Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

XP won't let me use mouse in Safe Mode

by xin / November 4, 2003 4:28 AM PST

XP freezes my mouse solid to the screen in Safe Mode. It won't let me use it.
I use keyboard to scoll tro' desktop icons but with no mouse, i can't do anything. I simply shut the system down.
Everything works fine in normal startup. Device Manager shows that XP uses 2 drivers for my logitec mouse in %\system32\Drivers\mouclass.sys, & sermouse.sys
is BOOT.INI refusing to load those 2 logitec drivers in Safe Mode?
How can i modify BOOT.INI to include mouse drivers? Is that possible at all?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP won't let me use mouse in Safe Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP won't let me use mouse in Safe Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB mice don't work in Safe Mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2003 4:51 AM PST
Collapse -
by xin / November 4, 2003 6:15 AM PST

Thanks Proffitt, but the logitec mouse is cable connected to PS/2 port. (NOT wireless)
Also, remember it works fine in normal startup but i certainly want it to work in Safe Mode incase something goes kaput.
How can i tell if BOOT.INI loads the mouse drivers in safe mode? And what commands should i add to boot.ini to make it work?

Collapse -
My Logitech Wheel Mouse on PS/2 works fine in all modes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2003 6:30 AM PST

But I didn't load ANY Logitech software since it wasn't required. You may have to talk to Logitech on how to uninstall said drivers?

Or try the Add/Remove Software, or the remove driver feature in the Device Manager?

Bob

Collapse -
by xin / November 4, 2003 9:25 AM PST

You're quite rigt Bob, all windows versions up to xp identifies this logitec mouse without requiring any additional drivers.
The 2 drivers i found from Device Manager - mouclass.sys & sermouse.sys - are xp's native drivers which it uses to run the mouse. I didn't install it.
I only brought it to the attention of the technical staff to know which drivers xp is using for my mouse. But i didn't manually install it.
If all other PS/2 mice work well in safe mode, does it mean xp don't like the logitec i'm using?

Collapse -
The :XP won't let you use THAT mouse in Safe Mode
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2003 10:24 AM PST

There are a few out there like that.

I don't know of a cure since I don't keep such mice around for long.

(reprise...)
"Three blind mice
Three blind mice
See how they run
See how they run

They all ran after
The farmer's wife
She cut off their tails
With a carving knife
Did you ever see
Such a sight in your life
As three blind mice?"

Bob

Collapse -
XP won't let me use THAT mouse in Safe Mode
by xin / November 4, 2003 2:28 PM PST

Ok guys, thanks for your great help.
i'll hop down to the shelves to grab another one for try. Wish me luck but should you stumble on any new info, please post it here.
Thanks greatly.

Collapse -
I agree with Bob- could be THAT mouse- (or Logitech in general...)
by Brandon Eng / November 4, 2003 11:03 AM PST

I've seen plenty of problems regarding Logitech mice and keyboards. Like Bob, when I did use a Logitech mouse and keyboard, I let XP load the drivers. Still, I've seen people with problems such as yours when you haven't loaded any Logitech drivers. Could be that XP and Logitech simply don't get along on certain systems? Or MS screwed up somehow (surprise, surprise)?

Collapse -
could be...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2003 8:22 PM PST

The Logitech story is a twisted one. For most of their product line of mice and keyboards, the OS's just work fine (there are exceptions!)

But what happens is that the extra 20 keys on a keyboard may do nothing which is fine by me compared to an issue where Logitech feigned a 'nothing wrong we know about' in which no amount of system cajoling would bring back the XP OS. Eventually a method of reverting to the stock OS drivers was provided, but what a headache.

I can't write I don't like the Logitech hardware. Now that we are into optical mice the issues with the old roller ball mice seem to have faded away.

My advice is simple. Try the device without the Logitech drivers. REALLY TRY to make do without the Logitech drivers since they repeatedly have stubbed their toe over this too many times.

Of course, my view on this may be skewed. People only bring me the failures.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.