Windows 8 forum

xp can't join win8 workgroup

by holybagel / February 27, 2013 4:08 AM PST

We just got a Win 8 machine, and finally decided to make a workgroup to share printers. made the workgroup, named workgroup, on the new win8 box. two desktops with win7 connected perfectly.

I cannot get the xp laptop to connect, I changed the Name from mshome to workgroup, but it still does not work.

Any help would be appreciated

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xp can't join win8 workgroup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xp can't join win8 workgroup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more info
by sheilakmcd / February 27, 2013 7:44 PM PST

You need to provide more info to get help. Can the other machines see the XP machine under networks but can't connect, or are they not seen? Are you using simple file sharing on XP or regular sharing with user names and passwords? Have you enabled file and printer sharing in the TCP/IP properties of the network connection on XP?

Collapse -
more info
by holybagel / February 27, 2013 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Need more info

Other machines cannot see the xp box
Simple sharing
file and print sharing enabled
firewall turned off

Collapse -
Share anything?
by sheilakmcd / February 27, 2013 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: more info

Have you shared a folder on the XP machine and checked the box to allow other users to change my files?

Collapse -
by sheilakmcd / February 28, 2013 12:35 AM PST

Also, you said the XP machine is not seen in network on the others,, but are the other machines seen on the XP?
Have you done the reboot dance on all?

Collapse -
One more
by sheilakmcd / February 28, 2013 1:22 AM PST

One more point until I hear from you:
You will probably have to make a registry edit to increase the IRP stack size on the XP machine in order to be able to access it from Windows 8 or 7. It's a common issue and I had to on mine. But that should not keep you from at least seeing it, so I think you have another issue. However, you can google that and make that change, since it won't hurt anything and you are most likely going to need to anyway.

Collapse -
And One More Step... Install LLTD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 7:36 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.