Computer Help forum

Question

XP repair with partitions

by spacesaver63114 / January 27, 2013 7:01 AM PST

I'd like to repair my XP pro and possibly learn something along the way. Here's my situation:

XP won't boot in any mode. Using my boot disk I would like to preform a repair installation. I have been following a couple online guides and my repair process differs after the point where I accept the license agreement. I get the following regarding selecting which drive to install my OS:

{
476938 MB Disk 0 at Id on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition1 [Unknown] 131062MB (131062MB free)
E: Partition2(New Volume) [NTFS} 345876 MB (345790 MB free)

953870 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
D: Partition1 (SWAP) [NTFS] 8500MB (8444 MB free)
F: Partition2(STORAGE) [NTFS] 945368 MB (945264 MB free)
Unpartitioned space
}

Now I will share that my old roommate set up my system back before I knew how. I'm now curious enough to care and I'm discovering things like, I see my hard drive is partitioned. I've never used anything besides the C: drive, so I wonder. Can I install my OS on another drive? If yes, could I then retrieve my files from C:?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP repair with partitions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP repair with partitions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Since You Asked About A "Repair" Installation...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 3:31 AM PST

...you'll need to perform such on the partition where Windows is already installed, I'll assume that's the C: drive.. As such, the repair should fix all system files, assuming the hard drive is still in good order, and you should be able to boot from the C: drive as usual. To make sure you're performing a correct "repair" installation, follow the steps in the link below. (IT DOES require a full Windows installation CD to run the repair.):

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Although it appears like the E: drive is basically free, and you could probably install the operating system to it after formatting it, you would still need the same Windows installation CD for the NEW installation and it would not be a "repair"... And yes, assuming the C: drive files are still good, you should be able to gain access to them..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by kowalskidaniel / March 25, 2013 2:41 AM PDT

I read the previous two posts, and I clicked on the link in Grif's post, and read the repair instructions. I know how to do the repair, but each time I try, after I press F8 to accept the license agreement, my xp home edition does not show up next to c: as a choice to continue the repair. I see the following:

305243 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on atapi (MBR)

c: Partition 1 (NTFS) 305235MB (292598 MB free)

Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Unknown disk
There is no disk in this drive

Unknown disk
There is no disk in this drive

If I highlight c:partition1 and try to continue with the repair install, I get the warning that there is already an operating system running. What can I do to get my xp home edition to show up next to c: so I can continue with the install and not lose data, programs, settings, etc.? Thanks.

Collapse -
by kowalskidaniel / March 25, 2013 2:45 AM PDT

I didn't mention in my previous post that I have xp home edition, a 320 gb hard drive, 2 gig ram, and amd copper core processor in a custom made desk top computer.

Collapse -
Could you have the real "XP" CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

The original XP CD does not support repair on a 320GB HDD. It's repairs are limited to 127GB and smaller drives.

With that out of the way, it is never a sure thing that you will not "not lose data, programs, settings, etc."

Why this is, is well discussed. The repair will wipe certain things and if you make a mistake and answer a question with the same user name as you have already that folder may be deleted and a new user created.

-> Since this is rather treacherous you know why you backup before you try this.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds Like You Didn't BOOT From the XP Disc
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

You shouldn't get a warning about XP running, because it's NOT if you boot from the XP disc.. Boot the XP disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer.. You should see a "Press any key" to boot from disc message, so press the "Enter" key.. The boot process should occur from the DVD/CD drive and you can then follow the instructions..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Booted from XP Disc
by kowalskidaniel / March 25, 2013 1:11 PM PDT

Yes, the XP disk was in the drive. The message I actually received after I pressed f8 to accept the Windows license agreement was:

you have chosen to install XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing XP on this partition might cause the other system to not function.

If my previous post from 'Bob' was correct, I can't do a repair install anyway because my hard drive is 320gb and xp doesn't support, or possibly allow, repair installs on hard drives larger than 127 GB. So that means I would never see c: Windows XP Home Edition as an option to highlight and continue with the repair install. I understand fully how to do the repair install, I just need to have Windows XP Home Edition show up next to C: so it can be highlighted as my OS to repair, and continue with the repair install.

Collapse -
XP Service Pack 2 WILL Allow Installation On Large Partition
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Booted from XP Disc

It's only the "original" version of XP that has the 127 GB limitation.. So...do you have a XP SP2 installation disc? If not, get one and make sure it's the same "Home" edition that you have installed on the computer now.. I'll guess the reason you're getting the error message is the installation CD you're using is a different version of XP, not the one that was installed..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for clearing that up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 1:01 AM PDT

Here's what I've experienced on this.

