I have an older computer running XP Home that will not shutdown
from the desktop regardless of the option I select from
Shutdown Menu but it will go to the Logon Screen as if I had
selected Log Off > Switch User because I see I am shown as
logged on.

I select Turn Off Computer and the Shutdown menu is shown and
all selections work but if I select Reset or Turn Off I get a
warning about other persons are logged and this may cause data
loss. I click OK and it Restarts or Turns off.

Motherboard: EGS 741GX-M
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (clock 1200)
RAM: 1 GB
HDD: 40 GB, 2 Partitions, C: 31.25 GB, D: 7.1 GB
DVD: LITE-ON DVD-RW
Video: NVIDA GeForce FX5200, 128 MB, this is not the on board
Video.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Roy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP shutdown trouble.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP shutdown trouble.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start Eliminating Unnecessary Startup Programs And Services
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: XP shutdown trouble.

In addition, since you didn't give us the information, if you don't have Service Pack 3 and all the Windows Updates installed, please do so.. Some of those updates help with shutdown issues.

Next, please click on the link below and follow the steps to eliminate any unnecessary startup programs and services plus clean out any junk on the machine. A variety of programs running in the background can cause such issues.. Roxio, Nero's InCD, McAfee's "scan floppy on shutdown" setting, and a few others come to mind. The fewer programs running in the background, the fewer your computer needs to close at shutdown.

Cleanup Steps

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Start Eliminating Unnecessary Startup Programs & Service
by royc / January 16, 2010 12:59 PM PST

Sorry I didn't include the fact that my computers are always up to date. Sad

But you were right about the start-up programs causing the trouble. I am very careful about the programs I use and were they come from.

I used 'Startup Optimizer' to look at the start-up programs and removed almost all of them and the problem went away. So now I will go back and re-enable them one at a time to find the one that caused it. I know that a combination of programs could cause this so if the one that caused the trouble is one I like I will re-enable it and remove all others then start adding them back again. Of course if the trouble is still there after I test the system after I remove all other programs it will be put in the bit bucket.

Thank you

Roy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.