Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox 360 unable to read

by jimmyo s / December 31, 2010 6:53 AM PST

Have a xbox 360 that stopped being able to read discs. Can it be repaired? Do I throw it in the trash.

Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox 360 unable to read
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox 360 unable to read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I may be outside the forum policies here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 6:58 AM PST

While I did accomplish repair of such by swapping in a new dvd drive what I had to learn and do in the process taught me more than I bargained for. And it was a good thing I had some spare older PC to get the firmware into the new drive.

Sadly I think that I can't write more than that and stay inside the forum policies!

So yes it can be repaired but beware that DIY repair appears to be too much for most and I fear it may be considered breaking some "Microsoft LAW."
Bob

Collapse -
Repair
by jimmyo s / December 31, 2010 7:04 AM PST

If I took it to a Microsoft authorized repair store would it be worth the cost or should it just be replaced?

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Let me be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Repair

If this is a nice newer HDMI equipped 360 I'd get a price for the repair and compare to a replacement unit.

If this is the pre-HDMI unit I suggest not since the chipset is known for the RROD issue which is covered but I like the newer not so often HDMI RROD units.
Bob

Collapse -
Probably not
by Jimmy Greystone / December 31, 2010 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Repair

Probably not, but it kind of depends. The new 4GB Slim model goes for about $200US, so if you don't really use the HDD for anything but game saves, you'd probably just be better off selling yours on eBay and buying a new 4GB Slim.

If you like to store games on the HDD as well, or download movies, etc from Xbox Live... Then you have to ask yourself if it's worth an extra $100US over the 4GB model to get a 250GB HDD. Or spend that money getting the system fixed. I think MS has a flat rate $140 repair price, but you should be able to verify that with a little Googling. What usually ends up happening is they just ship you a refurbished unit that is as close to the same generation as yours. Then they give you a 90 day warranty, and a 1-month Live card. But you're on your own getting the system to them. They'll provide a shipping label, but you have to provide the box.

And of course if you have any interest at all in Kinect, the new Slim models are clearly what MS had in mind when designing Kinect.

You could also potentially find someone selling a system that has the RROD issue, but the optical drive is fine. You'll need a special tool to pop some latches on the 360 case, but you can practice on the RRODing one so it's no big deal if you bend it all up. After that, just swap drives. No firmware issues to worry about, and if you play on Xbox Live, it's a "genuine" Xbox 360 drive, so should be no ban issues to worry about.

So, you have to ask yourself just how much of an excuse do you need to get a new 360 Slim, possibly with Kinect.

Collapse -
why the xbox will not read discs.
by Chri51234 / February 1, 2011 1:28 AM PST

This error I see quite a lot - I run a computer repair shop but the amount of PS3's and Xbox 360's that come in is...well ALOT!

This actually happens because of the laser being slightly off.

Sometimes it is the drive that is faulty but in 85% of cases it is the laser off key.

You can send it in and they will fix it for you although this can take about 4 weeks and cost you $150 for this error to be fixed.

The other way that you can fix it is by repairing it yourself and for this a good Xbox 360 repair guide helps > http://www.threeredlightsfix.com

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
xbox 360
by xtreme800 / April 16, 2011 11:31 AM PDT

anyone here do "Modding" and Resell used Xboxs? let me know..,

Collapse -
Not a mod or for sale forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: xbox 360

Please check the forum policies.

Because of the country this forum is in, mods are not a suitable topic.

Locking this old discussion.

Collapse -
Don't throw it in the trash
by blackopsperks / March 24, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

I am not sure if it can be repaired or not but if it ends up being unfix-able you can always sell it on ebay for parts to recover some costs instead of just throwing it in the trash.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.