Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP slow load at startup

by backlashnz / February 28, 2007 12:42 AM PST

we replaced a reliable custom PC 6 mnths ago (p4 2.66,asus board, 1g ram) to gain a little more performance for DVD editing.new system:
p4 3.60 560jES (hyperthreading)
asus p5p800se mobo
2 x 1gb corsair twinx overclocking dimms
2 x 250g wd ide hdd
winfast A180B 64mb agp card
500W PSU
it posts fine,but takes 4 minutes from desktop appearing to fully load (noticably the last icon to appear on the taskbar is the LAN connection),the old pc would be ready to work within 30 seconds of powering on.i've tried booting with all non-essential startup items disabled via msconfig.reconfigured bios several times,using almost every bios version designed for this board,currently using the bios specifically designated for this CPU on this mobo.ram is configured according to mobo specs (its in the right slots).i am aware the agp card is somewhat underpowered,but it did provide reliable quality functionality on the old PC.this was a clean XP home install (same disc used on previous PC) fully updated,hdd's are all ntfs partitions,regularly cleaned up and defragged.the best information i can gather from ASUS forums is that there is a problem with the on board ethernet (intel pro 1000) however there does not seem to be a solid fix or any updated drivers available,the LAN connection does drop in and out at random times sometimes frequently (enough to make me doubt it is an ISP problem) and sometimes not for a week.
are there any further suggestions?should i be disabling the onboard ethernet and installing a standard PCI 10/100 as i have gathered a faulty ethernet port does slow XP load times considerably.i should mention i have had the CPU professionaly tested good and ASUS support seems to be somewhere in the bermuda triangle for the p5p800se.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP slow load at startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP slow load at startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please review a recent post about "slow."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 12:46 AM PST
Collapse -
I think the winhlp site may have caused a serious crash...
by jrfortune5 / March 7, 2007 8:46 AM PST

Mr. Proffitt, I am really a fan of yours and trust what you say. I often use your posts for help. I did read this and another post of yours with the same link in it a couple of days ago. After 2 days of trying to decide if I trusted it since the file is a .vbs file I decided that I would just do it. I manually changed the IDE channels to DMA if avail and then downloaded the link as well. It seemed to move much faster after the initial reboot. That night - I left it on and the next day it was frozen. I turned it off and now the computer will come up but no picture at all. It is like the monitor is not even connected. I tried connecting another monitor but got the same results. The computer comes on but there is no sound and no bios beeps which I have diagnosed before with an older computer. The wireless tower which is plugged in does not light up as it usually does. This is an HP model. Is there a way to test to see if that .vbs file is a virus and if it is could it affect my computer this way? Also is there any hope?? There are several pictures I would like to salvage but at this point - I don't know where to start... I would appreciate any advice.

Collapse -
If touching DMA crashed a machine then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2007 3:59 AM PST

The machine has some serious issues. But you posted under someone else's discussion. Please make your own discussion so you get the best help.

Bob

Collapse -
stumped
by backlashnz / March 8, 2007 3:54 AM PST

thanks for the tips,although i'd already looked at the mentioned possible causes,i did retrace my steps,still no joy.
the drives both running UDMA 5 mode,disabled all but necessary startup options,disks cleaned up and defragged,ad-aware,AVG and AVAST! all run (AVAST! took 17hrs to do a complete,thorough scan including archives,but i have found in the past it tends to be more sensitive than AVG).
i added 2 X 400gb sata hdd's and moved virtual memory to 1 of these and increased the virtual memory size,but only saw an average faster desktop load of 10 secs.boot drive has 143GB free space.
of course SAFE MODE with networking loads the desktop in under 20 secs,but determining which startup item is slowing things on a standard boot eludes me,something in the standard boot load that if i disable it will prevent boot?
i think it's worth mentioning that the LAN icon is the last to appear on the taskbar (volume,AVG,avast!,zone alarm, net limiter,windows security alert,epson printer icons all appear before the LAN connection icon) regardless of which startup items are enabled/disabled.is it possible to prioritise the startup order (i suspect this can be done via regedt,but am not familiar with how) so the LAN connection loads first? (i have a suspicion that various applications are attempting internet access on startup before the LAN is connected thus wasting valuable seconds.

Collapse -
"loads the desktop in under 20 sec" = sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2007 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: stumped

I wonder how this is considered slow? Our tech walks if it's booting under 60 seconds.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry that was unclear
by backlashnz / March 8, 2007 4:18 AM PST

the load time i was referring to of 20 secs was booting via safe mode with networking,timed from when the desktop appears on screen until internet access is available,not the time taken from POST to internet availability.as i stated in my initial post the time to access internet after desktop and taskbar appear on screen,with all but necessary items disabled in startup is 4 minutes.
the whole 'slow' issue is focused on the time it takes from desktop and taskbar displaying until internet access is available.

Collapse -
Tell more about..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2007 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: sorry that was unclear

How you avoid spyware and hijacks of the DNS and other items. Some third party firewalls take time to get on their feet. Since XP does not take this long in its stock form I wonder what you've changed in services and what's different from a stock install.

These items and information are too sketchy in your posts.

