Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Randomly Restarts

by Rustyjake / January 22, 2005 8:50 AM PST

Hi, I wouldn't say i'm a computer novice but nor would I say I?m an expert, I know enough to get though day to day stuff and a bit more. But lately my computer keeps restarting, like as if I go ?start ? turn off computer ? restart? now I have been told that it could be due to over heating hardware but I have never had the problem before, I have even run it without the case on with a window open to keep it cool, and it still restarted! I have an up to date virus checker (AVG 7 Pro) and that does not find any viruses, and I have done a virus check in safe mode, still no viruses.

Any ideas anyone? It?s is annoying me loads. please someone help!
Thx for your help
Rusty

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Randomly Restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Randomly Restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With what you've written.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: XP Randomly Restarts

I can't guess!

Collapse -
Tip
by Stan Chambers / January 22, 2005 11:23 AM PST

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Tell a little about the machine. Make, model #, cpu, ram, how old, etc.

Collapse -
More about the computer
by Rustyjake / January 22, 2005 7:23 PM PST

Ok, it is about 1 and a half years old, Its running XP SP2, The Processor is an AMD Athlon 2600XP, memory is512MD DDR400 PC3200, hard drive is a 80GB 7200rpm ATA133, graphics card is Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR + DVI, sound card SoundBlaster 5.1 Digital. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VT600L.Thats the main hardware; I also have 6 USB2 ports. I have downloaded all the new drivers for these and it still happens.
Thanks for your help
Rusty

Collapse -
Some checking procedures.
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2005 9:43 PM PST

A. I have an up to date virus checker (AVG 7 Pro) and that does not find any viruses, and I have done a virus check in safe mode, still no viruses.

"One" is not enough. Please read through this forum thread.

B. PART I:

1. The article [Q320299] explains that when you shut down your Windows XP-based computer, your computer may restart instead of shutting down and it may also restart unexpectedly while you are using the computer to perform certain tasks, which may occur if Windows is by default set to automatically restart when Windows stops responding and further explained in "How To Configure System Failure and Recovery Options in Windows (Q307973)."

2. It is reported in the article [Q873161] that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you are prompted to restart the computer, the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart. This problem occurs if you had a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer and the resolution is to start the computer in Safe Mode, remove the UMAX driver, remove Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP2.

3. The article [Q316416] explains that when browsing the Internet, your computer may restart unexpectedly and can occur if both of the following conditions are true:

? A broadband cable modem or an asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) modem is installed on your system, and the modem is using drivers that cause a fatal system (STOP) error.

Note: Depending on your system configuration, the resulting blue-screen error message may not be displayed long enough for you to record the error information.

? The Automatically restart check box is selected under System failure in the Startup and Recovery dialog box (under System Properties).

4. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs that can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

5. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line that gives a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running.

6. Access the Microsoft TechNet "Windows XP Events and Errors" page and enter the "Source" and "Error Code". -- the two most important items of information concerning an Event. When a reference is rendered, simply following the prompts for additonal information/help.

7. The article [Q307973] suggests that users configure the actions that Windows takes when a severe error (also called a fatal system error, or Stop error) occurs. Also, please read the article, "A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP (Q315222)," for accessing a system that will not boot normally.

C. PART II:

The article [Q308538] describes Dr. Watson for the Windows program error debugger tool, which is a program error debugger that gathers information about your computer when an error (or user-mode fault) occurs with a program. When an error is detected, by default Dr. Watson creates a text file Drwrsn32.log that is saved in the following location:

drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

Note: The error reporting client for the operating system (DWWIN.exe (Dr. Watson)) can report errors in user mode, kernel mode, and unplanned shutdown events. In the event of a crash or assertion within an error reporting aware application, the application involved in the crash will call out the error reporting executable in a Just-in-Time fashion before the application closes down and then saves information such as the application name, application version, and a mini dump of the crash in a local log (such as MSInfo.log) which may be used for identifying the cause of the crash.

Collapse -
XP restarts
by edefalco / January 22, 2005 10:23 PM PST

I had the same problem when I downloaded windows SP2. I think there was a conflict with a Norton program. I deleted SP2, and the problem went away. Weeks later reinstalled it and no more problem.

Collapse -
SP2
by Rustyjake / January 23, 2005 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: XP restarts

Yer it's strange, i have hade SP2 for a while so i dont think its like what you got!
Laterz Rusty

Collapse -
Restarts
by Stan Chambers / January 23, 2005 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: SP2

Rusty, have you upgraded any hardware recently, ie, video card, cd drives etc.?
If the fans are working and the inside is clean of dust and dirt, I would a look at the power supply as the possible source of the problem.
Power supplies weaken with time.
If the maker installed a psu that is barely strong enough to run the machine, (as many do), or you have installed additional hardware or upgrades, the psu may not be able to handle the extra load.
This is one of the more common reasons for sudden restarts of a computer.
The heat issue or power shortage are the first things to look for.
Hope this will help.
Best of Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.