Windows Legacy OS forum

XP professional repair without disk

by jonnymw1 / April 10, 2013 2:57 AM PDT

This has probably been talked about but I need a specific answer.

Managed to delete part of the boot.ini file and now windows won't boot. I need to do a system repair using the XP installation disk. Person who owns the computer does not have the disk nor product key.

Can I buy a new installation disk for XP professional, will it work for just a system repair. Not a reinstall.

I know all I need to do is a repair from the installation disk so I need to know if buying a new disk with new product key would work.

Although may I also ask if I need a product key for repair, many people say I do, many say I don't, does anyone actually know?

Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP professional repair without disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP professional repair without disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If it's just boot.ini
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

Then I don't need the XP CD at all. All the bootable XP CD's (some hundreds over the years) can create a new boot.ini.

See the bootcfg rebuild at about the one minute mark at

NO! You would not "repair" this OS. You could boot to the console using any number of bootable XP's (I suggest one with SP2 or later) and you're good to go with one command.

Collapse -
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's just boot.ini
Collapse -
For clarification
by jonnymw1 / April 10, 2013 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's just boot.ini

Thank you, very quick reply. I can't watch the video right now as I'm out and about but all I need to do, from what I think you are saying, is stick in any XP cd, with service pack 2 or 3, and it will recreate a boot.ini ? Does it even need to be an XP professional CD? Sorry for sounding ignorant, I am.

So far the advice I have had is to repair, interesting you say not to. Will your technique just recreate the boot.ini and I can use the OS as usual. No damage to files and program.

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: For clarification

You have more work to do other than stick in the XP CD. I supplied the video so you could see the command in action.

I did neglect ONE THING and that's the password. If you don't know it, use NTPASSWD to reset it in under 5 minutes. There are numerous articles about the free NTPASSWD boot CD and it's use so I'll stop here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.