Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP startup slow after Google Chrome install

by ac1818 / May 11, 2010 9:53 PM PDT

XP takes a very long time to start after installing Google Chrome. However if I uninstall it XP goes back to normal. Can you please helo as I like to use Google Chrome however the slow startup is annoying.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP startup slow after Google Chrome install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP startup slow after Google Chrome install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Review your system
by Willy / May 11, 2010 10:10 PM PDT

Not to say it isn't happening to you, but Chrome shouldn't be causing this problem. You may have a situation or tipping point due to various pgms. booting up. Disable or shutdown any other non-critical pgms. and check results. Since, nothing else is mentioned of your system, it leaves much to you to review what can be removed/deleted as well as a general clean-up of the system to help improve the situation. If there are any "toolbars" added either through Chrome or somewhere else, you may look into removing them as well. Of course, the source of Chrome could come into play, but that's only a guess, little to work here.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What else?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 10:16 PM PDT

Many install the Google desktop among other things. It's unlikely Chrome is the cause here.
Bob

Collapse -
My suspicions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 11:08 PM PDT

rest with other Google components, like Google Updater, attempting to connect to the internet whilst Windows is still loading.

Check the Startup tab of MSCONFIG, and see if Google has placed any of it's components in there.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Should I post a list of programs ?
by ac1818 / May 12, 2010 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: My suspicions
Collapse -
Do you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 7:04 PM PDT

those that are listed in MSCONFIG?

Not necessary as you can research those yourself using Google or your favorite search engine. But if there are any Google entries in the startup tab of MSCONFIG then they are not needed, and you can remove the ticks from them.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes
by ac1818 / May 12, 2010 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Do you mean

I have only basically noticed "google updater". Nothing else which makes me confused

Collapse -
Yep, that would be my first suspect.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Remove that from startup, (just remove the tick), and see if that improves startup times.

Google, Adobe, Real products, Quicktime, and perhaps many others, all want your system to connect to the internet immediately to check for updates to their products, and so in my view, if there is no viable internet connection yet, loading of Windows stalls. Or, if there is a viable internet connection, Windows waits for the updater to check before continuing to load. Whether stalls or waits, or just slows down loading, the effect is often the same.

The only way to find out for sure is to try it and see if startup improves.

Mark

Collapse -
Tried That (No solution)
by ac1818 / May 12, 2010 9:22 PM PDT

Well I have wireless internet and my internet is connected at startup. I tried removing google updater and that did not fix this problem.
Would I just have to reinstall windows?
Any other solutions?

Collapse -
Oh I wouldn't consider that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:25 PM PDT

talk of reinstalling Windows is a little premature.

How about uninstalling Chrome instead?

Mark

Collapse -
Let me add this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:48 PM PDT
http://winhlp.com/node/10 notes a very common reason for XP slowdowns. But since you claim uninstalling Chrome fixes it, WHY NOT DO THAT? There is no compelling reason to stick with Chrome today.
Bob
Collapse -
I like to have Googe Chrome
by ac1818 / May 13, 2010 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Let me add this.

That is not an option because I like google chrome's speed.

As you said that this problem should not be Chrome's fault but it can be related to other programs Installed. Is there a way I can find which program causes this problem.?

Collapse -
Google the.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 11:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Downloaded Program
by ac1818 / May 14, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Google the.

I have downloaded the program but I found it very hard to follow the instructions or create a log of startup information. I didn't understand where I typed in the link. I tried in cmd but nothing happened.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Downloaded Program

This is a tool that takes time to get a handle on. It's the tool I've used time and time again but here's the rub. When I have to use this tool, what I discover is a new issue and never the same one.

For example the last slow down was some very odd interaction with TeaTimer and Norton. The poor owner was all the while saying "it's worked like this for years." You have to be silent, bite your tongue and move on.
Bob

Collapse -
I noticed something
by ac1818 / May 14, 2010 3:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

When I used process explorer by itself and opened it using the run command as soon as windows xp started (destop appeared blank due to problem i noticed the computer using 0% memory for about 40sec and then all the icons started loading.

