Computer Help forum

General discussion

Xp Service Pack 3

by skippydoodle2 / September 26, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

I run XP home on my I need XP SP 3?? I'm all up to date on all my previous updates. I've heard pros and cons on installing it..what does everybody else think?? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xp Service Pack 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xp Service Pack 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / September 26, 2008 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Xp Service Pack 3

Yes. Service packs and other security related updates should be considered MANDATORY.

Collapse -
by groovyinutah / October 3, 2008 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I always wait a bit before I d-load the SP Remond puts out just to see what kind of chaos ensues. So I finally got SP3 and the ONLY noticeble effect is that StyleXP no longer works. So I went searching around for a fix and that just turned into more hassle then it was worth. Another instance of microsofts software not being affected while 3rd party programs that do the same thing are rendered useless.

Collapse -
XP Service Pack 3
by Marlene39 / September 26, 2008 1:09 PM PDT

I am running XP pro, like you are and I know too many people that ran into a lot of trouble with SP3. I done a lot of reading on this subject and maybe is you are really good with computers and a problem arises,you can fix it,
I am not loading SP3 I was told if you have all the other updates ,you should be fine, I will not chance messing up pc more than normal,Out of 10 people who loaded it, 7 have problems,Not worth it in my estimation,

Collapse -
Disagree! So Far, I've Loaded It On 50+ Computers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 26, 2008 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: XP Service Pack 3

...and had no problems at all. Home computers, customer's computers, and work computers all have done just fine.. As with all service packs, the key is making sure you "prepare" the computer for the installation.. In my case, I clean out all the junk files, run a number of spyware and virus scans to make sure the computer is clean, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and defrag, and if using an HP computer with an AMD processor, I then install the required update that HP supplies. And when all of that's done, I restart the computer, turn off all antivirus/antispyware programs that are running realtime, then install the standalone/full installer from the link below. (After downloading the full file from the link below, I burn a copy to a CD so I can use it later, if need be.) I DON'T use the online installation.

And one thing to remember if you choose not to install SP3.. As occurs with all other service packs from Microsoft, eventually you wont' be able to update your computer till you've install the most recent service pack which in this case, is SP3..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
As Always
by Jairman / September 26, 2008 1:34 PM PDT

Thanks for the info, you're very helpful and pleasant to work with.

I am a computer novice... I have XP Media Center Edition on a Dell XPS 410, right now I have SP2.

I too have read all the horror stories about SP3. I'm afraid to try it.

I run ZoneAlarm and AVG, I was told that I should turn those off before installing. I guess it's safe?

Also, the link you provided above for DL'ing SP3, says its not for installing on one machine... still ok to use?

Collapse -
The LinkI Posted Is Fine...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: As Always

It's a large download, about 316 MB, so you'll need a fast, broadband connection to make the download worth it.. Still, the fully downloaded file is designed to allow IT folks to do exactly what I've described.. Download the entire file, save it to a network location or burn it to a CD, then install it on multiple computers. It will work just fine when installing it on a single computer..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
installing SP 3 and help with problem with computer
by Marlene39 / September 27, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

I am running a SYSTEMAX PC from TIGER DIRCT I think its a HP. It has a intel pentium d 3.20G. Reason I put that in is that usually Hp run on AMD. This I am sure of, as I ran belarc advisor, and it has everything in computer,
I think the first time the SP 3 was offered,I downloaded it and it would not finish,
I had so many problems with pc, its 18 months old and had 4 hard drives put in it, thank goodness I have insurance on it,

all I am running in my startup by clock is Mcafee Security Suite,from AOL and ACTIVE SPEED. and AOL. I disabled my Mcafee before installing SP 3 and it started and just went away, I am 86 per cent empty, so I have room for anything,

I aslo have another problem,I am new here so if I am in wrong place just let me know and tell me where to go on this

