Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox harms your flat screen TV?

by paqrmatt / November 19, 2007 10:31 PM PST

My wife says she read somewhere that play Xbox (or video games in general) will ruin the picture quality of your TV. Is that true??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox harms your flat screen TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox harms your flat screen TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kinda, sorta
by not2worried / November 19, 2007 11:36 PM PST

Some fear of burn-in.
If you had objects that stay in the same place for a long time it could burn in.
Same thing if you watch tv and had there little symbol on the bottom corner.
or Pause a movie for a great time.
This is mainly a problem for Plasma and CRT tvs.
Older tvs had more of a problem with this.
New one's not so much.

A new tv should have the brightness turned down for the first 100 hrs to help prevent this.
I have a plasma and a xbox 360. No problems here! ; )

I pulled this off the web>>>>>>>>>>

Burn-in

Screen burn-in can damage displays that rely on a phosphor coating on the screen ? plasma TVs and rear-projection CRT-based TVs are the most vulnerable to burn-in, and it's less likely, but possible with direct-view CRT TVs. Burn-in can occur when a static image such as a video game, stock or news ticker, or station logo remains on-screen for an extended period (generally several hours). These images can become etched into the phosphor coating, leaving faint but permanent impressions on-screen. In recent years, makers of plasma TVs have refined the panel technology and included anti-burn-in features which substantially reduce the chances of burn-in. Plasma owners can also help to prevent burn-in by properly adjusting the TV's brightness and contrast settings when the TV is new.

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / November 19, 2007 11:39 PM PST

No, to a TV, a game console is absolutely no different from a DVD player or even an over the air TV signal. The only real difference is that games might be prone to having still images, which if left to sit for very long periods of time, can cause burn-in. Meaning you'd have a permanent faint image of whatever was left displayed on the screen. However, generally you'd need to leave the exact same image on the screen for several days for that to happen.

I'm sure your wife meant well, but she didn't understand what it was she read, or the person who wrote the article didn't know what they were talking about.

Collapse -
Burn in
by johnbuker / November 19, 2007 11:45 PM PST

I'm going to assume that your wife read something on "burn in".
First off, if you have a LCD TV, you shouldn?t have to worry about ?burn in?.
However, all phosphor based display systems (CRT and plasma TVs) are susceptible to image retention also known as "ghosting?, ?image shadowing?, or ?burn in". ?Burn in? is caused by leaving a static image on the screen for a long period of time which causes
damage to pixels by prematurely aging phosphors which therefore glow less intensely than those of surrounding pixels on a plasma or CRT TV screen. The damaged or "burned in" pixel develops a "memory" of the color information that was repeatedly fed to it in a static manner over a period of time. And that phosphor color information has actually become seared or etched into the plasma TV glass.
For the past couple of years the resistance of plasma TVs to "burn in" has been greatly improved. Many manufacturers us a technique called ?motion adaptive anti burn in technology?, which causes static images on the screen to constantly move so slightly that the movement can?t be detected by the human eye but still moves the image enough to cause color changes in the pixels. A second technique used by some manufacturers is improvement in the phosphor gas itself in order to make it more resistant to burn in.
As a result of these advancements, a couple of prominent manufacturers now claim that plasma TVs have the same burn in resistance and susceptibility as CRT TVs.
In my opinion, ?burn in? isn?t near the problem that it?s been made out to be. The only places that I have personally witnessed it are in places like airports where they've used an older plasma TV to display flight information (so 24 hours a day, 7 days a week of static images and on older generation plasmas) and on older projection TVs used for gaming. I admittedly don?t own an HDTV yet, but the reason I don?t is because my 32? Toshiba CRT TV still works perfectly fine after 15 years and I just can?t see spending money to replace it until it dies. My Toshiba has seen countless hours of gaming over these last 15 years and has not experienced any burn in.

Collapse -
BURN-IN !!!
by paqrmatt / January 7, 2008 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Burn in

Well, after owning my XBox for less than a month, I've already experienced burn-in on my 2005 Panasonic plasma TH-42PX50U tv. I've been playing Madden 08 a lot lately. The longest session being maybe 4-5 hours in one sitting. I just noticed that the band towards the bottom of the screen that shows the score/time has burned into the TV! It's only visible when the screen is entirely one color (ie. black, grey, blue). But my wife has been killing me with "I TOLD YOU SO!"...she bought the tv and warned me it would happen. So what the hell?? How did this happen after everyone here said it wouldn't?!

