Storage forum

General discussion

XP C: drive ok in Windows Explorer not in Disk Management

by nirvana_1959 / April 4, 2009 9:32 AM PDT

I see only CD-ROM drive under Disk Management. Logical drive C and D are otherwise accessible (eg., via Explorer).

I had setup the following services with Start up Type = Automatic:
Plug and Play (Logon as Local service)
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (Logon as Network Service)
Logical Disk Manager (Logon as Local service)
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (Logon as Local service)
I also tried adding the following to the list above without luck:
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator (Logon as Network Service)

System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP 3

I also had an E drive (Seagate Free Agent Pro connected to USB port). This is not showing anywhere (Exploreer or Disk Manager). However, partition Manger pick it up. Device Manger shows it correctly under Disk Drives.

Help please...

Regards,
Anil

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP C: drive ok in Windows Explorer not in Disk Management
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP C: drive ok in Windows Explorer not in Disk Management
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the usual fix?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
XP: C drive not seen in "Disk Management"
by nirvana_1959 / April 4, 2009 10:15 AM PDT

CD-ROM drive: is working fine. Shows up in "Disk Manager" and Windows Explorer. No error or error code anywhere. Driver running fine.

Hard disk C drive: Working fine. Can be seen in Windows Explorer and "Disk Defragmenter" . Not seen in "Disk Management". No error code anywhere. Driver running fine.

Collapse -
Did anyone tinker with SERVICES?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

These appear to have to be running in order for Disk Management to not be blank.

Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Logical Disk Manager
and Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service.

Collapse -
I see most services appear to be running?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

This issue is usually found with machines people tinkered with Services or ran registry cleaners. I've yet to find an easy to use fix tool for those machines.

In fact, we've started to just wipe and reinstall more as the damage has been getting worse as more people try registry cleaners.

-> As to services, look up Black Viper's page on this and use ALL the defaults.
Bob

Collapse -
by nirvana_1959 / April 4, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

Thanks Bob.

I had a trojan in my computer. has it fixed using Anti-malware. It did "fix" some registry entries. May be this was the trigger. I don't manually inker with these things unless they are documented well (like mcAfee's instruction to remove a trojan).

Link to Black Viper's page please...

Collapse -
lInk to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
E Drive (Seagate) question
by nirvana_1959 / April 4, 2009 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: lInk to...

Thanks Bob. I'll took a look at Black Spider web site. Have to refresh my Greek and Latin a bit :-).

Do you have any suggestion for the E drive that I lost in Explorer and Disk Management. Appears in Device Manager under Disk Drives.

Collapse -
If E is a CD/DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 12:44 PM PDT

Use the CODE 39 fix.

If not, install AUTORUN EATER and reboot.

Collapse -
E is an external drive (Seagate Free Agent Pro) 750 GB
by nirvana_1959 / April 4, 2009 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: If E is a CD/DVD

I have installed AUTORUN EATER.

Collapse -
Back to normal yet?
by TheOutcaste / April 8, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

Did AutoRun Eater fix this issue for you?

Thanks,

Jerry

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by binyo66 / June 5, 2009 12:00 PM PDT

I have the same problem under win 3000 server. All services, and hardwares seem to work fine. Disk defragment, explorer and other softwares shows what it is supposed to show. Only disk managment shows my virtual cd-rom. Right now I am scanning the whole system, I will let you guys knows the result.

thx
binyo

Collapse -
Time travelers find these days barbaric.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2009 10:53 PM PDT

And spare parts don't exist yet. But that one line "Only disk managment shows my virtual cd-rom." was interesting. I've seen that happen on machines with virtual drives. We toss those out and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
If the scan doesn't find it...
by TheOutcaste / June 6, 2009 5:23 AM PDT

If the scan doesn't find anything, boot with a Live CD and scan, or check in Windows\System32 and Windows\System32\drivers for odd file names. Sort by date, they'll usually be grouped together.
Delete or move any you find, then reboot and scan again.
Names like this:
UACmedsmfu.dll
UACvoweciqd.dll
UACwfolevxe.dll
UACcamcltde.dll
UACfavokuo.dll
b762b914.sys
582ccda.sys
ovfsthmvtmimqrkqvscnavmmhtucbnnrykefus.sys

These won't show up when booted into Windows so use a Live CD.

Live CDs
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
BartPE CD/DVD
Ultimate Boot CD
Knoppix
Ubuntu
Puppy Linux
The first two require access to a Windows XP Disk
The Ultimate Boot CD does not include SATA drivers, so you'll either need to be able to change the BIOS setting for the SATA controller to ATA instead of AHCI, or Compatibility mode instead of Enhanced(wording will vary)

Collapse -
Still Scanning
by binyo66 / June 6, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

Update :
1. Scanning using Symantec 10.1.6 virus def 6/5/2009 found some trojan in the old outlook email backup (so, it should be ok). But symantec still quarantined them.
2. MS. Malicious Software May 2009 still in process, and found nothing so far.
3. Remotely with MC Afee Security Center (automatically updated) Virus Scann 13.3, dat 6/5/2009 is still in process, and so far has found nothing.
4. Remotely with Kaspersky (I think it is also the latest, since it is automatically updated), so far found some trojans in wise installation :(, but it is still in process.
5. Mc Afee Desktop Firewall 8.5 shows nothing suspicious in the traffic so far.

Collapse -
Rootkit Virus
by gomez8 / July 12, 2009 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Still Scanning

Your problem probably is a rootkit virus. I just suffered through the same problem and searched everywhere for a solution. My symptoms were that device manager and explorer displayed the drives, but disk management was a complete blank for all drives (including cd roms). Chkdsk and defrag couldn't recognize any drives and system restore was not functional. Couldn't burn cds or dvds because no program could find a device to use; although, I could read cds and dvds, and the dvd drive displayed in the device manager, but I couldn't write to the device.

I tried several rootkit detectors, and the only one that found and eradicated the hidden files and registry entries was McAfee Rootkit Detective Version 1.1, which is a free beta release. It found the hidden files and registry entries in the first pass (about 10 minutes) and allowed me to rename the hidden files and remove the hidden registry entries (which by name were obviously associated with the hidden files -- all of which were named "higrui*.*" where the "*" was variable).

That resolved the problem, restored the visibility of my drives and partitions in disk management, restored functionality to checkdsk and defrag, and restored full access to my dvd drive. Go to the McAfee site and download the free and fully functional "Rootkit Detective" (you might have to search for it on the site, but it's there).

Collapse -
After Scan
by binyo66 / June 7, 2009 1:25 PM PDT

OK Scan with :
MCAfee (remote), Symantec, MS Malicious Software Removal, MS Rootkit Reveal and AVG 8.5.3 (remotely with Jun 5 dat, and it was not kaspersky as I mention in previous post) were finally done. And any suspects had been removed (AVG was the best, it found more than the others, while MS and MCAfee found none), but most trojans were in ZIP files inside a huge outlook file which was 10 years old (with exception was the wise installation). and Remove the alcohol virtualCD, and clean the registry as suggested in alcohol forum, Rebooted, and disk managment showed none now.
Then as you suggested, I checked the system32\drivers. All seems come from trusted companies, none with strange name, but some were old drivers. The Win 2003 Server here was an updated from Win 2000 servers. Especially interesting were drivers from Adaptec (I think it came with EZSCSI5). I checked adaptec site, it didnt have any update of EZSCSI, so I disabled one by one, rebooted and checked (from ASPI32, DRIVEMAP, SCSIPWR). Finally after disable SCSIPWR (scsipwr.sys), and viola, it worked, and about time. It was monday morning here.

thx
binyo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.