Bob

Collapse -
services etc
by backlashnz / March 9, 2007 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more about..

ok,this was a clean XP install,drives were repartitioned and formatted,OS installed from original XP home CD,microsoft updates and service packs downloaded and installed,ad-aware,zone alarm pro,AVG installed.system restore,automatic updates and windows firewall disabled.zone alarm firewall set at medium,no expert rules in effect,after 5 mnths the following componenets were added,microsoft NET frameworks (all) and avast! antivirus software.until 4 weeks ago services were not changed,listed are current standard services settings for this PC.desktop loading has always been around the 4 min region.
ROUTER:linksys BEFW11S4,generally only this PC and an old 98SE pc are active,this PC is set in the DMZ.what i find so frustrating about this is we have various PIII and Pentium based PC's running 98,ME and 2000 OS's and not one of them takes longer than 80 secs from power on to accessing web pages most are under 50secs,our previous P4 with XP was one of the slower at 90 secs,300 secs from power on to web access is something i'd expect from a 286.
i tinkered with the SYSTEM.ini in msconfig,moving the drivers to the top of the list,this has resulted in the time from desktop and taskbar appearing until internet availability reducing to 100 secs and the LAN icon being the second to appear on the taskbar,after the volume icon,however the time gained here is lost in the 'windows is starting up' until desktop appears time frame which was previously 10 secs and is now 120 secs,overall faster,but still not right.
Name Status Startup Ty Log On As
.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86 Manual Local System
Adobe LM Service Disabled Local System
Alerter Disabled Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Service Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
ASP.NET State Service Manual Network Service
Automatic Updates Disabled Local System
avast! Antivirus Started Automatic Local System
avast! iAVS4 Control Service Started Automatic Local System
avast! Mail Scanner Started Manual Local System
avast! Web Scanner Started Manual Local System
AVG E-mail Scanner Started Automatic Local System
AVG7 Alert Manager Server Started Automatic Local System
AVG7 Update Service Started Automatic Local System
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Manual Local System
ClipBook Disabled Local System
COM+ Event System Started Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Automatic Local System
Cryptographic Services Started Automatic Local System
DCOM Server Process Launcher Started Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Manual Network Service
DNS Client Started Automatic Network Service
Epson Printer Status Agent4 Manual Local System
EPSON V3 Service2(03) Started Automatic Local System
Error Reporting Service Disabled Local System
Event Log Disabled Local System
Fast User Switching Compatibility Started Manual Local System
Firebird Guardian - DefaultInstance Disabled Local System
Firebird Server - DefaultInstance Disabled Local System
Help and Support Disabled Local System
HTTP SSL Manual Local System
Human Interface Device Access Disabled Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Disabled Local System
Indexing Service Manual Local System
IPSEC Services Started Automatic Local System
IPv6 Helper Service Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Manual Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
Messenger Disabled Local System
Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service Disabled Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
NBService Disabled Local System
Net Logon Manual Local System
Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service Disabled Local Service
NetLimiter Disabled Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Disabled Local System
Network Connections Started Manual Local System
Network DDE Manual Local System
Network DDE DSDM Manual Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Started Manual Local System
Network Provisioning Service Manual Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
NVIDIA Display Driver Service Started Automatic Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Disabled Network Service
Plug and Play Started Automatic Local System
Portable Media Serial Number Service Disabled Local System
Print Spooler Started Automatic Local System
Protected Storage Started Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Manual Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Disabled Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started Automatic Network Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Automatic Local System
Secondary Logon Disabled Local System
Security Accounts Manager Started Automatic Local System
Security Center Disabled Local System
Server Started Automatic Local System
Shell Hardware Detection Started Automatic Local System
Smart Card Manual Local Service
SSDP Discovery Service Started Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Started Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Disabled Local System
Task Scheduler Disabled Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Started Automatic Local Service
Telephony Disabled Local System
Terminal Services Started Manual Local System
Themes Started Automatic Local System
TrueVector Internet Monitor Started Automatic Local System
Uninterruptible Power Supply Disabled Local System
Universal Plug and Play Device Host Started Automatic Local Service
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Started Automatic Local Service
Windows Audio Started Automatic Local System
Windows CardSpace Disabled Local System
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Disabled Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Started Automatic Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Automatic Local System
Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 Manual Local Service
Windows Time Started Automatic Local System
Windows User Mode Driver Framework Started Automatic Local Service
Wireless Zero Configuration Started Manual Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Started Automatic Local System

Collapse -
I see something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2007 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: services etc

"Telephony Disabled Local System"

That and the remote access items usually cause failures to show up in the EVENT VIEWER. It can also add some 30 seconds for each service failure as each service is asked to start and fails.

I just fixed a slow startup PC over this issue. The owner had... been tweaking services.

Bob

Collapse -
strange but true....
by backlashnz / March 9, 2007 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: I see something.

i guess i missed setting telephony back to manual,however this made no apparent difference.
after starting and stopping services 1 at a time i have established this:
without making any other adjustments at all enabling/disabling the 'event log' service had the following effects.
enabled/manual:'windows is starting up' until desktop and taskbar are visible 10 secs.desktop and taskbar are visible until internet access is available,3 mins 40 secs.the LAN icon is the last item to appear on the taskbar.
disabled:'windows is starting up' until desktop and taskbar are visible 120 secs (presumably due to the event log not being able to write logs).desktop and taskbar are visible until internet access is available,65 secs.LAN icon is 2nd only to volume icon loading in taskbar.
i've tried with all event filter types unchecked on all items,to prevent any logs being written but for some reason they are all checked after restart.

Collapse -
Guess who's back?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2007 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: strange but true....

I see Black Viper is back with his pages about services. To get those off the table I'd leave them all as manual at the very least of even "stock". There are issues with drivers that don't work well coming out of sleep or hibernation. The reason is usually stupid such as the maker considers this to be a non-issue or non-critical to the end users. Doubly so for desktops.

Think over what drivers bring these items up and roll then back and forward versions to see if you can find which it is.

There is no good tool to find this except when I find items in the event browser that help lead to the cure.

Then again you could make it a warranty issue with it's maker...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.