Collapse -
I think if you read
by Jimmy Greystone / January 7, 2008 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: BURN-IN !!!

I think if you read a lot of the posts from people with plasma screens, they say that you need to sort of "break in" the display for like 100 hours or so before doing much gaming or burn-in is a possibility.

ANY time you have a static, or relatively static, display on a screen there's a chance for burn-in if it's left on there long enough. And some TVs will be more prone to this than others, depending on how they were made, when they were made, and even some random dumb luck.

Collapse -
"Breaking in" a video game?
by paqrmatt / January 7, 2008 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: I think if you read

I've never heard of that. How exactly do you "break in" a game? What does that mean? How long does a game need to be broken in for? Noone here, including you, mentioned anything about breaking a game in to avoid burn in. I was told basically to not worry about burn-in. For as much as was said in regards to "don't worry about burn-in", my tv got it pretty easily. Like I said, I never played the game for more than a 4hr timeframe...and that was only once. I think you guys should know more about what you're talking about before giving people advice in this forum.

I'll be much more careful about who I take advice from on CNET forums.

Collapse -
The TV
by Jimmy Greystone / January 7, 2008 7:26 AM PST

The TV, not the game.

Collapse -
tv not new
by paqrmatt / January 7, 2008 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: The TV

i stated that the tv was bought in 2005...its plenty broken in.

Collapse -
and i believe your exact quote was...
by paqrmatt / January 7, 2008 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: The TV

..."you'd need to leave the exact same image on the screen for several days for that to happen."

does the phrase "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" mean anything to you?

Collapse -
No, it doesn't
by Jimmy Greystone / January 7, 2008 11:00 AM PST

No, it doesn't, because I also said that there are other factors that come into play. Older HDTV sets are much more prone to burn-in than more recently made ones, just like older TVs and computer monitors.

Now, you're upset and want to vent some of your frustration. That's all perfectly understandable, but being a first rate jack@$$ isn't going to help anything. Instead, you might want to think about channeling some of that energy into something productive, like figuring out some kind of alternative gaming setup so as not to make the situation worse than it already is. You'll also need to accept that what's done is done and you can't change it. Throwing childish temper tantrums only makes you look foolish, and your TV will still have faint burn-in when you're done pouting.

So, I would have to say that if you can't control your temper any better than you have, you might want to reconsider coming back here. You may also want to try some anger management classes.

Collapse -
childish?
by paqrmatt / January 8, 2008 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: No, it doesn't

So airing a grievance I have with your bad advice is considered childish by you? First rate jacka$$? I'm actually amuzed by that. I'm not sure what world you live in, but the rest of us live in one where you're held accountable for things. That includes not spouting off about things we don't know about. Foolish is referring to my voiced displeasure with your less than helpful advice as "throwing a temper tantrum". Wake up and step down from your desk chair Jimmy. If you don't like my comments, tough. Then don't respond to my thread...I wish you hadn't in the first place.

Btw, I have taken measures to improve the situation. What, did you expect me to consult you with this? That's laughable.

Collapse -
If you don't want to listen
by Jimmy Greystone / January 8, 2008 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: childish?

If you don't want to listen that's fine, I won't waste my time talking to you further. I'm in a really good mood today, I got to talk to a good friend of mine whom I haven't really spoken with in over a month, and I don't particularly feel like letting you ruin that for me.

So, when you've finished with your childish tantrums I hope someone's around and kind enough to take pity on you, but it won't be me.

Collapse -
what the hell?!?
by gerrinix / March 10, 2012 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: childish?

how is that even related to the subject we're supposed to be talking about called a "burn in" you DUMBA$$! get back on task

Collapse -
yes it will burn in
by RECOAT / October 25, 2011 7:26 AM PDT

Yes it will burn in if you play for a long time it happend to me when i was playing my xbox so wat i did was when and watched tv and it whent away

Collapse -
thank you
by gerrinix / March 10, 2012 11:05 AM PST

thank you so much! i knew it would not cause a "burn in"!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.