When I start my PC it loads windows ,every thing in startup is loaded, and it depends on temperment of pc, my mouse will FREESE,I cannot use my REBOOT button, I have to do a hard turnoff from machine,wait 2 minutes and restart pc, It starts over ,usually good for awhile,Got to point that is leave screen on always,will not let it got to sleep if I am not using it,I could be in the middle of something and it just freezes up again, I got no ERRORS of any kind and no blue screen of death, Does anyone have any idea what is causing this,or just help me on explaining to my COMPUTER HELP ON PHONE what to say,I am calling MONDAY on this, thanks Marlene

Collapse -
No simple answers
by andrewsjd / October 3, 2008 10:26 PM PDT

The kinds of problems you are facing can have multiple causes from a hardware issue (memory? mouse driver?) to conflicting programs starting up and it may be the cause of your problem installing sp3 as well. It's tough to deal with all the possibilities in a forum like this, but if it was my computer I would probably start with shutting down one startup program at a time (through startup programs using msconfig), and if that didn't work take it to an expert - or an expert friend.

Collapse -
Jairman, if it make you feel better
by PudgyOne / September 27, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron B130 and I installed SP3 on my computer since it came out and my computer works faster with SP3 than it did with SP2. I have Zone Alarm and I also have Avast.

Collapse -
I did it...
by Jairman / September 28, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

Woke up this morning and straight to the PC. In the system tray was the little yellow shield telling me an update was available. Yup, SP3 was ready.

I scanned my system with AVG, and ran Ccleaner. Closed all running programs and clicked the update.

It only took about 15 minutes and everything went fine. I restarted the PC, it logged right in and everything is running normally.

Thanks CNET Forums. Great advice on this site.

Collapse -
Afraid to turn of AVG
by Ol Rod / September 29, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

When I go to do stuff in my computer that requires to turn off Anti-Virus, etc, I get all my downloading completed, then just before turn off any security, I reach behind the computer and unplug the wire that connects me to internet. While you are unplugged, it is safe to run with no antivirus. Then, be sure your AVG is working again before you plug your connection wire back in.

Collapse -
Heard BAAAAAD things about SP3 on MCE
by mkoehne / October 4, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

I have heard nothing but BAAAAAD things about installing SP3 on a Windows Media Center PCs. Be afraid!!!

Collapse -
Grif, your experience is not typical
by john3347 / October 4, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

Probably due to your skill level in "preparing" more than 50 computers for SP3, you have had no problems. Your experience, though, is not the experience of the more typical computer user. I, and most other home users that I know, have had great difficulties with the installation of SP3. I have installed SP3 on 4 computers and 3 of them had to be formatted and windows reinstalled. SP3 installs smoothly on a fresh windows installation but is not friendly with many, many applications. SP3 appears to have come from the same "cubicle" that Vista came from. Very, very buggy!!!

Collapse -
That's The Point.... Sorry About Your Experiences But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 4, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

The "typical computer user" needs to learn to spend a little extra time when installing such service packs. I understand that you've had problems with the machines you've attempted to update to SP3 but our IT department has installed SP3 on literally thousands of machines (The government agency I work for have approx 10,000 computers), and few have such issues AS LONG AS the machines are prepared and cleaned up before hand. In our experiences, the problems arise from those computers which are infected and haven't been maintained in the first place.

Prior to installation on each of the computers I have personally updated to SP3, I performed a number of steps which took an hour or more to finish. It takes longer to prepare the computer than to install SP3. I cleaned out the junk files, uninstalled any unwanted programs, (especially P2P programs), made sure all Windows and Office Updates were installed, ran a virus and spyware scan, then ran defrag and Chkdsk.. And on those computers which required AMD patches or other patches, I installed those.. And in order to install the service pack, we use the full, downloadable file to install from.. NOT the online installer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by d.arbib / October 4, 2008 12:13 PM PDT

As I said elsewhere in this sequence, originally I had XPpro/SP2 and had some 40 programs and a lot of data (the latter was moved to a slave drive) and I installed from the web SP3. There were some conflicts with programs and in the end I gave up and wiped the drive with KillDisk utility and re-installed XPpro/SP2 and immediately installed SP3 and any additionla M% updates, then one by one re-installed my programs and had no problems.

