Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP won't boot

by slappy99 / January 26, 2013 6:34 AM PST

I have an old (10 years?) Compaq Deskpro EN, which one day when I was online, shut down. When I tried to restart, nothing happened, just a black screen with a blinking dash mark in the upper left hand corner. A friend of mine gave me this computer with XP professional already installed. I don't have the installation CD or the bootdisk cd, so the good folks at CyberTech help forum walked me through the process of burning a restore disk online. When I inserted the disk, I actually did get something other than a blank screen. Sometimes I'm able to get to the Windows Setup screen, and sometimes not. When I do get to the setup screen, I'm asked if I want to install XP (which I don't because I'm hoping to retrieve files), or repair an existing installation. When I choose repair, sometimes I can get to the recovery console. When able to do this, I'm asked which system I'd like to log onto. Since there's only one option, I choose 1, then enter. From there, I type in the command prompt chkdsk. At this point I get a series of error messages, it seems a different one each time I try:

STOP: c0000139 (entry point not found) The procedure entry point NtSerialize Boot could not be located in the dymanic.link library ntdll.dll

file\i386\ntkrnlm[.exe could not be loaded
The error code is 7

file setupdd.sys could not be loaded
The error code is 7

STOP: c0000221 UnKnown Hard Error
\systemRoot\system32\ntdll.dll

Anyone dealt with this before? The moderator from CyberTech lives in Germany, and with the time difference, we've been going back and forth for a week, with no progress. I thought I'd give Cnet a try. Also, I can't access BIOS (del I think) or safemode (F8?). When I tap these keys, I just get a beeping noise from the tower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a hardware failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: XP won't boot

XP on older gear usually just installs. But if the machine needs work such as cleaning the heat sinks, replacement of the heat sink compound or a failed drive, all those errors can happen.

So yes, I have but usually I fix the PC first. The errors do not tell you what to replace. HOWEVER the blinking underscore has been seen a lot when folk have things plugged into USB ports. So I always unplug USB cords and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
XP won't boot
by slappy99 / January 26, 2013 9:03 AM PST

So, what now? If there's a hardware failure, how do I find out what's failing? The only thing I have plugged into a USB port is a receiver for a wireless keyboard and mouse. I unplugged and reinstalled and nothing has changed.

Collapse -
Just like any PC tech does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: XP won't boot

They swap parts. The blinking underscore is just one clue. I can't tell you what to swap but I'd try running Linux on it and see if that installs to the HDD.
Bob

Collapse -
Linux?
by slappy99 / January 27, 2013 10:02 AM PST

Can you tell me something about Linux? I've tried burning several system restore cds without any luck. I'd like to be able to save any files which might still exist on this computer, and don't wish to install a new operating system. Can this application help to repair windows xp? I don't know a lot about computers, but I am capable of following instructions. I've successfully fixed a few crashed computers in the past, with the help of the pros. Any tips or advice will be very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Ahh, save the files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: Linux?

Too many ways to do that but my favorite is this cable from the drive to a working PC.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020

Next up is getting the PC to boot from CD. Now we are talking about a XP PC that can be very old and no longer boot from CD or DVD. You would try it but know that failed CD/DVD drives are legendary. And at the shop counter a day does not go by that folk want the CD/DVD drive fixed (not replaced.)

Why I boot Linux up is if it doesn't run either I know there are problems with the PC. I can't guess which part as I am not there to see all the clues.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.