Windows Legacy OS

Question

XP Pro - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

by Rjaeger / June 2, 2013 12:59 PM PDT

I work with seniors to get them onto the internet - one recently rec'd a computer that has been sitting since 9/08. Can only boot in safe mode. Tried SFC SCANNOW but got RPC Server error 1084 - but cannot turn it on from safe mode. It had SP2 - I loaded SP3. My brain is fried (been at it all day). Have tried three restore points - all took but no improvement.
Would reverting all the drivers help? All the seniors want is to play POGO - basic internet, email.
Computer is a DELL INSPIRON 8600
Thanks
HongkongBob

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Pro - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Pro - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since it's new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 1:48 AM PDT

Did you load the OS from scratch? Blank? etc?

A damaged OS can burn a tech's day or week fast.
Bob

Collapse -
XP Pro - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
by Rjaeger / June 3, 2013 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Since it's new.

Bob -

You have helped me several times in the past - thanks again (and again). I received the computer "as is" - no disks or anything other than the power brick. The lady indicated her sister provided the laptop as it was not being used by her son anymore (it has not been used in 5 yrs give or take).
I did load an antivirus and only a couple Trojans were found, It is a 40G HD with about 70% used. I tested the memory, HD etal. All the drivers have the same date 7/2001 except the graphics and modem - which are 2006.
Assuming it once worked, how is it that I can "recover" to a date almost a year previous and still have the IRQL bluescreen? I can go back even farther but each time I do, I must reload SP3. Any ideas?
Regards
Hongkongbob

Collapse -
That laptop is likely from 2003.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

Trojans being what they are often cause deep damage. It's why I will only try to recover an OS a few times then reload it. The story of lost CDs or no OS to load is that of legend.

Sadly I know of no magic here. At least we have Ebay and other places to order a recovery CD set.

Then again you can load Linux and FireFox is the same there.
Bob

Collapse -
Since this is a Dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Since this is a Dell
by Rjaeger / June 5, 2013 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Since this is a Dell.

Bob -

I will check this out today - played golf at the Presidio yesterday - windy, cool - then it got cooler and windier! Came home exhausted and could not look at a computer Happy Visiting three seniors today for minor computer issues (software/virus). Thanks again.

Hongkongbob

Collapse -
At least
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Since this is a Dell
Collapse -
I am still plugging away...
by Rjaeger / June 23, 2013 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: At least

Bob -

I now have an operation pc but with several quirks....
In F2 I had to turn off the wireless (also disabled the wifi card). I get an error message indicating there is a ms authenticity issue - if I click resolve now, it boots and I get a normal desktop. I think this laptop used some sort of plug in wifi card, which is missing. There is a sort of eject tab to the right of the empty slot. I ended up system restoring to 2004! and it still would not run until I turned off the wireless. There is a diagnostic program embedded and it tests for issues related to the blue screen but everything passes??
I took a few weeks off - but wanted to thank you again and give you an update.
Regards
HongKongBob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.