Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Xp sound driver

by vincentapa89 / July 18, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

i have had vista for a while and it seem to be that everytime i install windows xp i get no sound where as to the vista there is sound. i have koss speakers i already tried looking for the dirvers on the site they dont have any .. does anyone know where i can find a driver that will work with xp so i can get my sound going? when i go to control panel and go to sounds i can click on anything and it says no sound device.. can someone please help its rele pissing me off lol..?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xp sound driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xp sound driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this Vista or XP?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Xp sound driver

Your post is confusing.

Does this computer now have Vista or does it have XP?

I also don't understand this; "I have had Vista for a while and every time I install XP". So, what are you doing, installing Vista over XP, or downgrading from Vista to XP?

Speakers do not need drivers, but your sound card does. What sound card do you have? If you are not sure, check the Device Manager.

Mark

Collapse -
this is for xp
by vincentapa89 / July 18, 2007 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this Vista or XP?

i had vista but some stupid product key keeps coming up and i always have to re install vista so i would rather have Xp in now xp is installed but no sound

Collapse -
If you formatted the drive. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 18, 2007 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: this is for xp

to install XP you lost everything. You still need the drivers for the sound card or the motherboard drivers if the sound is integrated. XP has no drivers.

Collapse -
thanks
by vincentapa89 / July 18, 2007 9:48 AM PDT

i have no clue what sound car i have i think t intergrated in the mother board the computer i have is a compaq presario SR2150NX. would that be any help in finding the sound card driver or even if its intergrated on the motherboard?

Collapse -
It's probably integrated. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 18, 2007 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Compac is not in the habit of putting sound cards in. A sound card is an extra PCI card with jacks like those on the mother board. It will be visible in the back of the PC, look for the parallel slots that look like they can be removed. An integrated sound card will have speaker jacks on the mother board close to the mouse, keyboard, printer, etc. ports on the back of the PC. Go to the Compaq web site and look for support for that PC. Sound drivers and others will be listed and available for download.

You also might download and install Belarc Advisor (Google it) and it will tell you the specific sound device. It'll be listed under the Multimedia heading. It'll tell you if the sound is integrated and the specific model. You can then get the specific drivers from Compaq.

Collapse -
I have the same problem, different computer brand
by kemlert / November 9, 2007 3:07 AM PST

My aunt could not deal with vista's problems, therefore, I formatted the drive and installed Windows XP....no sound!!

I have been searching for sound drivers....

Do you or anyone know what drivers I could use and where to find them?

The speakers don't have a logo on it. The items in the device manager that can not find drivers are:

PCI simple communication controller
Legacy (something)
PCI controller?
audio codec
unknown device
ethernet adapter?

Don't know if that helps....I thought maybe Legacy was the audio controller....

Help Please!

Collapse -
And BEFORE You Downgraded, Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 10, 2007 3:37 AM PST

..write down all the device and driver names/versions for each of those items.. Did you also install the other drivers for your XP installation... Chipset/motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, ethernet drivers, etc. ?? It's not always easy to help when we have so little information.. Which computer brand name? Which model number?

If you'd like to read more information about downgrading from Vista, the Vista forum has quite a few threads about it, including the one below. There's a lot of information in the thread so take some time to read each post.:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=243153&messageID=2460401

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sound Driver for Compaq Presario sr2150nx
by utahpix / March 3, 2008 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.