Windows 7

Question

XP Mode in Windows 7 is not working - Please Help

by vicstone / January 18, 2013 6:44 PM PST

Windows 7 has Windows XP Mode. As of 2 days ago, I can no longer access it, so all my XP software is not functioning. How can I restore that function? It keeps on asking me for ID and password. I never had ID and password to enter XP Mode before. Why, after 2 years it asks for it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Mode in Windows 7 is not working - Please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Mode in Windows 7 is not working - Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My bet is something updated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 12:31 AM PST

Automatic updates could have added an account and your auto login does not login anymore.

Just like all Windows you always create that spare Admin Account so you can get in and reset passwords. I wonder if this is your first time on this. I can't tell but I have no quick fix if you didn't prepare for this. There are also virus/trojans that do this. Again, you must prepare for this issue.

Try the usual. Press return for the password. And sorry it's in a VM so it's quite an involved process to get the files out (mount the VM as a drive) but as a XP Mode user you should over time acquire the skills for this and Safe Mode to try the usually hidden admin account.

Bob

Collapse -
No Viruses, No updates, Experienced PC User
by vicstone / January 20, 2013 6:54 PM PST

My compuiter is virus protected, and I do not update my Windows 7 (hundreds patches are waiting). I am also a PC user with 30 years of experience. I never had an admin account setup, nor I ever used it. Microsoft made it impossible for older XP programs to run in Win-7 environment. I did have the same situation happen to me before and Microsoft techs fixed it remotely, but it took him 1 hour to do that mostly because of restarts and reconnects. He could not explain to me what happened, but did admit that this happened to very many customers and he knew how to fix it. He had some patch sent to my PC and manually intalled it. I am out of warranty now.

Collapse -
The reason for the spare admin account is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 11:58 PM PST

Too many. From this issue to the "corrupt profile" issue you must have a spare admin account. I don't want to upset you but it is one of those unsolved issues of Windows 95 to 7. I haven't seen it happen on 8 yet but that one is young.

If it took a MSFT Tech 1 hour to fix, something was busted "real good." I doubt I could have guessed that given the clues so far. But my advice is to have the spare admin accounts for the future.

As to your comment about XP apps in 7, a recent security patch did wipe out apps that used some pre-XP memory methods (EMS for example) so why was that changed? It turned out to be an exploitable hole in the OS. So while we can debate all that, my advice is to get that spare tire in the trunk.
Bob

Collapse -
Admin Account
by vicstone / January 21, 2013 1:58 AM PST

What do I need to do to get a spare Admin Account? How do I create it?
Thanks

Collapse -
Over in Control Panel, user accounts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Admin Account

Plenty of tutorials out there for XP and 7.

Collapse -
Answer
xp mode user
by AngryRaisin / January 22, 2013 2:30 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.