For thos techincally interested my CPU is water cooled AMD quad 9950 with 4 GB Ram and plug-in HDD's

Collapse -
SP3 & FrameMaker 7
by calarts / October 5, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

SP3 causes hair-pulling nightmares with linking or embedding objects in FM 7. FM8 works fine.

Collapse -
I cannot install Service Pack 3 Setup
by Carlene Edwards / October 6, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

I am another novice on the computer, so please bear with me. I am getting the message that "updates are ready for your computer" and "click here to install these updates". I start the installation and a few minutes later, a message comes up that says "Setup cannot copy the file LCLMM.XML. Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert 'Windows XP System Files' in the drive you specify."

The box below says "copy files from" with the location "C"\windows\srchasst\muil0409". I'm not sure how I ensure that this location is the correct one or what to change it to. It then asks me if I want to continue without copying this file, and I click no, which cancels the "Service Pack 3 Setup".

I have Norton 360 for virus and firewall protection, and I did not disable it before trying to install this update (didn't know I was supposed to? I said, I'm a novice at this stuff.) Help!

Collapse -
So..Have You Followed The Instructions..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 6, 2008 2:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Service Pack 3
by lautay7 / October 7, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

Service pack 3 was installed on my computer (automatic download) while I slept. For some reason Microsoft likes to update or download at 3:00 a.m. Bottom line: Service pack 3 wrecked my computer! I spent 4 days on the phone with tech support, having to hard shut down my computer because it froze all of the time (hadn't done this prior to Service pack 3). I took my computer in for analysis and repairs.
Unfortunately, nothing could be done. I had to buy a new computer.

I now am running Vista, which I hadn't planned on getting for quite some time. Valuable lesson learned: NEVER allow Microsoft to automatically update. With Vista, I am notified of the updates and "I" decide what I want downloaded!!

Collapse -
Service pack 3
by Marlene39 / October 8, 2008 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Service Pack 3

I had pc guy over yesterday to put in a new hard drive. My pc is 22 months old, and this is the 5 th hard drive going in,
Has anyone out there know what can be causing this?
running XP PRO .
I ask pc guy about SP 3 if I really need it as I am concern about installing it,reading all problems with it,He said NO if I have all other updates,I will be fine,
I know 6 people that have loaded and it caused nothing but trouble,so I guess I will stay with SP2

Collapse -
Q re XP Media Center ver and the Svc Pack 3 download
by DanceGypsy / August 29, 2012 8:00 AM PDT

First of all, let me apologize to you, Mr. Thomas for the username I chose, but it is honestly what I would love to be when I grow up... another Grif Thomas. (As a 64 year-old-female newbie, I probably won't have time, but might as well try, lol.) I sought a way to inform you before I posted anything on this board, in case you might want me to change that name, but couldn't find a way to send you a message.

Secondly, I want to apologize for requesting such antiquated information. Technology has flown by in the six years since the machine I'm asking about was new.

I just inherited a Sony VAIO laptop, Model VGN-FE550G, which had been wiped back to factory settings.
Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Svc Pack 2
86.1 GB harddrive with 77 GB free, at present
Intel CPU T2300 @ 1.66 GHz; 0.99 GB Ram

It's embarrassing, but a fact of life, I cannot buy a single thing for this computer right now and need to do the best I can with what I have.

I have read your posts on how important it is to prepare a computer before installing a new service pack and I've been going through the steps. I am at the stage now where I need to read through the Services XP came loaded with, and un-check as many of them as I can.

In the process of looking over everything and saving the URL to my favorites for downloading the 316MB file at the link you gave, I saw that "XP Media Center" is not included in the OS's supported. Is there anything unique I need to do or know, and add to the detailed instructions you gave for installing this service pack?

