Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

XP detects other peoples wireless network but not mine

by cakemaker / March 27, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

Until now, ive had a HP m1190.uk PC (running xp) which was wired up to a router and i have a PS3 which is connected wirelessly and this was working fine.
I recently bought a HP Pavillion Elite m9180.uk PC which has vista and as this will now be the main computer, it is now wired to the router and i wanted to have my old xp computer connected wirelessly. The problem is that the old computer will not detect my wireless network. It can detect other peoples networks but not mine. There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the router either because the PS3 connects fine. Range should not be an issue either because the computer is only a metre away from the router.
I spoke to a HP technician who told me to install LLTD responder update but this did not help.
The router i am using is a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless N router model WNR834Bv2.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the xp computer to detect my network? I dont know that much about computers so please ask if i havent given enough information.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP detects other peoples wireless network but not mine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP detects other peoples wireless network but not mine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is you Netgear router
by PudgyOne / March 27, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

Broadcasting SSID (if changing settings, change the SSID so it makes it easier to connect)

Use WPA security

mixed b and g mode(n if available)

use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Also update the firmware in your Netgear.

Everything should work

Rick

Collapse -
Ive checked
by cakemaker / March 27, 2008 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Is you Netgear router

this and it still doesnt work. Considering that the vista computer and the ps3 connect fine, im sure it is something wrong with the XP computer. Ive even tried it with the firewalls off but this didnt work either.

Collapse -
Did you read our forum sticky about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Ive checked

Vista may not connect to some routers? A patch is noted (in the forum sticky.)

Collapse -
the vista computer
by cakemaker / March 31, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

connects fine. there is something wrong with the xp machine. Its probably just a setting that has escaped me.

Collapse -
Ive fixed it!!!
by cakemaker / March 31, 2008 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: the vista computer

I did destructive recovery to get rid of the junk that had accumulated over the last 4 years and now the wireless works fine!!! I dont know which settings it reset but im not going to fiddle around with it to find out now that its finally working.

Thank you guys for your help.

Collapse -
channel 11 worked
by kazi_rocky / May 4, 2014 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Is you Netgear router

Dear RICK,

I had spent 6 hours on internet to find a perfect solution . But somehow found yours. Channel 11 solved my problem instantly ... I had no intention to make user ID or account in CNET but only and only to give you thanks from the bottom of my heart I had to do that . As Because they dont allow to post comments from anonymous .
Thanks , thanks , thanks ..... and it goes on...

My os : windows 7
laptop: Dell inspiron 1564

Those who are facing problem please follow RICK's advise first. Happy

BR,
Kazi Forhan Ahmed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.