Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Yahoo IM Phishing Attack

by Liuba13 / May 8, 2007 5:27 PM PDT

hello, I was sent a link via a friend's IM which turned out to be a phising attack. The link directed me to Yahoo Geocites page where I was prompted to log in using my Yahoo log in and password (which I did - yikes!) As a result, the same link was sent automatically to everyone in my IM address book, which prompted several of my friends to log in and do the same. Since I did this, I am able to get into my yahoo account as usual, but I am unable to change my account password.

Can someone please advise what the implications are for my computer at work and at home, since I use Yahoo IM in both places and I do access my yahoo account?

Also, should I just scrap that email address and open a brand new Yahoo account?

I've seen a number of online articles warning users about this, but no solutions are being mentioned. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo IM Phishing Attack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo IM Phishing Attack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
s
by Fr0! / May 10, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

What do you mean that you can't change the password? Does it give you an error? Does it require you to answer a secret question? I'd suggest you use that as a reset (provided you remember the answer) and try again.

Fr0

Collapse -
Yahoo phishing
by princessmandy / May 10, 2007 11:47 PM PDT

Hello that is happening a lot on Yahoo Instant Messenger. You need to contact Yahoo by going here http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/security/account_security/account_security-110323.html or calling their customer service support number and they will help you get your account back.
Yahoo Customer Care
866-562-7219 or 866-722-3755 or
408-349-3300

These people who steal your Yahoo passwords will go down your buddy list doing the same thing to the people on your list.

Collapse -
How do I delete the above?
by Hopeitworkx / May 11, 2007 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo phishing

I don't want my e-mail displayed in this thread. (the post which says "sent to...")

Collapse -
For Future Reference, Contact Mods as They Can...
by tobeach / May 13, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

arrange removal of Address or even whole post. They often do so without being asked (if they spot it)as just as service to help protect members.
After all, this IS a security forum !! Grin

Collapse -
Phishing via Yahoo msgr
by gocker35 / May 13, 2007 9:54 PM PDT

A number of my friends have received such links and asked for help. My reply is simple: never click on links unless the friend has told you beforehand that he/she is going to send you a link. If you can't get in to change your password, close messenger, reboot and start over. You should then be able to get to your account to make changes. If not, contact Yahoo directly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.