Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

XP doesn't boot to Login screen

by Stanr21 / April 19, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

I have an XP machine on an active directory domain. The box had been working fine until a week ago. Now, when it boots up, it goes to a login screen as if it were not in a domain. You have hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get to the regular domain login screen. At that point you can login and ti works like it always has, with access to all domain resources.

So far I have:
Scanned for Malware
DIsjoined and rejoined the domain
Changed the Computer Name (then disjoined/rejoined the domain)
Confirmed all network settings.

Also checked the registry for Domainlogon which has the domain name. Also under user settings the box for "Require Ctrl-Alt-Del" is checked.

I'm stumped...any ideas??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP doesn't boot to Login screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP doesn't boot to Login screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I cheat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

As the office will never pay for deep forensics we use system restore to when it worked or restore from it's image backup.

Yes, you can google this one for more ideas but I'm guessing your office is like ours and will not allow deep investigations.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'm googled out
by Stanr21 / April 19, 2013 6:13 AM PDT

I've googled for a week. That's why I bought it here. System restore is a good idea, I can try that.

The fact that I can still get them logged on to domain resources makes this a non-911, so I can take some slack time to try to work on this.

Collapse -
What registry entry?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2013 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm googled out

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
New String Value: DefaultDomainName
Enter your Domain Name

I could guess if the name was Local it may do as noted. But you wrote registry entry "Domainlogon" which isn't what I've used in the past.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
REgistry entry
by Stanr21 / April 20, 2013 1:21 AM PDT

The registry enter is in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Winlogon.

The key is DefaultDomainName and it's value is the name of my domain, as it should be, or so I've read.

Collapse -
At this point I'm thinking malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: REgistry entry

It takes hours to scan for such but if it's not following the policy and settings then malware becomes a real possibility. It was not funny last month to hear a client say it wasn't because "we have Norton."

Grif has a list of tools I use to scan with -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

At the office we don't do that today. I might run RKILL to see if some of the usual rootkits are there but given the time to repair versus the time to reload, we just reload.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks!
by Stanr21 / April 21, 2013 11:29 PM PDT

Yeah, this user is off on Fridays so I usually can use some of that day to work on it. Since she can log in to domain resources, I'd like to figure out what is causing this. I've scanned with Malwarebytes and Tsskiller and it comes up clean. I didn't think about rkill, but I'll try that next!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.