Windows 7

General discussion

XP to Windows 7

by mpawluk / May 23, 2010 1:56 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP to Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP to Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not with that but it does fail on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2010 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: XP to Windows 7

For example Office 2007's activation kicks in among other apps so the move of installed programs do fail with annoying regularity.

I did use Microsoft's transfer wizard and it worked fine. I then installed the few programs I needed immediately and I was up so I don't see the need for this app.
Bob

Collapse -
XP to windows 7
by mpawluk / May 24, 2010 12:22 AM PDT

thanks

Collapse -
That's a bold claim.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 23, 2010 9:09 PM PDT

"Parallels Desktop Upgrade to Windows 7 is the only complete solution that allows you to move all your programs, files, user settings and media to Windows 7 simply, safely and successfully."

My underlining.

It's difficult to live up to a claim like that.

Mark

Collapse -
I agree with Mark...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 24, 2010 3:11 AM PDT

It sure is a bold claim! Though it takes more time than upgrading from Vista, I'd recommend running the Upgrade Advisor and then backing up programs, files, and settings that you want to save and doing a clean installation of Windows 7.

This way you get a fresh, new start and you don't have to worry about claims from sources that may be unreliable. Happy

Cheers,
Cassandra

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.