Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

xbox 360 loud fan

by mp3_kid / October 4, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

I bought a refurbished(bigger fan)xbox 360 this week and I have no regrets...except for the loud fan. Is there a way to make it less noisy without having the risk of it overheating? Because my Xbox sounds like a hairdryer...

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xbox 360 loud fan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xbox 360 loud fan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what I understand
by Jimmy Greystone / October 4, 2008 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: xbox 360 loud fan

From what I understand, this is just how things are with the 360.

I wouldn't recommend doing much to limit the airflow around the 360, especially a refurb model. The only thing I can think of to suggest, is something along the lines of an entertainment center that has a door on it, but with an open back end. So long as you keep this a good 2-3 inches from the wall, it shouldn't obstruct airflow greatly, but it will muffle the sound somewhat.

Collapse -
Thnaks but...
by mp3_kid / October 5, 2008 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: From what I understand

Thanks for the suggestion...but I don't have an entertainment center in my room... But I do have a spot for it. Ill try it out, but Im still open for suggestions.

Collapse -
XBox 360 fan noise
by wthilo / October 9, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Thnaks but...

The 360 is sensitive to airflow restrictions. Per the instructions you should maintain 6 inches of clearance around the 360. Essentially, keep things away from it so there is plenty of airflow. I use a fan that is in a stand that I place the 360 into on on of my 360s, and on my other 360 I use one that attaches to the back. I personally prefer the fan in the stand, as I think it is quieter. Both of these products retail for around $20. However the real key is to keep plenty of clearance around the 360 to ensure unobstructed airflow.

Collapse -
Don't use the Intercooler
by YodaEXE / October 9, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: XBox 360 fan noise

Actually, the fan that attaches to the back has been shown to cause more overheating issues than it solves, because it disrupts the airflow inside the system.

Collapse -
Intercooler for 360
by wthilo / October 9, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

The early intercoolers from Nyyko did have issues with them, but they since upgraded them with better circuitry and a lock that prevents the power plug from coming loose. I also heard stories that the fans on these intercoolers blew air in the wrong direction, which may be why there are those saying these intercoolers can cause overheating. I don't believe that is true an more, or if it ever was. Regardless though, I do personally prefer and use the intercooler that is a stand for the 360. However you need to place the 360 vertically, which may not be possible for some 360 owners. The stand intercooler I use has a USB cord that connects to the 360s USB port (it has a pass through so you don't lose the USB port) to power it.

Collapse -
InterCooler issues
by PCUser2008 / October 19, 2008 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Intercooler for 360

my first question is how old is your 360? does it have a HDMI port in the back? I hope it does, If so then you have a newer version of xbox 360 and thoes units should have fans that do not sound loud. I had a 360 that overheaded and died, with the intercooler installed. Ever since i replaced that 360 with a newer model(with HDMI port)I dont have any issues with loud fan noise or overheating(xbox red ring of DEATH)

Collapse -
thanks
by mp3_kid / December 12, 2008 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: InterCooler issues

I do have an HDMI port at the back. Its noisy, but I put my xbox under the bed, so I dont notice it. And t doesnt overheat. Played for 5 hours straight with my friends and nothing Silly

Collapse -
XBOX 360 loud fan
by buddyAsh / December 12, 2008 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: xbox 360 loud fan

i hv a xbox360(refurbished) with a hdmi port which i took recently.it is making a loud noise. as i hv nvr used one bfore, i dont know how loud noise it does make normally. is something wrong with the console or usually xbox consoles make noise...plse help

thanxx in advance

Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / December 12, 2008 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: XBOX 360 loud fan

Two things:

1: Don't hijack someone else's thread for your problem, start a new one
2: Stop with the annoying texting abbreviations for the love of the gods

Collapse -
XBOX 360 loud noise
by buddyAsh / December 14, 2008 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Two things

i am sorry about that. i am new to this. Thanks for letting me know.
i put the post in this thread, because it is the same problem i have, i have no idea how this works. anyways thanks for the decent reply.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.