Dell forum

General discussion

XPS 420 will not boot, fans on high

by was6477 / January 18, 2010 10:16 AM PST

I tried to power on the computer the other day and it would not boot. THe power button on the front of the case is blue, indicator lights 1, 3, and 4 stay on. The hard drive indicator is solid for about 5 seconds then turns off. The fans remain on high. Sometimes if I am lucky the monitor will turn on, but then will shut off. I have recently switched out mother boards to a refurbished Dell, switched out the memory and have disconnected and reconnected everything in the case. Please advise. Desperation is starting....

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XPS 420 will not boot, fans on high
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XPS 420 will not boot, fans on high
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update
by was6477 / January 19, 2010 2:59 AM PST

Starting to track this down. I have pulled everything off the motherboard. With just the motherboard with power, CPU. All cards are out, all RAM is out, hard drive disconnected, front panel has power.

1) I am getting a blue power button on the front of the case, indicator light 1 only, the miniview on the case is displaying "No memory modules detected".

2) Added 1 gig of new Dell memory, not the same memory that came with the computer. Getting indicator lights 1, 2, and 3. Power button onfront of case is still blue. Miniview display shows "Card case fan failure"; "CPU fan Failure", "System Battery Voltage is low", and "No Display device found".

3) Connected what I now know are the CPU/Card case fans. Indicator lights 1, 2, and 3 are on, blue power button. Miniview displays "System battery voltage is low" and "No display device found". After the messages and indicator lights came up I heard two quick beeps. I also plugged this directly into a wall outlet and got the same results. The hard drive, dvd burner are not connected yet. network card, phone/fax, video card are not connected.

I am headed to the store to pick up a new battery CR2032.

Collapse -
Having same problem
by svangogh / February 1, 2010 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Update

I have an XPS 420 and all of a sudden it is doing the same thing. Won't start, fan running on high, and panel lights 1, 3, & 4 lit.

Curious if you've solved the problem. I haven't changed anything on this sytem in over a month.

Collapse -
holy crap!
by chickenorfish / February 13, 2010 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Having same problem

holy crap mine just did this today as well! thank god dell has 24/7 support. i talked to a tech and theyre gonna try new memory and a new motherboard next week

i removed all the memory, vid card and hard drives which didnt seem to do anything. i got the numbers 1 3 4

glad i got 3 year warranty cause i just past the 2 year mark...tho i wouldnt mind getting a new computer either hehe

Collapse -
Fixed!!
by svangogh / February 15, 2010 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: holy crap!

This was rediculously simple on my computer...I saw some postings about changing the CR2032 battery on the motherboard...as I was attempting to remove the old battery I heard it "click" into place.

I hit the power button and...voila...no more problem!

Collapse -
interesting
by chickenorfish / February 16, 2010 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed!!

thx, ill mention that to the tech who will be here soon

Collapse -
Re Fixed
by AnnoyedDell420User / March 19, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed!!

Hi Svangogh,

Just wondering if since your post the problem remained resolved as I'm also encountering the same problem on an XPS 420 bought in 2007 and cant find a single definitive solution? Also by changing that battery mind if I ask, did it affect anything else, HDD or just reset system clock? Any insight would be greatly appreciated Happy

Collapse -
come on dell...
by chickenorfish / February 16, 2010 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: holy crap!

new motherboard and memory did nothing. when the tech saw the lights (the same the i told the indian phone support) he said it was the video card or psu...

dell told me either get all new parts and hope it works, or if the parts arnt available (its a 2 year old system) get a replacement from a newer model. however that would take up to 3 weeks!!! i said look for the parts, i wasnt waiting 3 weeks...

i suggested giving me a $500 coupon towards a new system, they said no deal...

Collapse -
today they replaced
by chickenorfish / February 17, 2010 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: come on dell...

today they replaced the cpu, psu and gpu and it works now. the tech said he thought it was only the gpu tho. oh well, new parts in my computer now

Collapse -
Start up Issues
by ward733 / February 19, 2010 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: today they replaced

It does sound as though your CPU or Powersupply was faulty. Glad you are up and going.

Collapse -
Solution for this problem
by Burdok13 / January 27, 2012 1:46 AM PST

The problem you have is with the video card, Nvidia Chips always crash you can remove the video card and do a reflow on the chip should be work fine

Collapse -
Nvidia chips always crash?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Mine haven't.

"Do a reflow on the chip? What is that?

Mark

Collapse -
Are you kidding me? You haven't heard of this MAJOR DEFECT?
by ugapug / January 28, 2012 10:47 AM PST

No offense, but the fact that there was a class action lawsuit related to Nvidia laptop GPUs, not to mention a major factory recall from at LEAST HP ( as I had one of the units affected and have first hand knowledge), makes me pretty sure your experience was the exception, not the rule. If you honestly don't know what the "reflow method" is, perhaps you should do a little research, as this can return these flawed units to light duty service. I also doubt that shops are going to be doing this work, as most I know won't even work on the units with this GPU installed because it's so flawed and likely to repeat the same issues.

Collapse -
No respectable shop I know does that. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 2:18 AM PST

While you see/read this as a last ditch fix to such cards, the shops that warrant their work won't do this.

Be sure you accept the responsibility when you perform such acts. Or have the owner sign off that it is a hack.
Bob

Collapse -
It can be done!!
by davethesteam / April 23, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

Hi all,

Advice given in good faith but without warranty:

I had this problem yesterday, system is about 4 years old, no problems so far. After swapping memory sticks around (existing sticks, no new ones) reseating the CPU etc. etc. I had got nowhere. Then I found the post above. I removed the video card and whilst the system did not boot it worked enough to tell me there was no video card installed - i.e. normally for this condition.

I reflowed the video chips and hey presto it worked normally. Ignore all the stuff about memory and motherboards - it's the video card!!!!!! (Probably)

I reflowed the chips on the video card by removing the heatsink, using spray-on SM rework flux on the chips, making sure it gets under the chips and a hot-air gun on low with a small nozzle. Warmed up the chips slowly until the solder on the top of the board melted, (put a small piece of solder on a big soldered joint and wait until the solder melts) then another 10 seconds. LEAVE TO COOL SLOWLY. Then clean and re-assemble.

BTW I have considerable experience in performing strange tasks with electronics, if you don't have the kit or don't understand the operation then maybe you should not try this - on the other hand you may not have a lot to lose, your call.

David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.