Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP, which new computers will run it?

by elkinallen / June 28, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

I want to get a new computer but I want to run XP on it. I am having a hard time finding help with this. Mostly I am told- ' computers, you can't load XP over Vista...'
Can I fresh load XP on new hardware? Such as building a new computer?

Thanks all!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP, which new computers will run it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP, which new computers will run it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With most hardware, yes
by Steven Haninger / June 28, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

but you'll need to research each component for compatibility, drivers, etc. Mainly you'll be dealing with motherboards, video and sound devices. You'll not want to load up on RAM if using 32 bit architecture. No more than 4 gigs.

Collapse -
I think they are right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2009 9:49 PM PDT

The key words are "you can't." Here's why most say this. There are hurdles and obstacles such as and then you might want all the devices such as sound and more to work. Remember that Windows not long ago did not have sound, networking or much else so while we can get the OS installed, all the other stuff may not work.

And if you try this on a laptop, it gets harder.

-> If you must run XP I suggest you buy it that way. These are still available in the business lines from Dell, HP and Apple has "Bootcampe."

You also ask "Can I fresh load XP on new hardware? Such as building a new computer?" which is answered only by you. Can you? Since you selected the parts, you would pick parts with XP drivers?

Collapse -
If you can find drivers
by Jimmy Greystone / June 28, 2009 11:46 PM PDT

If you can find drivers for the hardware that work with XP, then you can run it on virtually any computer. However, that's the big thing, whether or not you can find drivers for the hardware or not. Most often the answer is not, and in such cases you're screwed.

But in all honesty, Vista really isn't half as bad as people like to try and make it out to be, unless you buy some cheap sub-500USD POS computer where the quality of the thing is questionable at best. In which case it's more the fault of crap hardware than it is Vista. You could install Linux on that system, and it would probably stumble and fall quite a bit too. Maybe not as much as Vista, which doesn't take well to shoddy hardware, and it's driver model makes it extremely vulnerable to a poorly written driver, but bad hardware is bad hardware. Any OS will have problems if the OS is expecting a yes or no response, and the hardware sends an answer of "France". The OS will naturally then wonder WTF the hardware is talking about, which we interpret as a crash.

Collapse -
by elkinallen / July 1, 2009 7:17 PM PDT

Thank you all for responding. Very helpful.

I will look into the driver aspect of it.
I do have a computer running Vista. It is fine. It's just that some of my programs that I want to continue playing with won't run on Vista, such a s a few games and audio files.

Thank you all very much.

Collapse -
SOLUTIONS to that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

For example I installed Virtual Box and got some old DOS thing to run.

As to the audio files, I went with VLC PLAYER.

Collapse -
another option
by jeff_windows_team / July 2, 2009 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I know this won't help you for a few months, but you should also consider Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, as they have "XP Mode" which lets people run some programs that were meant for XP in a virtual mode in Windows 7.

Out of curiosity what audio files can't you play in Vista?

Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Thanks again
by elkinallen / July 6, 2009 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: another option

I will look into these things. VLC and Virtual box. Any other help out there would be appretiated very much. I just want to play my files. If anyone knows of another sound recorder/converter, this would be nice too. The files are simply recorded of the computer playing a sound,, anything audible that comes through the computer is recorded by the X-fi software's player sound recorder. I was then converting them to a WMA and recording them to disc or saving them and playing them via any player. Such as winamp or whatever. I was able to do this with XP but it is a no go with Vista. The files are recorded but cannot be played back. By anything! Not even the X-fi player! The files are recorded in WAV format with a bitrate of 18432. When I try to play them back through the player, simply nothing happens. With winamp, a error message saying no sound buffer' happens.

Any help on this.

I'll look into the VLC and Virtual box.

Collapse -
The other sound recorder convertor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2009 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again
Collapse -
Thanks again
by elkinallen / July 13, 2009 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again

I am still working on it.

I'll certainly let you all know how it all worked out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.