Windows 8 forum

XP equivalent with Hyper-V?

by wpgwpg / January 26, 2013 6:33 AM PST

I am totally new to Hyper-V. I've been playing around with Windows 8 for about a year now, and have read where you can set up something like the XP Mode we had with Windows 7 in Windows 8 Pro, but I am really chasing my tail and getting nowhere.
I've downloaded the document from MS and managed to go to the Control Panel's Programs & Features and enable Hyper-V, listened to an hour long video at (which told me absolutely nothing about Hyper-V), started the Hyper-V Manager, looked through the Help text (which assumes you already have gotten started with this beast - I haven't), read about all the "helpful" XML commands you can use, tried to do things with the Powershell with no luck, browsed though this Windows 8 forum, but man oh man am I missing how to get started.
I guess I don't need to rant further about what I'm looking for with no success. Having gotten to the Hyper-V Manager so far, I really really could use a basic getting started document somewhere because I can't figure out what to do. XP Mode was a snap, but this Hyper-V documentation I've seen so far seems to've been lifted from the Server 2012 documentation without telling you how to get started.
Can some kind soul please tell me what I need to get Hyper-V to run something akin to XP mode? I have Windows 8 Pro running in 64 bit mode, but sure need some getting started help, and I have licensed XP install discs.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP equivalent with Hyper-V?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP equivalent with Hyper-V?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry. I'm going to answer about Virtual Box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
I found my problem - no SLAT on CPU
by wpgwpg / January 26, 2013 9:10 AM PST

Thanks, Bob. Now I see why I couldn't get anywhere. My CPU (Core 2 E5200) doesn't support SLAT. And here I thought SLATs were something you put in a bed to hold the mattress up. Laugh I have to say that guy on LockerGnome was somethin' else. Shocked
I guess this Virtual Box runs OK under Windows 8 and doesn't require a processor with SLAT?

Collapse -
Good guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 12:30 PM PST

I've used Virtual Box on less that optimal computers. Sorry I didn't have the answer so I shared what I use.

Collapse -
Well now I've it installed - sorta
by wpgwpg / January 27, 2013 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Good guess.

I discovered that another old computer I have DOES have SLAT, it's a cheap Biostar mobo with a 4 year old AMD 3-core CPU but it has the pre-requisites, so I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 8 on it. You have to have the 64 bit version for Hyper-V. So after installing it and jumping through the hoops to get Hyper-V working, I created a new virtual machine and installed XP SP3. The install went pretty much as expected, taking about 50 min., and it booted up just fine. Just one problem. I haven't figured out how to get networking to work. I managed to get all the drivers installed, but it says all the NICs are disconnected. I've posted a question in the forums am awaiting help. XP Mode was so simple and easy, but this beast is something else. I'm chasing my tail, scratching my head, and using a lot of 4 letter words. If anybody comes along with the answer, I'd sure love to hear it.

Collapse -
Hyper-V - By jove, I've GOT it! :-)
by wpgwpg / January 28, 2013 12:19 AM PST

OK, I've hooked and crooked and finally I've actually GOT the sucker working. Laugh It's not all that hard once you hit on the right combination of settings, but finding that is like finding a sunken treasure ship. Here's what you have to do. First you set up an external virtual switch in the Hyper-V Management console. You don't want the VLAN box checked. You set this to connect with the real NIC you have with Windows 8. Then second you go to the Settings option below and set one of your network adapters to connect to that external virtual switch. BINGO, it works!

If MS in it's wisdom would just add that to their skimpy little documentation, it wouldn't be all that much harder than XP Mode, but they leave it to you to beat your head against the wall for a couple of days. Oh well, at least now the sucker works. I've activated XP and am now downloading and installing 120 updates. I have to say it seems to be extremely efficient; after watching it install 15 of the 120 updates, I haven't seen the CPU get more than 10% busy. This is with an AMD 3-core 2.8 GHz CPU in a 512 MB virtual machine. Right now I only have 2 GB total RAM, so I consider myself lucky to have it work; the specs say you should have 4, so I'll probably buy another couple of DIMMs and do the upgrade.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is where all the virtual hard drive stuff is going. The install only saw the first hard drive, which is a 36 GB 10,000 RPM drive, but the XP install said it would use an unassigned 12 MB area on that drive. However the unassigned space on that drive is only 2 MB. I think it's using a file on the Win 8 C: drive, but I've got to research that. Also I haven't figured out how to access the other partitions on this PC or the USB ports, so I ended up burning a DVD with the stuff I wanted to have w/XP and copied it onto the virtual C: drive. This is definitely the hammer and tongs approach, but at least I got the files and data into XP like I wanted. At least I won't toss and turn any more trying to figure out how to get on the Internet.

Ain't technology wunnerful! Wink

Collapse -
No USB support in Hyper-V!
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 1:26 AM PST

Can you believe it? MS did away with XP Mode with Windows 8 and gave us Hyper-V. But there's no USB support!!! Angry Since one of the popular uses for XP Mode was for old printers and scanners, that just rules out the main reasons I wanted XP with Windows 8. Methinks Mr. Balmer needs to go.
Bob your approach appears to have the advantages that (1) you don't need an XP license, and (2) it supports USB and access to the host partitions (which it doesn't appear you have with Hyper-V).
I did find out where the virtual disk files go. They go in a folder in the C:\Users\userid\Appdata folder.
At least now I know what to think when I hear/read comments about Hyper-V. Until MS gets around to adding at least USB support, I don't think most folks will find it for them, certainly not me. Sad

Collapse -
Thanks for the update on USB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 10:55 AM PST

The last things I need XP for is an old USB Microscope which is not to say we won't replace it but it's just another thing to replace in the lab.
The other is one last software piece that didn't work on Vista or 7 not matter what bits we tried.

Collapse -
Hyper-V is basically a Virtual machine
by orlbuckeye / January 30, 2013 11:27 PM PST

client just like toolbox or VMware's product are VM only. XP mode for Windows 7 was a Virtual with Windows XP included for no cost. What thats basically means is the license to run Windows XP is free in XP mode and is installed when you install XP mode. Toolbox and the other virtual machines just give you the ability to set up a virtual machine and you have to get the OS software and install separately. To do this legally if a license needs to be purchased you will need to purchase it. If you already own a retail version of XP you can install any virtual machine and install XP using the XP DVD/CD and it's legal.

Collapse -
And it's a VM w/o USB :-(
by wpgwpg / January 30, 2013 11:36 PM PST

Just a virtual machine without USB support! Angry I remember when Windows 98 came out, Gates saying how great USB is. That was 15 years ago, now they put this in Windows 8 and call it a replacement for XP Mode - yuck. I guess when Windows 9 comes out, they'll come out with something that doesn't support networking. Sad

Collapse -
I'm wondering if that's true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 11:44 PM PST

VMWare and VirtualBox had the USB working fine. Microsoft has been bent on reducing the scope of the OS and we see the results. I wonder if this feature was lost along the way.

I'm going to look into that in a few months (projects here are underway.)

Collapse -
According to the MS answers forum...
by wpgwpg / January 30, 2013 11:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Good discussion to link to. Note the "boot to VHD" ref...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 12:14 AM PST

Hyper V has the boot to VHD where the USB should work again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.