Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

Xbox internet browser

by mubimbo / February 25, 2006 7:54 PM PST

Hi i heard about their being an xbox browser and was just wondering if its true and where can i download it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox internet browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox internet browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by saurabhs / February 26, 2006 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Xbox internet browser

probably not true....
was it on xbox or xbox 360?

Collapse -
Of course it does!
by andypalmer33 / March 19, 2006 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

What do you mean "Probably Not"? This is the mighty XBOX we are talking about here! The most adaptable games console on the market to date! Of course there is a Web Browser for it. Assuming you have your console modded, it works like a dream. You can get it free from here...

http://ysbox.online.fr/

Enjoy!

Once you unlock the potential of the XBOX, there is no turning back...

Collapse -
Xbox is god!...well I prefer Satan...
by GEDG666 / February 12, 2007 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Of course it does!

Hey you're damn right! the Xbox is amazing...in fact I'm posting this reply from Linksboks (the xbox browser)!!

Collapse -
Help!!!!
by crashxtreme / April 10, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

Hey man.. help a nubee !!! I don't know how to get the bloody browser onto the xbox... I still wanna be able to use XBMC.. I've looking on the net.. and I am crazy with it!!! Please help!!!!!

Thanks a million

Crashxtreme

Collapse -
Just FTP it
by jackson dougless / April 10, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Help!!!!

All you have to do, is FTP the Linksboks program to whatever directory XBMC is set up to look for applications in. XBMC will then automatically find the XBE for it, and create an icon you can use to launch it. If you don't know what directory this is, you'll have to look at your XBMC AdvancedSettings.xml file to find out. Check the online documentation at the XBMC website if you need more info on that.

Catch is, the Xbox is a single tasking system, so when you run Linksboks, it will unload XBMC from memory. Once you quit Linksboks, it should reload whatever is your default dashboard, presumably XBMC.

There's been talk of integrating Linksboks into XBMC, but I don't know that it will ever happen. The Xbox only has 64MB of RAM for EVERYTHING, and XBMC uses up around 35MB of that already. There's also a faction that thinks a web browser has little to do with a media hub like XBMC. Maybe when the Xbox 360 is finally cracked and Xbox Media Center is ported to it... But it's just idle speculation until the first proper modchip arrives, or some means of soft modding the system.

Collapse -
eh?
by Skisy / July 29, 2007 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Just FTP it

The AdvancedSetting.xml file doesn't exist unless you create it though...How would I do that?

Collapse -
true, but...
by bevillan / April 10, 2007 11:58 PM PDT

Not many people want to go to the trouble to mod their Xbox or 360, especially with the 360 since it voids your warranty.

Most of us have computers to serve for all the modding that people waste time doing.

Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by jackson dougless / April 11, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: true, but...

The 360 hasn't been fully cracked yet. A few select kernel versions have a security hole that will let you boot up something like Linux, but it's still a long ways from what's possible with the original Xbox.

There is a single modchip for the 360, and it does allow for read/write access to the internal memory that stores the 360's kernel... Maybe in the near future someone will devise a way to trap and rewrite instructions to and from the kernel, allowing unsigned code to be executed... Maybe someone will figure out a softmod method using glitches in games, like the King Kong exploit.

But the point is, the Xbox was really quite the versatile little beast. Xbox Media Center is an absolutely marvelous program. Turning the Xbox into a fully fledged media center hub, complete with remote, the ability to stream files from a computer via a network connection... Compared to a computer, it's low power, quick to boot up, ready to connect to almost any TV, cheap, portable. The only problem with it is that the 733MHz CPU and 64MB total RAM limit its ability to play back high definition files. The 360 has around 3X the processing power, and 8X the RAM. It can handle the high def content without problem, and it still has all the same benefits as the original Xbox over a media center PC. It could be so much more than just a game console and makeshift DVD player.

Collapse -
we need a xbox 360 browser!!!
by waygood / June 13, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

WE NEED AN BROWSER FOR THE XBOX 360 IT WOULD BE SOOOOO MUCH EASIER

Collapse -
Good luck with that
by Jimmy Greystone / June 13, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

Good luck with that. There's still no true modchip for the 360 that allows unsigned code to run on it. Until that day arrives, assuming it ever does, you're SOL since Microsoft doesn't seem interested in providing one.

I wish the 360 had a media player that could even hold a candle to XBMC. It would have saved me a lot of money and effort in building a HTPC. There's keeping things simple, and then there's lacking the features to make it even worth bothering with. The 360's media player is of the latter category. I'd still be using my old Xbox if it had the power to decode 720/1080p video files.

Collapse -
it does have the power!
by UKX-KRONIC / September 15, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck with that

since the recent May 2011 release of XBMC4XBOX. it can now play HD/Blu-ray files (mkv)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.