Please forgive if I'm speaking computerese as a second language and this isn't as clear as it needs to be, and also thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Collapse -
2 projects at once - cleaning out Start UP & installing SP3
by DanceGypsy / August 29, 2012 8:06 AM PDT

Oops. I just realized some of the things I mentioned in my previous post were from your directions on cleaning out unnecessary programs and services from Start Up. (I'm working on elements of both of these at the same time.)

Collapse -
Have You Seen This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 29, 2012 10:24 AM PDT

In the "Computer Newbies" forum, there is a set of "Tips" designed for helping users. Included in that thread is a guide for installing SP3 to XP.. Here's that link:

And the XP Service Pack 3 installer at the link provided earlier should work fine with your Media Center Edition. Basically, the "Media Center" portion of the installation is secondary to the primary Windows XP portion of the operating system. SP3 with update the XP portion.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Yes, I have. Thank you!
by DanceGypsy / August 29, 2012 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Have You Seen This?

Since I don't have a functional printer right now, I took a screenshot of that post and filed it in the folder I set up for guidelines on bringing this computer up to speed. In fact, that's probably where I tied in the "removing unnecessary programs" etc. with "preparing my computer for SP3." I've been reading and taking notes from that forum for days.

Thank you, all of you, for being so patient with us who are novices, and thanks for being willing to walk us through the basics.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2012 8:21 AM PDT

Don't hide your new questions under very old discussions.

Collapse -
Thank you, R. Proffitt :-)
by DanceGypsy / August 29, 2012 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a tip.

I appreciate your response and the tip. I thought since there was already a thread on this issue, I should post here rather than start a new one. Also, I thought Grif Thomas would see it as a reply to one of his posts. As with most bulletin boards, this thread would rise to the top if it had a new post, right? So much to learn, both on the boards and off, but again, thank you.

When an issue is as old and irrelevant as this is, is it still okay to start a brand new thread for it?

Collapse -
XP Sevice Pack 3, No problem
by pnpb / October 3, 2008 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: XP Service Pack 3

I have loaded SP 3 on three of my own computers and on my Mom's computer. I have had no trouble at all and I am no expert.

Collapse -
WinXP SP 3
by varase / October 3, 2008 4:34 PM PDT

While it has been problematic for some users, I run an Intel chipset so it seems to work fine here.

Do note that on all the systems where I've installed it, it does seem to destroy the Recovery Console.

Like always, make sure you have a backup using something like Acronis True Image so you can restore if things go south.

Nowdays, I run on a Mac and it's a relatively simple matter to restore my VMWare virtual machine should something go wrong and kill my windows environment - which happens roughly twice a year.

Collapse -
SP 3 Issues
by nelz124 / October 3, 2008 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: WinXP SP 3

I finally loaded up SP3 about a month ago or I should say I tried to. Once installed I could not get Windows to recognize my dsl modem or find the connection. Plus start up suddenly went from 2 minutes to around 8 minutes. I researched all of the advice out there about uninstalling Anti-Virus and Firewalls as well as a couple other tweaks of XP before installing but after 3 attempts to install I gave up. When I finally looked at what I would be missing from not installing SP3 I surmised that most of the update was previous smaller updates packaged together to work better. In my case it really didn't work at all. I turned off the automatic updater so it wouldn't bother me and I update manually now from time to time. I figure I can hold off another year before I am forced to get another computer and then either update to Vista or get out of the Wacko Windows World all together by buying a Mac or switching to a Linux OS.

Collapse -
Bad download for me.
by beckyc3813 / October 3, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

I downloaded SP3 on a computer less than a year old, and now it is stuck in the reboot loop. No matter what I do, it does not work. I have gone to Microsoft help, message boards, etc., and no luck. I do not have a disk, so that does me no good when they say to install disk.
Guaranteed, when I do get it fixed, I will not install SP3 on it. I have a Dell computer, and most of the ones with problems are HP with AMD....and mine is Intel.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.