Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

xbox 360 overheating issue

by tteister / January 16, 2008 12:29 AM PST

my xbox tends to freeze a lot while I'm playing and gets the red overheating lights a lot too. I have my 360 on a flat wooden surface in the middle of the room so there is plenty of ventilation. I have been reading a lot that the nyko and pelican fans don't actually fix the xbox but break it so I was thinking of getting a laptop cooler. I wanted to know if that would work. If I got a laptop cooler and put it under the 360 to keep it cool. If it works does anyone know which one I should get?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xbox 360 overheating issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xbox 360 overheating issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem with that
by Jimmy Greystone / January 16, 2008 2:54 AM PST

The problem with that is one of basic physics: Heat rises.

Laptop coolers work mostly by virtue of the fact that laptop makers have turned the entire case into a giant heatsink in order to make everything thinner. So there's a lot of heat generating components really close to the bottom of the case, and there's also not a lot of options for where else the heat can go.

The 360 doesn't necessarily work the same way. While Microsoft hasn't officially said anything, the heat problem in the 360 is due to some kind of manufacturing defect. So if you're getting overheating issues, you should make a warranty claim on it. From what I've heard, it doesn't guarantee you'll get back a "fixed" system, but you don't appear to have a lot to lose. Worst case scenario is that you have to live without the console for maybe a month, and then it comes back no better than when it left.

Collapse -
Re: What is the manufacture Date of your 360
by jn24uk / January 17, 2008 5:16 AM PST

How long are you playing for?

Collapse -
hard to say
by tteister / January 17, 2008 3:58 PM PST

i play my 360 a lot, i play it added up probably 6-10 hours on weekends or when i don't have school, some of the time it spends just on sitting at the main screen of a video game. Well, the heat problem with the 360 I know is due to the use of bad solder on the 360 and the GPU. The GPU generates a lot of heat sitting right under the dvd drive and it doesn't have a fan properly situated to really ventilate that heat. The GPU is at the bottom of the 360 which is why i think the laptop cooler would work well.

Collapse -
Make sure you
by thommythomthom / November 10, 2011 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: hard to say

turn the xbox off if you're not using it... this contributes big time to the issue (i've found)

Collapse -
Use the NYKO cooler...in other way, of course
by scorpion81a / February 2, 2008 2:44 AM PST

First of all, excuse my english, i am from Venezuela.
I am a ruthless player, playing for hours without resting. I bought the NYKO cooler and used it, but 2 weeks later my console got the 3 red lights problem (the first time!!!)then i removed the intercooler, and the 3 lights gone. But was still remaining the problem of overheating....simple. Since i realized the cooler was the cause of the 3 red lights I remove the conection with the 360 making and external and separated source of energy with a trnasformer of 12V and 1200mAh, of course, with this power the cooler worked much more powerfull and useful to the console, and overheathing, goodbye. The good thing in that you dont need to make anything at the console, only modify the cooler for better performance.

I actualy play without red lights and without overheathing. Plus, a put the 360 in a dock with only 4 points of support, thus the air may circulate below the console.

Collapse -
whered u get external power source
by tteister / February 2, 2008 7:17 AM PST

I don't think I completely understand. You said you used the nyko but because its a powerzapper for the 360 it gave the red rings of death. You took it off and then somehow supplied it with power from an external source. If that's what you said could you show me what external power source was used and where I can buy it, because that would be perfect.

Collapse -
Example USB power source.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2008 8:35 AM PST
Collapse -
... how does that power the intercooler?
by tteister / February 2, 2008 9:55 AM PST

How does that provide power for the intercooler? Isn't the intercooler powered directly from the 360's power outlet on the back and not usb?

Collapse -
There are a few coolers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2008 9:57 AM PST

Mix and match as needed.

Collapse -
nyko intercooler
by tteister / February 2, 2008 10:50 AM PST

I'm talking about the nyko intercooler, that is really the only good intercooler for the 360, the rest of the ones that are made specifically for the 360 are bad.

Collapse -
this is my procedure...take note
by scorpion81a / February 2, 2008 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: nyko intercooler

is a little drastic and rude.
1. take the cooler, open it with a screwdriver, later, with a instrument (like a saw or equivalent) "cut" the segment corresponding at the energy socket, leaving intact the fans and the case of them, and of course, the cable(s)
2. each fan has 2 cables, 6 in total, arrange in two group of three (depending the colour/polarity) making 2 groups....
3. conect, looking at the polarity, at one AC/DC transformer 12V minimun 500mAh (i recomend 1200mAh, is big, but reliable) each group of cables of the fans.
4. close the cooler with the screwdiver. Seal the conection between cables with a special tape (we dont want shortcuts here)
5. verify the polarity in the AC/Dc transformer until the coolers spin. The more output power is, the more power of spining and ventilation the cooler will show.
6. attach the cooler at the console at the same original place, of course, there will be the space for the origial energy cable, with a direct conection at the 360.

Someone can say this is rude, but i prefer performance and security (cool console) rather than style (originally the coolers "steal" energy at the console, giving chance of the 3 red lights, i figured out that). An external and INDEPENDENT source of energy dont affect the 360 energy imput.

I use el cooler conected at AC/DC transformer (and this conected at the socket wall) at 12V and 1200mAh.
a bad thing: since this adjust make the cooler spin and cool the console like the gods, is making some noise (like a chooper hahaha). I dont care, i use big earphones.

Hope this may be useful for you.

William, from Venezuela. (excuse my english)

Collapse -
i wanna hear some feedback about my post
by scorpion81a / February 13, 2008 11:37 PM PST

has anyone test my solution modifying the cooler yet? i wanna hear feedbaks about mu post. Only to konw if someone has found this as useful as i did.

Collapse -
I like it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 10:10 AM PST

No, I didn't do that but I see it.

Collapse -
Play in a freezer
by Hiprocksoul / May 21, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

Playing your 360 while keeping the system in a freezer seems to be the only logical answer. I suggest buying a mini freezer to place next to your entertainment center and keeping your 360 in there 24-7. Otherwise, utilize the warranty and then sell it on e-bay. Based on statistics, even if you get a working one back, it will break again after the warranty is over. Sell the replaced working unit while it's worth something and then buy a PS3 and/or Wii.

Collapse -
Yes i did samthing
by RECOAT / October 25, 2011 7:33 AM PDT

Hi i did the same thing my xbox is overheating to matter where it is how cold or hot it is it overheats so wat i did was i bought a fan and i put it on the xbox and it blows clod are into the inside of the xbox and my xbox got faster and better in just a week so if it is not working just keep doing it and it should get better

Collapse -
I'd like to choose the cooler
by Grees_Misser / October 31, 2011 5:49 PM PDT

use the laptop cooler is the better choice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.