PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

XP on an old old hardware.

by shafiqkhan31 / July 14, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

I have my XP running on my rather old hardware, P4 processor,2 G memory and a motherboard, "matsonic MS9327E(USB).I really can not remember the date I bought this computer.
I have been using my XP off and on for years it gave good service. Now it appears to be rather slow for my liking. I would like to change the motherboard,processor and other peripherals to make it faster as fast as the XP can go.
I shall be grateful for some advice on the motherboard.
I use this computer for email,occasional letter writing and very occasionally for photo printing.
I have the original key for the product and the disc, I am not sure what would I do about the additions ,Paks 1,2,and 3 !
All the same if I can find a suitable motherboard without spending a fortune I will sort out the other things.

Shafiq

shafiqkhan31 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP on an old old hardware.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP on an old old hardware.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by shafiqkhan31

Collapse -
Best to move on
by Willy / July 14, 2013 3:37 PM PDT

If you plan to re-use XP again, then most newer mtrbds. don't really support it. Find a mtrbd. you like and plan to purchase then check its support website and see if XP drivers are part of the support. I assume your current install XP disc is the early DIY type and generally is like the retail version, so it isn't locked to your old PC. As long as you install on (1) PC it's OK to re-use. Once you buy your new mtrbd. you get whatever new items/devices you need to have the newer version or latest because I'm sure you have dated devices and you wouldn't benefit that much by re-using them. So, I suggest you look for a "white box" or "bare bones" PC so you can re-use your monitor and probable USB kybd./mouse or upgrade to that. Just look at what's offered out there is leaps and bounds better than your old P4 system.

As for XP service packs, you can still get them from MS or trusted file sources. Just have the SP3 alone will be enough as it carries all previous SP with it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Similar reply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not for UK
by shafiqkhan31 / July 14, 2013 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar reply

A very good suggestion but for one in UK it is not a good proposition. The shipping charges+Duties+VAT and loads of hassle .
Thanks all the same.

Collapse -
UK has similar outlets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Not for UK

I've heard such before and it's only a matter of time till you find outlets in your country. The points are the same as you compare cost of repair or replacement. Here the problem is compounded by the price crash for complete ready to use PCs. You can easily spend more on replacement parts than getting an entire PC or laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Another idea...
by Willy / July 15, 2013 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Not for UK

You can try another "used PC" that is better than your P$ based system. In general those that are "multiple core cpu" still offer far better performance than the P4, even if they're dated as well. The used market should offer what's available or "refurbished or rebuild PCs" at lower costs, BUT you must review what you're getting. I find those using the LGA775 cpu socket and Intel based are good bargains. You still have to check what the mtrbd. being used can "upgrade to" as a basic 2.0/dual core can be replaced by 2.8/dual core or better some quad core. Alas, someone's else used PC could be better provided it's a good price, etc.. I strongly suggest you have the OS backups or OS install disc as part of the PC deal or can be created once you have a fresh OS install or use your XP version.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
yes moving on.
by shafiqkhan31 / July 18, 2013 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Another idea...

Thank you all, very constructive contributors. After all that I have decided to go for a modern though basic computer.
I am very grateful to both of you.Thank you.
Shafiq

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.