Original XP -> 127GB limit. USB 2.0 not supported, can be difficult to impossible to install on newer machines.

XP SP1 -> Same limitation but part of the limit was removed. Still need to keep going.

XP SP2 -> Now we can install on many machines. Still no SATA support but at this point the F6 Floppy Install worked.

XP SP3 -> All the above corrected but we did find USB drives to error out much less.

Thanks for adding the clarity.
Bob

Collapse -
I Have Two XP Service Pack 2 Disks

I have two XP service pack 2 disks, both of which seem to be identical with the same markings and info stamped/imprinted on them from the MS factory. They both say:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Includes Service Pack 2, Version 2002, 2004 Microsoft Corporation All Rights Reserved

One I received when I purchased the 1st custom made desktop in 2004, and it is the disk I used when I reformatted that computer's hard drive in 2008 and reinstalled Windows SP 2 fresh on the hard drive and I reloaded all the drivers, software, etc. The other disk I received when I purchased a new custom made desktop in 2011, HOWEVER, that recent computer has service pack 3 on it which was loaded by the technicians at the store where I purchased the computer, and it was from a CD they use at their store only.

Possibly, the reason that I am having such a difficult time with the repair install on the 1st custom made computer which I loaded SP 2 on in 2008, is that my husband (I am Dan's wife) recently tried to do an upgrade on the 1st computer to SP 3. He did this by going to the MS website. I knew nothing of this until I tried to use the computer and the HP splash screen was frozen. The computer had worked great up until that time. I can't boot to safe mode to set it to a previous restore point, and I can't use DOS to get to a restore point because the computer goes to a blue death screen at some point. My last option I knew of was to try a repair install. So it could be that the computer does have service pack 3 on it now since he did download it, and maybe that's why I can't continue with the repair install and why I don't see C: Windows XP Home Edition highlighted at the screen after the f8 license agreement acceptance. There may be other options out there to fix this computer, and that is why I posted to this forum to see if I could get information for the repair install to work, and if I discovered that the repair install could not be accomplished, I could find someone who had another solution to restore the computer back to working order without my having to do another fresh format and reinstall of all the software and SP 2. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
IF The SP3 Installation Didn't Install Correctly....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

.....then that would explain why you're not able to repair the machine.It explains why you're having troubles now. The system doesn't display a correct version number during the "repair" process because there is nothing installed correctly.. Now that you've explained the situation, have you tried using "Last Known Good Configuration". It's similar to "System Restore" but is done before Windows loads. Restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads. At the selection screen, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration", the press the "Enter" key.. Follow the prompts and let the computer restart and take you back to an earlier times.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then my solution would be to reformat the C partition and reinstall Windows again.. Or, possibly wipe the entire drive, create new partitions of the size you choose, then install XP using your reinstall disc, and reinstall all drivers and software after that. (XP SP2 should install on any partition size you'd like)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Last Known Good Configuration
by kowalskidaniel / March 26, 2013 9:52 AM PDT

Yes, I tried last known good config when this first happened and it also doesn't work. If I reformat the C partition and reinstall Windows again, as you suggest, I believe I would lose all my drivers and software and basically I would be reinstalling XP service pack 2 fresh again, correct?

Before I do that, I will try in DOS chkdsk c: /r, and also fixmbr and possibly fixboot and see if they will open a repair path.

Again, thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Correct, Make Sure You Have A Driver CD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 10:16 AM PDT

Make sure you have a complete set of the drivers required for your computer and put them on a CD.. After a new installation of the operating system, frequently, a USB drive will not be recognized till all drivers are installed on the machine.. A CD should be recognized immediately. If you don't already have the drivers for your computer, visit the computer manufacturer's website and download them, then copy them to a CD.

You'll also need copies of your favorite software as well.. It will need to be reinstalled after the OS and drivers are on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Update to original post
by spacesaver63114 / March 28, 2013 4:50 AM PDT

Hi, I stopped checking this thread after the issue was fixed (naturally) but since I see new activity I'll share my sucess story. Ultimately my issue was resolved by a one line command in DOS. I entered chkdsk/f/r -or soething very similar. Cleared everything up. I'm going to need to learn a few things about DOS!

Collapse -
How Did You Access A CMD Prompt Without Booting?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 12:58 PM PDT

Did you use the Windows XP installation disc somehow? Maybe the Recovery Console? Such information would be helpful for the current thread participant.

And I'll guess you used the "chkdsk" command below:

chkdsk /f /r"

....but the command you used is a little redundant.. If I remember correctly, the command below does the same thing as /r includes /f. It recovers bad sectors and readable information...

chkdsk /r

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
You have better way
by KashviM / March 28, 2013 10:28 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.