Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

XP'S MISSING ADDRESS BAR

by casper2004 / July 31, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

I purchased a Compaq Computer with XP installed but did not get the address bar that sits in the browser above. Is it possible to get that in there? I hate not having it because sometimes I like to highlight the address in it to put it in posts at discussion forums or email.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP'S MISSING ADDRESS BAR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP'S MISSING ADDRESS BAR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In IE, View, Toolbars, Address ....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2004 10:35 PM PDT

But save yourself from the malware writers that are taking shots at Microsoft.

Install another browser such as Firefox and use that when you can.

Bob

Collapse -
Steps to place address bar on my taskbar
by garyhollenberg / August 27, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

Like everybody else I lost my address bar on my taskbar. I also was able to restore the address bar sometime later, but I have now lost that process and the address bar has again disappeared. Send me the process because this is most inconvenient!

Collapse -
Re: XP'S MISSING ADDRESS BAR
by Papa Echo / July 31, 2004 10:38 PM PDT

At Menu bar >View; then Toolbars; then Address Bar.
Is that what you mean ? If you have no Address Bar, how did you get here ?

Collapse -
Where is the Address bar in the taskbar at the bottom?
by grandpaw7 / September 8, 2004 3:45 AM PDT

I've checked Toolbox>Address. And the word Address appears on the taskbar just to the left of the system tray. But there is no place there to type an address and I don't find a way to move the word address to reveal a place for that. What is wrong? grandpaw

Collapse -
Wave the mouse pointer till....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

In IE you can move the toolbars around. Such is an acquired skill that is best shown and hard for me to write how. But in simplest terms, I wave the mouse the the area of the address and CLICK-DRAG the bar or near the edge CLICK-DRAG the width of the bar.

That's not a bug or deficiency in Windows. You would need the same training on a Macintosh.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Where is the Address bar in the taskbar at the bottom?
by billzhills / September 8, 2004 5:58 AM PDT

grandpaw7

This is gonna be fun

Bring mouse to left edge bar of address bar.

Float/hover untill mouse pointer changes to a double arrow. Hold down left mouse button and drag to left untill sized correctly. Release mouse button.

Basically the same as re-sizing a window.

Bill

Collapse -
Error message 66-DCVS
by agjim35 / February 17, 2009 6:30 AM PST

When attempting to relay an email to other parties, I get error message 66-DCVS. Please advise

Collapse -
Re: XP'S MISSING ADDRESS BAR
by jjcool / September 8, 2004 6:46 AM PDT

right click on the grey part next to the menus at the top of the window and make sure there is a tick against "Address Bar" if there is then the address bar is probably hidden to the right at the top of the window. if so uncheck "lock the toolbars" and mave your mouse over to where the address bar is hiding click and drag it down so that it appears in the correct place.

jjcool

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.