Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

XBox 360 Elite DVD playback

by sacdiggler / April 2, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

now that the elite 360 will have an HDMI output, does that mean that its internal DVD player will be able to 'upconvert' dvds to a higher resolution? thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XBox 360 Elite DVD playback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XBox 360 Elite DVD playback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bevillan / April 3, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

I read on IGN that the Elite will be able to upconvert DVDs via HDMI.

Collapse -
Got a link?
by bkchurch / April 3, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: yep

That's awsome, if it does a good job then I won't have to spend $150 on an Oppo.

Collapse -
No more than other Xbox 360s
by jackson dougless / April 3, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

You don't need HDMI when you have component video. The only thing you gain from HDMI, aside from a single cable for audio and video, is access to the 1080p resolution. With component, it's limited to 1080i due to lack of DRM garbage built in.

And while I'm far from an expert, I don't think the 360 will upconvert anything. If you have a HD-DVD movie, you could play it back at 1080 resolutions, but I don't think it will take a standard DVD and upconvert the video to higher resolutions.

Collapse -
Upconverts through VGA
by navsimpson / April 4, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

For now, the 360 can only upconvert a signal through VGA. I'm not yet sure about HDMI, but there has been no mention of upconversion to 1080p that I have seen.

I would go with the Oppo - from everything I've seen with my own 360 and read, MS's machine isn't a terribly good DVD player. The Oppo will give you much better picture quality.

Collapse -
If it upconverts through VGA
by bkchurch / April 5, 2007 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Upconverts through VGA

Then it will definitely upconvert through HDMI.

Collapse -
Some non-official confirmation here
by navsimpson / April 5, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
by apmastersite 5000 / April 5, 2007 2:20 PM PDT

The 360 Elite will and can definitely upconvert DVD's through HDMI, to tell you the truth, you can see the video pixels on a 42+ screen when playing a DVD. That is why we have Blu-ray and HD-DVD to provide better resolution. Upconverting is just necessary to maintain DVD quality on bigger screens.

Collapse -
Then I'd say
by bkchurch / April 5, 2007 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Definitely

You've never seen a high quality upconverting DVD player in action then, watch a high quality DVD using an Oppo or a Denon upconverting DVD player hooked up to a nice HDTV or high-def projector (not a piece of crap Olevia or Vizio or something, a nice Samsung or Sony).

Collapse -
Upconvertin DVDs through the Xbox 360 Elite
by dhjellen / October 17, 2007 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Then I'd say

My Xbox 360 elite seems to be able to upconvert all its signals that are output through its HDMI (including standard DVDs). It can do this up to resolution of 1080p.

Here is why I say this: I have a home theater projector (the Panasonic PT-AX200U) that displays the resolution of the image it is currently receiving. When I set the output of the Xbox 360 Elite to be at 1080p and play a DVD (using the Xbox and watching it on my projector screen), then the display on my projector says it is receiving a 1080p signal. So, either the projector is broken or the xbox 360 elite is able to upconvert images to 1080p via its HDMI port.

Note: I have tried this for pictures and movies streeming from my PC as well and in every case the projector says it is receiving a 1080p resolution image.

I hope this helps clear this issue up.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.