Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

XBOX "Disc Error" CHAOS

by freakyjord2025 / November 20, 2005 6:13 AM PST

I dont know if anyone has written about this problem, but Im now getting a hell of a lot of problems w/ my xbox 1st version. I just got the new Need for Speed and True Crimes xbox games yesterday, but when I tried to play NFS this morning, I began getting the "dirty disc" error when the disc was still clean and new. SOmetimes, it loads, but now loading is slow, the courses arent fully loaded during race time, random loading signs occur during races, and then I will get a error saying disc is dirty. I tried True Crimes, but it still gets that dirty disc error. All games and cds dont work now and I wanna fix it. Ive heard the disc drive might be the problem, but i want to hear ALL symptoms that might be causing problems and how I can solve them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XBOX "Disc Error" CHAOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XBOX "Disc Error" CHAOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Broke"
by HanzooznaH / November 24, 2005 1:23 AM PST

it's broke so if you have a warenty trade it now

Collapse -
Repair info
by Poecilotheria / November 24, 2005 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: "Broke"

Here's a link to info about dirty disk read errors:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

It's also not that hard to replace the xbox dvd drive if you need to. The above website tells you how to take an xbox apart which does void your warranty but you can keep the hard drive with your saved data. That website also sells parts (it's where I got my motherboard) or ebay (where I got my dvd drive for $20-30).

Collapse -
NO surprise
by Larry.T / March 22, 2006 7:45 AM PST

I have the same problem. My Madden games were not recognized by the XBOX when i bought them and put them in. Does the XBOX disc drive perform poorly?, YES! Are EASports games particularly horrible with this problem?, YES! The problem is both the XBOX and EASports. Return your games and get a refund. If the store refuses to refund, look in the back of the game manual and get the return info there. I feel for ya.

Collapse -
Mine too.
by Rainespat / May 31, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

We rented Need For Speed Most Wanted. It worked for about 2 or 3 hours then it was doing the "Disk Is Dirty or Scratched" thing. We could get on the trck some times but we would only make it about halfway before it would say "Disk Is Dirty or Scratched"

Collapse -
Cheap fix for disc error
by burkebri / January 15, 2012 9:50 PM PST

I had an Xbox "dirty disc, open tray" message and spent untold hours on the web reading flaky solutions such as polishing the laser lens with buffing compound. I tried "tuning" the laser to increase the power output. I considered a new DVD drive but was daunted by the firmware loading. Ultimately I ordered a $6.50 laser replacement and Googled instructions to replace the old one. It took 15 minutes (the box was already open). The machine works fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.