Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Restarts over and over...

by chippyrcr43 / October 10, 2007 10:58 AM PDT

My dad's computer all of a sudden just started restarting. He somehow managed to get a system restore once (Which temporarily fixed the problem). It comes up to a screen where we have options to choose how its started up, i.e. Safe Mode, Last known good configuration, Start windows normally etc. The first time I chose safe mode, it just restarted, as with every other option. Now since his computer is so old and outdated he is mostly concerned with retrieving certain files off of the HD such as pictures and some other documents. I've already tried hooking up the HD to my computer, but to no avail. Is there anyway we can boot the computer off of MY HD and access the files on his? Like 2 hard drives?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Restarts over and over...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Restarts over and over...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just fix the problem
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 11:16 AM PDT

This is a software issue not a hardware issue. We'll need your OS information (95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, etc.)and any SPs your using. We'll need the information first.

Collapse -
Sorry
by chippyrcr43 / October 10, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Just fix the problem

Sorry, I totally forgot about giving any of that.
WINDOWS XP SP2
Old 40gb IDE crappy Hard drive =P

Collapse -
next
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

start>control panel>administrative tools>system configuration>to general tab, check the box that says diagnostic start up> also click boot tab>check boot log box. Restart the computer, log on and let it run as long as it will.

Then get back with me.

If it's still is a problem then we'll check for errors in event viewer.

Collapse -
You realize of course
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: next

that if it just keeps running and running that it's fixed. Do get back with me if you get the problem fixed using this first suggestion, so I'm not waiting around for you. Thanks.

Collapse -
HOW?
by chippyrcr43 / October 10, 2007 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: You realize of course

How do I get to the control panel if, it restarts before it even loads the WINDOWS screen? (In safe mode it does the same thing) It allows me to choose an option to boot with. Then it pauses a little bit, then it restarts, and the cycle continues.

Collapse -
Sorry
by chippyrcr43 / October 10, 2007 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: You realize of course

Sorry if i'm not explaining it clearly enough...If i'm not just say something please.

Collapse -
(NT) Good GRIEF, you are rude.
by Me, Myself and You / October 15, 2007 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry
Collapse -
None of these modes work for you?
by Dango517 / October 10, 2007 4:54 PM PDT

Safe Mode, Last known good configuration, Start windows normally

Does safe mode work at all?

If not you may have one other option. There is a screen before this one. Choose the boot option maybe f1. It might be specified at the bottom of the screen. This will allow you to enter the bios. choose safe mode from here. If it starts Then continue with my instructions.

Sorry, about the delay in getting back with you.

Collapse -
Safe mode.
by chippyrcr43 / October 11, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

From the screen i was talking about, there is a safe mode. It does not work. It just loads up some dialog at the bottom (that goes to fast for me to read) then goes black screen and restarts. Ill try it through the BIOS like you said though
Thanks alot for your help!

-Tyler

Collapse -
"Improperly Dismounted Volume"
by tcantrelln / October 11, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe mode.

Is the message you would get if you booted the Partition Magic disk, found this yesterday on their website, tried it and did a little dance. 1. Boot to the Windows 2000 or XP installation CD, and at the Startup menu, press R for repair.
2. In the Recovery Console, type the following: chkdsk /p {The space is important!}
3. When the CHKDSK process has finished, reboot the computer.
The drive had about eight errors, let it save them as 'Found.001' etc. Rebooted fine!

Collapse -
Same Problem - No boot of operating system
by SchPsych / October 12, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

I have had the same problem with my Mom's Compaq 1720US Notebook- Bootup leads to start up choice, with each choice selected leading to what appears to be a boot of XP. Just as the Windows logo appears I am sent to an error message. I researched the error message, but have found no functional solution.

Recovery/Restore disks (XP Home) were not included with unit - info re: recovery was in the form of directions about how to obtain the recovery disk. Attempts to obtain the recovery disks from Compaq (now HP) have involved hours and hours on the phone on several occasions over several months with continuous transfers to another department. HP support has told me everything from "recovery disks do not exist for this model" to "you should have your recovery disks within 7-10 business days."

Since there doesn't appear to be any chance that "support" is forthcoming from HP/Compaq, what can be done to recover/restore my laptop. If I could save the data on the hard drive, that would be great, but at this point I just want the thing to be functional.

Any help?

Collapse -
Can You Boot to ANY MODE?? If Disk Wasn't included...
by tobeach / October 12, 2007 4:10 PM PDT

then there should be a partitioned drive that has the OS repair info on it. HP's too poor to include a 10 cent CDR??!! Ahhh... Silly
Of course we all knew HP's former excellent service would die quickly w/ the Compaq take over, that's why we lamented it.

Anyway, they expected the new owner to find this partition and burn it's info to your own CDR to create your own restore disk. If you can get to safe mode perhaps you can still make a copy?? Good Luck!!

Collapse -
THANKS!
by chippyrcr43 / October 12, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

Thanks for your help! I was tinkering with it all day, and when I popped it in my computer it just started working. So i'm transfering his pictures right now!
Thanks again
-Tyler

Collapse -
I can't boot from XP cd
by emcostello11 / November 29, 2007 8:48 AM PST

I have the exact same problem, computer starts then restarts after the XP screen appears. None of the start options (like, "Safe Mode", "Last Known Good Config") have worked and I don't know how and what to do to get it to boot from the XP Setup CD (someone said get to the BIOS screen which I don't know how to do). I made the XP Setup floppies from the Microsoft website on a different computer but I haven't tried that yet and it seems like that wouldn't work....but I don't know. Help! Thanks!

Collapse -
ExcerptFrom Stop Sasser Worm Constant Rebooting....
by tobeach / October 12, 2007 4:27 PM PDT

may not have worm but method to stop constant reboot may help:
Stop the Shutdown Cycle

This worm may cause LSASS.EXE to stop responding, which forces the
operating system to shut down after 60 seconds. If your computer starts
to shut down, follow these steps to abort any system shutdown that may
be in progress.

On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click *Start*, and then
click *Run*.

Type: *cmd* and then click *OK*.

At the command prompt, type: *shutdown.exe -a* and then press *ENTER*.

There is also a setting you can change to stop auto reboot, but for
the life of me I can't remember where it is. Perhaps someone else remembers.... Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
XP reboots
by rob.linuxsympatico.ca / October 15, 2007 5:22 AM PDT

Could be a failing power supply unit ...

Rob

Collapse -
It is now...
by chippyrcr43 / October 15, 2007 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: XP reboots

Well, the fan in the PSU quit working about a day ago (After this problem) so my brother tried to stick a small piece of wood into the grill and try to get it spinning...Well that cause a short (I think) and now my dad is finally upgrading!

Thanks for all your help guys!

-Tyler

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.