Collapse -
(NT) Does this help?
by ac1818 / May 16, 2010 4:40 PM PDT
In reply to: I noticed something
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, Does mean anything in solving this?
by ac1818 / May 17, 2010 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Does this help?
Collapse -
Process Explorer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

Is a just above beginner's tool and takes time to get accustomed to its use. Also you get to research what you find (I use google) to see what's going on.

All I can share is that as we mix this app with that app we create new systems. If your system acts oddly it is not because of Chrome but Chrome plus this or that. Since I don't know what's in the total package and even if I did I still might not know what combination is toxic. And those combinations change as updates to antivirus and apps arrive.

What you learn is to eject what you can, do without any extras that you can. For example I never install any keyboard or mouse enhancement software. Just one of the lessons from the past. You get to discover what's up with your creation.
Bob

Collapse -
Will Try and figure out how to use it
by ac1818 / May 20, 2010 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Process Explorer

I tried booting up the computer with a diagnostic startup and I still had the same problem. I will try and figure out how to use process explorer however would a repair install of xp sp2 help. If it will would it work if i have sp3 installed now?

Collapse -
Don't see why a repair install is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 8:03 PM PDT

As presented....

1. With Chrome = Slow.
2. Without Chrome = Normal.

If there is something else going on, not been told yet.

If you happen to post or email me a HIJACKTHIS log I'll look that over as it will show what's under the hood.
Bob

Collapse -
I can do that. Thanks
by ac1818 / May 20, 2010 9:59 PM PDT

I can do that. Thanks Where can i get hijack this from?

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, Found it. Will try and get a log
by ac1818 / May 20, 2010 10:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Do I just copy and paste the text log file into the post?
by ac1818 / May 20, 2010 10:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Please try that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2010 10:12 PM PDT

I subscribed and have to leave soon. If you don't do this fast I may be gone for a few days.

Collapse -
Not an Option
by jrap30 / May 22, 2010 4:13 AM PDT

I am sorry but your answers defies logic....I like Google Chrome speed so much ...I will consider (1) reinstallingWindows (2) many painfull hours of trying to determine if it is other programs and (3) Yes I am not that proficient because process is hard to understand.......which it is.

SHow some brains and maturity and get delete Chrome. Opera is fast.

Chrome has no menus....technically still a beta and Google has shown some monoplolistic, forget your privicy (users),as their standard operating procedure.......we do want we want!

Collapse -
Log
by ac1818 / May 21, 2010 12:54 PM PDT

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:53:01 PM, on 5/22/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Optus Wireless Broadband\Optus Wireless Broadband.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron C\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron C\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFast Schedule] C:\Program Files\WinFast\WFTVFM\WFWIZ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UfSeAgnt.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OE] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron C\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1272072429390
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1272112323968
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (SfCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service (TMBMServer) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (TmProxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe

--
End of file - 6497 bytes

Collapse -
That's strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Log

It all looked pretty normal until I hit this:

Chrome's .exe should be in Program Files, not documents and settings.

But what the heck do I know. I'm just writing Apps on Windows and WIndows Mobile.
Bob

Collapse -
I checked on my other PC
by ac1818 / May 22, 2010 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That's strange.

I checked on my other PC which has no probs with Chrome and Google was also shown in documents & Settings. Any Ideas what to do Please?

Collapse -
WIth 4 copies of Chrome running I bet the machine could slow
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2010 11:15 AM PDT

I checked in at http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome?hl=en the chrome forum to scout around.

Here's an idea. If your home page is busy, it could be chrome even when minimized is letting that page's code run.

Your hijackthis shows 4 copies of chrome running so your machine is running Chrome according to the log. To sniff out what is going on and why you call the machine slow, we want to see the slow machine but without chrome open and running.
Bob

Collapse -
I think you misunderstood
by ac1818 / May 22, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

I think I had 3 or 4 tabs with Chrome open when I did the hjackthis log. My computer only has a slow startup as I mentioned earlier. Nothing is really slow after the computer has reached the desktop.

I don't understand what this has to do with the home page being busy as my internet is also not connected when I start my pc as i have wirelsss internet.

Thanks for your help so far. Appreciate it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.