TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Y, Cb, Cr- vs- Y, Pb, Pr

by ksoiehawo / September 28, 2004 11:17 AM PDT

I have an DVD Player that supports Y, Pb, Pr component, but my television supports Y, Cb, and Cr. When I tried them together ( I didn't know they were different at first), the colors were all messed up- it turned out black and white. Is that normal? Or is there something wrong with my set, and would Y, Pb, Pr and Y, Cb and Cr have worked together fine?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Y, Cb, Cr- vs- Y, Pb, Pr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Y, Cb, Cr- vs- Y, Pb, Pr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whats the difference between Y, Pb, and Pr and Cb, Cr?
by ksoiehawo / September 28, 2004 3:39 PM PDT

What is the difference between Y, Pb, Pr and Y, Cb, Cr?
I am so confused! After looking a bit, I realized that my Toshiba 51H84 only has Y, Pb, Pr instead of the Y, Cb, Cr that i listed above. I don't know what to do with the Y, Cb, Cr cables I bought, because I bought them for about 100 bucks and they are past the deadline for refund now.

I heard from someone before that Y, Pb, Pr is for interlaced formats, and that Y, Cb, Cr is for Progressive. Is that true? because if that is, that'd be great- my TV's manual says that it supports both Progressive and Interlaced component inputs.

Anyways, does anyone know the support line for Toshiba? (It'd be great if it were a canadian one, but it doesn't have to be.)

Collapse -
Re: Whats the difference between Y, Pb, and Pr and Cb, Cr?
by Art / September 28, 2004 4:57 PM PDT

I don't think I have ever seen Cb abd Cr before; but I suspect it may be the same. Check your tv manuel, it should tell you what and how to set it for that connection (usually is with the remote control). I don't have the exact model so I can't tell you exactly, sorry.

Collapse -
by xfirej / September 28, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

Match the color on the cables to the set they should be the same ! JD

Collapse -
by Art / September 29, 2004 2:57 AM PDT

xfirej is correct. I have just consult my TV manuel; it is the same, it's just that some tv identified it as Cb and Cr. Also I may have given you the wrong info about tv remote thing but instead look for the info in the dvd manuel (trouble shooting area). Look for system menu on the remote (I remember doing that long ago).

Collapse -
Yes it's true!!!!!!
by jcrobso / November 6, 2007 12:55 AM PST

"I heard from someone before that Y, Pb, Pr is for interlaced formats, and that Y, Cb, Cr is for Progressive"
If you can't change the the output of the DVD player or the input of the HDTV to match then you have a problem.
A friend of mine got a new DVD player for his HDTV ready TV and had the same problem, I went into the setup menu of the DVD player and changed if from progressive to interlaced and all was well. John

Collapse -
Re: Y, Cb, Cr- vs- Y, Pb, Pr
by bent / September 29, 2004 8:03 AM PDT

If your TV set is HDTV-ready (and you have a progessive scan DVD), it likely supports progressive scan input. If this is the case, check to make sure that all of your connections are correct and that the DVD player is set to progressive scan output (480p, non-interlaced).

I suspect that your TV isn't HDTV ready (can't accept progressive input). You can still use the component video connections but you have to ensure that your DVD player is set to output 480i (interlaced).

I think I got that right - it's confusing as hell and some TV manufacturers mis-label the inputs. Check your manuals to make sure.

Collapse -
by ksoiehawo / September 29, 2004 8:55 AM PDT

My TV is HDTV ready... I matched the colored cables, everything works fine.. the resolution is awesome, but its all in black and white! and on the CNET HDTV World website, it says that Y, Cb, Cr has higher quality than Y, Pb, Pr.

Collapse -
by Art / September 29, 2004 5:38 PM PDT

So what happen? Are you able to select interlace mode for the DVD player? From what I read, it's not that Cb,Cr is better than Pb,Pr; it is better for interlace input signals only. As you can see it does not work with digital signal (progressive scan) which is suppose to be better than interlace. But anyway, there is always s-video in event nothing else works. Good luck.

Collapse -
CNET says Cr, Cb is progressive...wierd
by ksoiehawo / September 30, 2004 12:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oop...my mistake
by Art / September 30, 2004 4:41 PM PDT

Thanks for the link. I trust cnet wholeheartedly. I guess I got to be careful where I get my info from now on. So you don't have a progressive-scan dvd player?

Collapse -
I guess...
by ksoiehawo / October 1, 2004 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Oop...my mistake

I guess... my TV manual says it will support both progressive and interlaced component, although its labeled only Y, Pb, Pr on the TV, does that mean it will support both?

Collapse -
by SRenn / October 14, 2004 5:26 PM PDT

The cable is fine. Any video cable, composite, S-Video, Component, RGBHV, VGA is made up of coaxial 75ohm cables. Same for coaxial digital audio. Composite=1 coax, s-vid=2 coax, component=3 coax, RGBHV=5 coax, VGA=5 coax. The s-vid has a special connector, but internally it is made up of 2 coax's. I'm not talking about most of the cheap cables that come with your VCR. Your specific cable may be defective, but there is no different cable for your connection. Y, Cb, Cr is the same as Y, Pb, Pr. Component video is component video.

Collapse -
Note to thread, Y/Pb/Pr (analog history), Y/Cb/Cr (digital)
by rdunn / October 2, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

More than you want to know ;)...

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/compon.htm

Excerpts:
Y/Pb/Pr, or what we nowadays refer to as component video or color difference video, was invented to maintain compatibility with black and white TV, simplify video electronics and reduce the overall bandwidth requirements for transmitting video compared with RGB.

Today, most video experts use the term "component video" as short for "analog component video" consisting of the three signals Y (luminance), Pr (or V or R-Y), and Pb (or U or B-Y).

The term Y/Cb/Cr stands for the same three video signals but in digital form. Sometimes jacks on DVD players and other equipment are labeled Y, Cb, and Cr when Y, Pb, and Pr was intended.

Y/Pb/Pr versus YUV versus Y/Cb/Cr

Y/Pb/Pr is used for analog applications while Y/Cb/Cr is used for digital applications. Multiple standards exist both in the analog realm (Y/Pb/Pr) and the digital realm (Y/Cb/Cr). PAL and SECAM use YUV.

The terms Y/Pb/Pr, YUV, and Y/Cb/Cr are sometimes used interchangeably which is not quite correct.

Collapse -
component cables
by sampaone / November 5, 2007 9:18 AM PST

My question is will--- 1). "three high quality video cables", 2). "Y, Cr Cb cables" or 3). "Y Pr Pb cables" all work the same when connecting any HDTV source to any HDTV?

Collapse -
Y, cb cr is better than y Pb Pr right ?
by yuenjipason / July 7, 2010 1:17 PM PDT

Can you help explain the application of above component ?

Collapse -
I suppose it could be better, but...
by ahtoi / July 7, 2010 4:58 PM PDT

you won't find that in today's TV. If one want's a digital signal one will use hdmi connection. 6 years ago, there might be y,cb,cr.

Collapse -
They're the same . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 7, 2010 11:41 PM PDT

Just different annotations. They are the component connections versus composite. And did you notice the first question is six years old?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.