Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP very slow to start

by steve1960uk / January 10, 2008 2:29 AM PST

Hello everyone I am hoping that someone out there can help me with my problem. When I start my computer everything goes fine and fast showing me the what I have got in my computer etc etc. My problem starts when I get the windows xp on my screen and the little moving bar underneath to show me windows is starting up it is taking anything upto 10 minutes before the screen changes to my desktop and allows me to use my computer. I have recently changed my power pack and reforrmated my system.Before everything was fine has anyone any ideas what could be causing this please.

Thanking you all
Steve H

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP very slow to start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP very slow to start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you reviewed former discussions about this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2008 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: XP very slow to start
Collapse -
Slow Start up
by steve1960uk / January 11, 2008 4:11 AM PST

Hi Bob. I have tried about everything suggested. I am running windows xp home on a AMD Sempron 2800+ and a Winfast K8S 755A motherboard. Someone suggested it could be something to do with my motherboard have you ant suggestions something about cpu clock speed any help would be most appreciated because the computer is heading for the nearest window.

Cheers Steve H

Collapse -
Slow Start up
by billzhills / January 11, 2008 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Slow Start up

Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive and memory?

First step in troubleshooting a system ....

Collapse -
So did this Winfast K8S 755A come with a driver CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2008 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: Slow Start up

You didn't give me an answer about drivers we must install after XP...

Collapse -
by steve1960uk / January 12, 2008 6:50 AM PST

HI Bob I have run the diagnostic checks on both my hard drive and windows xp. I have installed all my drivers as per the instructions on my desk top. when I go into device manager it is showing me all is well and I have no conflicts. I have a sneaky feeling it is to do with my bios settings on the motherboard and that is all new territory with me my motherboard did come with a driver cd and have installed it as the install manager advised me.

Steve h

Collapse -
by steve1960uk / January 12, 2008 6:52 AM PST

Sorry bill it must be getting to me this damn computer I keep calling you bob please accept my apologies.

Collapse -
The lack of details will haunt us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2008 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: oops

For instance most CDs have out of date drivers. There is also an issue with IDE speed and XP as we read

But I don't know what drive connections you used, how old those drivers are etc...

Are you seeing those words in red when you post here?

Collapse -
by steve1960uk / January 12, 2008 7:50 PM PST

HI Bob
Have done what you suggested via the link you provided but no change. I am reading the replies in black and white not red. My main driver dates are as follows.

ACPI uni processor. Driver date 01/07/2001 version 5.1.2600.0

Hard drive Driver date 01/07/2001 version 5.1.2535.0

AMD sempron processor 2800+ Driver date 16/04/2007 version

Nvidia geforce fx5900xt Driver date 05/12/2007 version

Hope this can help because I know your going out of your way to haelp me and I am most grateful.

Collapse -
Here are the words in red.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2008 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Drivers

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

I have a similar system and it's not a great performer. Try the newer socket AMDs next time. Also, I couldn't find which connection you used for the hard disk.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / January 12, 2008 10:08 PM PST

Use the NTBTLOG.TXT file to potentially identify startup problems.

a. "Enable Boot Logging" to creates a text log file in the systemroot directory (Windows) with this name and can be double-clicked for viewing. The log lists files that Windows attempts to load and precedes the path of each by identifying them as Loaded driver or Did not load driver. Restart the computer, and when prompted, press F8, and then select Enable Boot Logging on the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Else, the articles [Q833721], [Q323427] and "Additional information and help with the boot.ini" discusses the procedure for editing the Boot.ini file to enable boot logging.

Note: If a critical system file is corrupted or missing, Windows might generate a STOP message or write an entry to the "Event logs" or both, which you may not even be aware of.

b. To check an item listed in the Did not load driver section:

? Check for zero byte files or files with date and time stamps that do not match the Windows installation date.

? Compare files in systemroot\System32 to the same files on the Windows CD or another computer running the same edition (and service pack(s)).

? Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) command-line tool to inspect system files, [Q310747].

P.S.: You mentioned earlier that you see no text in "RED". Bob did not mean text in a reply as being "RED" but means the text that is above the subject title box right after you click to enter a message or reply to another person. Do you not see that?

Collapse -
by steve1960uk / January 13, 2008 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: NTBTLOG.TXT

Thaxs for the reply now i am completely lost. How do I get into the area that I can test for missing files.

Collapse -
Anything you see in "blue"
by Cursorcowboy / January 13, 2008 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: ?????

is an item to be clicked on for it's instructions.

Collapse -
But it does allow you to use your computer?
by nvo / January 16, 2008 10:23 AM PST

When you get into windows and work, does it work as normal?

If it does, try booting the computer with the network card off or no cable plugged in. See if that solves anything.

Try booting into safemode, see if that is the same issue. (safemode, not safemode with networking).

Collapse -
by BatRamboZPM / January 16, 2008 9:18 PM PST

I have the same problem with Windows XP64. It starts after I install TweakUI (and change few parameters). It can run in Safe mode and works fine. It means that we have software problem, may be driver or something like that. Also I tried to repair windows from instalation CD. The problem still persists.

Only person who have the same problem can understan what exactly the problem is. So if I found a solution, I will post message here.

Collapse -
by BatRamboZPM / January 17, 2008 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: pre-solution

My computer works fine again. I connect network cable. I'm not sure that it is a solution but... it works for mee. I also disabled few drivers and services trought repair console. I don't know.

Collapse -
startup items
by AceCT-2214807889169935659 / January 17, 2008 7:14 PM PST

Hey there, goto start -> run and type msconfig then press enter. it will open up the system startup options. BE CAREFUL IN HERE as you can mess up your startup. goto the far right tab and look at all the items in there. If you have a ton of startup items, it will slow your boot. try unchecking some of these and see if windows boots ok. if it is faster, try checking them a few at a time to see if there is one in particular that is causing a problem. note: this is more of a troubleshooting tool than a solution. once you find out what is slowing it down, uninstall that program to fix the problem.

Collapse -
solution available
by amitcf / July 5, 2009 5:42 AM PDT

hello friend
i too faced the same problem night beore i shut down my pc normally but on the next day my windows xp suddenly got very slow to work

the problem was it worked good till the log in and password window appears and after that as i type my id and password it becomes terribly slow to reach desktop and do work

the activities which i did for the last visit which i suspected were

1) changing registry of yahoo to make multiple yahoo

2) copying a game from my friend

3)installing rediff bol provided by my friend

so for point 2 and 3

i managed to remove the game and rediff with using ms dos prompt from the start up f8 option

but it didnt worked what actually waorked was
i had "registry repair wizard 2009" installed on my pc which i managed to run in normal mode and cleaned the registry errors although it worked very slow due to problem.

and wen i next rebooted i was amazed it worked and saved me from expenditure and panic of formatting

thanks a lot to the makers of registry repair wizard 2009

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.