Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Pro will only start in Safe mode

by GranPaSmurf / December 8, 2010 7:58 PM PST

XP Pro, version 2002 SP3 Pentium D 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM

stops to black screen before logo or choices. This is my grandson's computer that is remarkably free of programs other than the game, Diablo II, that he has used on this machine for several years.
I have:

tried last known good configuration
msconfig, disabled everything but MS
removed AVG free with remover tool
installed and run ComboFix
installed and run Malwarebytes (several files cleaned)
disabled all sound, video and game controllers
run chkdsk /f
restored to a point 6 months ago
removed dual monitor video card, using on-board video, there are no other cards
both sides off case, no heat build-up
fixboot
fix mbr

and as long as I have fought this, I must have tried other stuff.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

GranPaSmurf

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro will only start in Safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro will only start in Safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well, ah...thanks
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 2:29 AM PST

I have been doing searches and lurking on forums for several days. After your ... suggestion, I spent another hour or so finding posts & being sure I had exhausted all I could find on Google. Again.
Google is my friend. They found this forum of experts for me.
GPS

Collapse -
Try this page . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 9, 2010 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: well, ah...thanks
Collapse -
different problem
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try this page . . .

I guess I wasn't clear. The machine will not boot normally. The only way I can get it to boot, to make changes, is to use Safe Mode. MS config shows boot.ini almost exactly matching the one in your reply. The only change I made, troubleshooting, was to extend the timeout to 60 sec, in case it just needed more time to initialize. I think though, it locks up pretty quick. No HD activity and black screen.

Collapse -
Hold on . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 9, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: different problem

We were led to believe it will only start in Safe Mode. What happens if you try a normal start? What does "not boot normally" mean exactly? I've been troubleshooting boots only into safe mode.

Collapse -
sorry
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Hold on . . .

please forgive my misleading subject line. The only way it boots at all is in safe mode.
gps

Collapse -
OK, tell me EXACTLY . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 9, 2010 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

what happens if you let it boot normally.

Collapse -
screen freezes
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 11:46 PM PST

Since I did 'bootcfg /rebuild', I now have 4 choices of operating systems.

Windows
files\WINDOWS=
Windows XP
Windows XP Professional

and the countdown timer runs.

If I allow it to boot to 'Windows' (the first selection) the screen flips to the choose options to boot 'Safe Modes' screen with the 'Start Windows Normally' highlighted. If I select it the countdown timer freezes, showing the second I pressed 'enter', if I allow the countdown timer to run, it freezes when it reaches 0.

If I select any other than

files\WINDOWS=

then 'Boot Normally,' the screen freezes at the second I presses 'enter'. If I allow the timer to count down, it freezes at 0.

If I select

files\WINDOWS=

then I get this message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Safe Mode still works.

Thanks guys for your help.

GPS

Collapse -
OK, try this . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 10, 2010 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: screen freezes

1.) Boot to Safe Mode. Click Start, Run, and type cmd When the command (looks like DOS) window opens, type sfc /scannow. This will run the System File Checker and replace any missing or corrupt system files. Have any copy of XP Pro handy. If the system asks to insert the CD, do it. After it finishes, reboot. If it boots normally, you're done.

If not:

2.) Boot to Safe Mode. Get a Safe Mode stable desktop. Insert the XP Pro CD. You should get a window to install XP. At this point choosing Yes will do an "over the top" install and at the same time will leave all your personal files and folders intact. Windows will reinstall all system drivers and fix/replace corrupt or missing system files.

Collapse -
If Wayne's suggestion ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 9, 2010 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: well, ah...thanks

doesn't work (it should unless your Windows Directory is WINNT or you have it installed on a different partition or physical drive) do you have the Installation CD so you can run the Recovery Console?

If you can run the Recovery Console you would log into it and type the command bootcfg /rebuild which will rebuild the boot.ini file.

Collapse -
I have a CD
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 6:30 AM PST

for one of my own XP Pro machines. I think I did this a couple of days ago, but since I have mentors now, let me run through it again. I will reply in a bit.

Collapse -
see above
by GranPaSmurf / December 9, 2010 11:48 PM PST

the post 'screen freezes'

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.