Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP cannot find printer

by Stan Denman / October 30, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

I recently got new system-Intel Core 2 Duo. I have an HP 4100N printer that I have never used as a network printer. The HP has no USB connection, so I bought a USB to Parallel printer cable. Connected to ANY usb port on the motherboard I cannot get XP to find the printer. Any help would be most appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP cannot find printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP cannot find printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That may be right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: XP cannot find printer

But I can't check up on your USB to Printer adapter since there is no web link to its maker.

I can share that mine had a driver CD to install a driver for said cable and after that I had a (virtual) LPT1: to print to.

Since you do have the "N" version of the printer maybe you can put it on the network?
Bob

Collapse -
Printer problems
by Stan Denman / October 30, 2008 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: That may be right.

I do have a CD that came with the cable. It does not have any executable files. So how woudl I create this "virtual" LPT port?

Collapse -
Give me a link to that product.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer problems

Its possible the seller kept the manual but given no make, model, or even a DIRECTORY LISTING you have to dig in, supply more detail. The make and model would be mandatory to begin this discussion.

If you can't supply this, use the network connection.
Bob

Collapse -
Details
by Stan Denman / October 30, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

Sorry I don't know what you mean by more details. The cable is one I bought at Fry's. "gearhead" is the Chinese maker of the cable. The CD supplied is for use with Window ME only. The enclosed brochure says that for Windows XP all that is required is to attached the cable and that "your computer will detect your Cable and install the necessary driver for your cable". This is what does not happen!

Collapse -
It's defective then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

The product did not do what it said it would do and given the CD is for Windows ME that's no help.

I dropped a BIG HINT you could supply the DIRECTORY LISTING of what's on the CD but you opted out. As it stands it's just a defective product.

Why not use the network option on the printer?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.