Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Xp Home Edition CD and CD Key Compatibility

by owingtothis / December 1, 2006 2:45 AM PST

I recently fixed my PC but had lost the XP HE cd which came with my PC. I have the COA Product Key on the side. Me and a friend used his XPHE CD to install windows. I tried using the CD Key on the side of my PC to activate windows but it did not work. Is it a problem that i used my fiends XP CD to install windows and my CD Key to try to activate.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xp Home Edition CD and CD Key Compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xp Home Edition CD and CD Key Compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, that is a problem...
by John.Wilkinson / December 1, 2006 2:55 AM PST

It sounds like you have an OEM recovery system from the computer manufacturer whereas your friend has a retail Windows XP CD. The two are not interchangable, so your key will not work with his CD or vice versa. You will have to contact the computer manufacturer and request that they send you a set of recovery CDs for a nominal fee. This should be done ASAP for your current installation of Windows XP is technically cannot use the same product key one two separate computers at the same time unless you have a special volume licensing agreement. At this point both of you may receive alerts stating that your installations of Windows XP are invalid, be prevented from downloading various Windows updates, etc. Thus, the sooner you address this issue the better.

Collapse -
It is possible or even probable that...
by Edward ODaniel / December 1, 2006 2:59 AM PST
Collapse -
by owingtothis / December 1, 2006 3:23 AM PST

would the key change tool change the key on the side of my pc to the one on my firends Windows disk or vice verse. Would it be worth buying a new copy of windows altogether?

thanks for the help guys

Collapse -
Try getting out cheap...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2006 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: -

For instance I would call HP or Dell and check out if they have replacement media. Usually 35 or so bucks where the retail XP will be some 200 bucks.

Collapse -
Key problem
by Merl Priester / December 2, 2006 4:56 AM PST

If you had XP Home from Dell or HP/Compaq and reinstalled using an OEM copy of windows, the auto-authentication will fail. You can call and talk to a human and they will give you an activation code. I have done it several times. But as Bob noted, if you used an XP Retail copy, your not going to get it to work. OEM and retail are not the same license.

The isntall from DELL and HP don't use the key on your product sticker, they have special installs that do not have to be activated, but will only run on their systems. An install with the sticker code requires activation.

Collapse -
it's happened to me
by chatangeleyes / December 3, 2006 12:53 AM PST

Hi, this has happened to me many times, I've even been locked out... just call Microsoft, at there 1800# on the cd... give them YOUR number off your computer and they should give you a new KEY to activate it.. if your friends or your number has been used more than 5x's you have to call anyway.. even if it's you re formatting the same computer 5x's... I've done and had to call

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.