Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP System Configuration Utility

by sullyrick / December 5, 2012 3:28 AM PST

I am running XP - Service Pack 3

StartUp Menu was slow loading so I went to MSCONFG (SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY). I noticed that the General Tab was set to Selective StartUp. I switched it to Normal StartUp and rebooted. This started causing issues/messages (ie. computer at risk, programs not loaded etc.). So I tried changing MSCONFIG back to Selective Startup. I tried this as Admin and in Safe Mode. My problem is that no matter what I try, I cannot get MSCONFIG to return to Selective StartUp. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP System Configuration Utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP System Configuration Utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by JiniOnline / December 5, 2012 6:54 PM PST

When you choose the selective StartUp and reboot, there should have an option with check box to not showing next time.
Select that option and reboot. Don't worry, XP shows that when you change StartUp option.

Collapse -
by sullyrick / December 6, 2012 2:07 AM PST

Yes, I saw the box you speak of but that is not the problem. I cannot get MSCONFIG to return to Selective StartUp as it was before I switched it to Normal StartUp.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try system restore to just before this issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
by sullyrick / December 6, 2012 9:52 AM PST

No, I thought about doing a restore after the problem occured but unfortunately for some reason backup/restore was shut off. I'm usually careful about making changes but this time I forgot to do a backup before the change. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Now keep in mind there is a rare bug I've encountered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 9:58 AM PST

I ran into this a few times where I could configure it to selective startup but when I saved, rebooted the tab didn't show my settings. There is no known cure or fix for that. (unless you think a clean install is the fix.)

I rarely have to use this anymore as I've gotten better at fixing the normal startup issues that have me use this.

Why not try fixing the issues that have you using selective startup?

And let's me clear that many of the newer antivirus with "product protection" do cause issues like this!
Bob

Collapse -
by sullyrick / December 6, 2012 9:34 PM PST

I was afraid that the only solution was a clean install. I have the original image recovery disks that came with computer. So, I probably will have to go that route. I've done it before although I do remember it wasn't a very pleasant expierence (update drivers etc). Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Collapse -
Did you try to uncheck ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 9:41 PM PST

the items in your normal startup (Startup tab of MSCONFIG) to see if any of those cause this issue?

Kees

Collapse -
The issue I noted is cosmetic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:38 AM PST

And will repeat for most folk as they repeat what broke it.

This is why I suggest working on the issue that caused you to use selective startup.
Bob

Collapse -
by sullyrick / December 7, 2012 9:52 PM PST

Bob, I actually didn't pick Selective Startup. It was already set to that when I first tried to fix the slow startup issue. I never intentially set it to Selective. It's odd that my other old computer is also set to Selective Startup. Whereas my "brand new" computer is set to Normal. I guess I'm a little confused now as to what is the Norm for the start up settings (Normal or Selective) and what would cause it to go to Selective if Normal is the normal setting.

Collapse -
Many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 12:29 AM PST

An antivirus that is disabling something in conflict, malware, trojan or other. Your last reply clarified it for me.

But the cause is still a mystery as it's unknown what is installed.
Bob

Collapse -
by sullyrick / December 9, 2012 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Many things.

Bob - you've given me an idea..... Before I get into using the restore disks, I think I'm going to start uninstalling programs. This may or may not solve the problem but I think it's worth a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.