TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

XBOX 360 HD-DVD Player Connectivity Help

by tbrenna8 / May 20, 2007 2:59 AM PDT

I've recently purchased Sony's 60 inch SXRD (KDS60A2020), and I currently own an XBOX 360 (unfortunately not the elite). I have two choices, either connect the external HD-DVD player via component cables, and accept 1080i or 720p resolution, or connect it via a VGA cable, and potentially get 1080p resolution, but at a reduced screen size. Can anyone please give me some advice on this issue. I'd really like to experience 1080p on my new TV, but do not want to spend the money for a blu-ray or HD-DVD stand alone player. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XBOX 360 HD-DVD Player Connectivity Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XBOX 360 HD-DVD Player Connectivity Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mad8475 / May 20, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

It depends on ur screen size, the 1080p wont make much difference with a smaller set then i think around 70in...but i i would rather go with the larger screen anyway...because it feels better

Collapse -
V.G.A. ??????????????????????
by stewart norrie / May 20, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

H.D.M.I from X-box to t.v. and optical audio from X-b0x to amp YESS 1080P eyepopping where do you come up with v.g.a.? I own the stand alonge sony blue ray player hooked up this and its awsome but there is no v.g.a. stewee

Collapse -
sorry got to let you know
by gagit811 / May 20, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

Im sorry to inform you, but the KDS60A2020 will not take a 1080p signal through the vga input. the best resolution it can take from the vga input is 1360x768. with just the 360 prem is you are stuck at 1080i with component (still good). I know your feeling, I have the KDS-60A2000. I had to upgrade to the elite to get 1080p through hdmi. i also have the hd dvd add on drive, witch makes it a good investment. Hey you spent the cash on a 60'' 1080p Tv, you may as well get a PS3 or elite to give your tv what it wants ture a true 1080p signal.

Collapse -
by bevillan / May 21, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I have a SXRD and the 360 HD-DVD add-on player and you are basically forced to use component and not VGA. First off, Sony is phasing out VGA support and you are right, VGA doesn't fill the whole screen. That right there is a deal breaker. Use component and set your 360 to 1080i, then let your SXRD deinterlace the signal to 1080p without any worries.

Collapse -
by tbrenna8 / May 21, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Component

How does the picture quality compare between the HD-DVD add on (connected via component) and a quality upconverting DVD player connected via HDMI? Basically, is it worth the price to buy the HD-DVD drive if I can't connect via HDMI? I'd like to experience true 1080p, but in the most economical way. Thanks!

Collapse -
DVD upconvert
by bevillan / May 21, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

If you want to upconvert DVDs to whatever HD resolution you want, I would suggest getting a $100-$150 player that upconverts up to 1080i via HDMI and let your SXRD deinterlace it to 1080p. There is a nice Sony one available that is $120, I have it and like it alot.

You can't upconvert regular DVDs on the HD-DVD player, unfortunately.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by tbrenna8 / May 21, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD upconvert

So, I take it the Sony's deinterlacing is a little better than having an upconverter that upconverts directly to 1080p? Any reason for that? Thanks again!

Collapse -
by bevillan / May 21, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again

There is a big difference in the interpolating calculations that a upconverter does between simply deinterlacing (i.e. 1080i to 1080p) and upconverting and deinterlacing (i.e. 480p to 1080p). Deinterlacing takes alot less effort on part of the video processor so trusting your SXRD to do that efficiently is fine and there is no need to spent extra money to get a DVD player that upconverts to 1080p instead of 1080i as the max.

Collapse -
Makes sense
by tbrenna8 / May 21, 2007 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

Thanks! Last question. How does the picture quality compare between your XBOX HD-DVD drive and the Sony upconverting DVD player that you are using? Is it worth spending the money for the HD-DVD drive? Thanks again!

Collapse -
it varies
by bevillan / May 22, 2007 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes sense

On more modern DVDs that are made well they look almost like HD pictures when displayed on my SXRD via the Sony DVD player. Most people would be very pleased with the PQ that DVDs have on quality upconverting DVD players like the Sony. However, older DVDs that got poor to mediocre video transfers look not so good when upconverted.

The HD-DVD add-on performs well and HD-DVDs look great. I finally got a HD-DVD with DD TrueHD and the sound is really where HD-DVD shines over DVD. Less sound compression on HD-DVD equals better sound. Video looks better than HD content on cable/satellite.

Basically for $200, I would get it. It is a great HD player placeholder until the standalone HD players come down in price or a clean cut winner is crowned in the format war.

Collapse -
by tbrenna8 / May 22, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: it varies

Yeah, I heard the sound can be truly amazing with some of the new formats. I don't have a top of the line surround sound system though, so unfortunately I'm not sure how much I will actually benefit. I might still invest in the HD-DVD add-on. Thanks very much for all of your insight. It has been truly helpful.

Collapse -
I think the hd-dvd xbox 360 add on is a good investment
by vjt110 / May 23, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Other than sound, where you would really notice the difference between upconverting dvd players and the 360 hd-dvd is the spectrum of colors. I own a Sharp 1080p with a 10,000:1 contrast ratio and the hd-dvd through component really is amazing. I am also very seriously considering getting a PS3 for only BluRay exclusive movies. Wonder if there would be a difference between 1080i hd-dvd on Xbox through component and 1080p on PS3 through HDMI? I know the tv will automatically convert the 360's interlaced imagery to progressive. But what about color differnce when compared to a PS3 through HDMI?
How much better?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.