Dell forum

General discussion

xps8300

by newg / April 14, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

Just got new one and am updating drivers. I did it by running the service tag on dell site. It came back with a list of drivers so started downloading them. When I had a closer look I had about 10 for the video portion only one of which matches my video card for the 6450. Just wondering now if I actually need all the other drivers that I downloaded. I haven't installed them yet. I thought by using my service tag it would only list the drivers I need for my particular computer - so why did I get all the different video downloads? Any info on this would be helpful or I will phone dell - hate waiting on the phone. Thanks for your time. Gwen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xps8300
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xps8300
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My desktop takes 2 video drivers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: xps8300

One for the onboard video and another for the video card.

You do bring up a good point. Why would today's machines have use looking for drivers? It's been decades and isn't about time for this work to become a thing of the past? Has this concept of how we deal with Windows become too much for the consumers?
Bob

Collapse -
I blame the manufacture
by TWB404 / April 14, 2012 3:38 AM PDT

If they did not modify everything just for the sake of modifying, then we would not have near as many problems as we have. All of them do it but some are worst then others. Anyone who has a brand name puter does not have a true version of Windows installed on it. The manufacturer has tinkered with it so it would appear to be better. Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic being the worst but the others try so hard to be just as bad. If that was not enough to drive us crazy, they then have to modify the drivers. I see this as the greater sin that they commit. Windows and a driver for a hardware device should be the same for each system. That is why I prefer custom built system over brand name system. I can have a pure version of Windows that has not been tinkered with and the drivers from the hardware vendor. The sad thing about laptop is your stuck with the brand names and the things that they modify so they can claim they have made it better. If the manufacturer would spend more money on making sure we get reliable hardware and less money on trying to modify something that should not be modified we would all have better puters.

Collapse -
Could have sworn I had already posted here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 3:13 AM PDT

but nevermind, I will post again.

I take it this is a brand new Dell XPS 8300. If so, is it working OK?

If it is, why are you updating drivers already?

There are general rules about this;

1] If it works don't change it.

2] If there are no problems with drivers, don't update them.

Are you having problems?

Mark

Collapse -
For AMD video
by TWB404 / April 14, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

This is the link to AMD mobility 64 bit drivers. If you know how to manually uninstall your old drivers and install these then see how they work. You will download a small 1M file which will check your system for compatibility. If it passes, then it will offer to download the drivers for your card. Once the download finishes then uninstall your old drivers and install the AMD drivers. I have an HP laptop and they run better then HP modified version of the drivers. My system temps are even lower after I installed them. I have not tried them on Dell but it is worth a shot. I would also recommend, if you haven't, make your recovery DVD just in case. Good luck either way you go.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Collapse -
No, I'm not having problems...
by newg / April 14, 2012 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: For AMD video

but I got a list of 'things to do with your new computer' and step 5 was to update drivers and firmware. Are you saying, Mark, that the ones installed on here already should be good enough for now? Should I delete what I have downloaded but not installed? TWB404, thanks for the link will go there. I did think long and hard before buying a ready-built computer and didn't think I could build my own but have heard a lot of good about going that route - maybe for the next one. I so appreciate the help I get on the forums. Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes I am
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 8:57 PM PDT

If this new system is working as expected, and if there has been no notice of any sort that 'recommends' you update certain drivers, then personally I wouldn't.

With all my computers I have had since 1995 I have only ever updated video drivers once when I had a new video card installed, (and that wasn't a driver update because the video card was new and a different make), and downloaded and installed Intel RST SATA Controller software and drivers for a new hard drive on which I had installed a different OS.

Other than that, I have never updated drivers.

Mark

Collapse -
I'm going to disagree Mark
by TWB404 / April 15, 2012 12:21 AM PDT

If the unit is brand new it probably came with what I like to call preliminary drivers. You should at least do one update of the drivers. Manufacturer today live by the motto that they will fix the problems after the customer buys the puter. I have seen plenty in my day that came out of the box with odd little problems solved by the simple update of a driver. The main drivers to look for to update are LAN, W LAN, audio and video. M$ will cover most of the other drivers. If you want, list your hardware and we can tell you what else you should look to update.

I posted the wrong link above early for AMD drivers for your puter. I link the laptop video drivers and I should have posted the desktop drivers for a 6450. Sorry about that, I have a laptop that I use when I am online and have a tendency to think mobility when looking up things. The link below is for the desktop cards. This link will allow you to download the driver directly for any AMD video card you might have.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Collapse -
Okay doing the AMD...
by newg / April 15, 2012 11:49 AM PDT

driver now - huge file 161 MB. Where can I get the hardware list to post on here? Relatively non-computer literate here.

Collapse -
Good question
by TWB404 / April 16, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay doing the AMD...

Open your device manager. You can do that by opening your control panel and click on system and security. The third line down you will see system. You will find the device manager under it. When you open it you will see the hardware devices you have. You will see pointers that show the devices on your puter. If you click the pointers they will open a line that will name the devices that you have installed on your puter. I will list the ones that I know that Windows does not cover on most system.

Display Adapter = that should be your video card

Network Adapter = that should be your LAN and Wireless network cards.

Sound, Video and game controller = unless you have special hardware you should just see your audio devices

Just about everything else you see in the device manager will have drivers furnished by Windows unless you have extra hardware on your puter. For example, did a web cam come with it or did you buy one and add it.

To list some that drivers are furnished by Windows.

Hard drive, DVD, Monitor and keyboard.

Collapse -
Disagree if you will
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 8:02 PM PDT

but the general maxim still remains;

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.

Mark

Collapse -
To a point your right but wrong lol
by TWB404 / April 16, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Disagree if you will

As a tech for more then 30 plus years I have found that messing with things that are not broke can lead to breaking it. I also found that preventive maintenance can save you a lot of headaches. When it comes to brand new puters out of the box it can be broke and you not know it. I have sat down in front of puters 6 months to a year old with odd problems. When I say odd I mean you just would not have thought it to be the driver. My favorite was an audio buzz that you would have bet your bottom dollar that it had a bad ground somewhere in the preamp circuits. Turn out to be nothing more then a driver update to fix that. A little prevent maintenance by updating drivers can save a person time later.

New puters come from the manufactures with preliminary drivers and everyone should take the time to update them.

Collapse -
On my research path...
by newg / April 16, 2012 12:15 PM PDT

I found out about slim computer. The download has a slim driver tool which I ran and it came up with 5 drivers I needed so ran that and everything seems to be OK. I'm going to delete the ones I downloaded from the dell site. I suppose the discussion will go on as to update or not... Thanks so much for all your input. Gwen

Collapse -
No, no more arguments
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: On my research path...

at least from me! Happy

Glad you got everything sorted, and thanks for letting us know.

Mark

Collapse -
Good to hear
by TWB404 / April 16, 2012 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: On my research path...

I am glad that you found what you needed. Five drivers sounds right and should set you up for a more reliable puter.

Collapse -
Video Driver for your XPS 8300
by Dell_Aniesh_A / June 13, 2012 3:29 AM PDT

Hi Newg,

I am Aniesh from Social Media And Community at Dell. Below given is the direct download link for the Driver that is applicable for the "AMD Caicos Radeon HD6450 " which is present on your System.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=DYH3V&FileId=2731099596&productCode=xps-8300&urlProductCode=False

Download the driver on your Computer first.
Before you install the driver from the above link please uninstall the existing Video Driver from Device Manger & also from Programs and Features.
Restart Computer & then install the Driver from the Desktop or your preferred downloaded location.
Let me know if this works.

Regards
Dell- Aniesh
Dell | Social Media Outreach

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.