Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Xbox 360 data transfer

by ATLiens / July 1, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

I have a Halo 3 edition Xbox 360 that is acting up, I think I might get RRoD soon. I want to purchase a new one but I want to keep all my gamesaves and purchased videos and such and install into the new 360. Does anyone know what I need to do this? Please advise.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xbox 360 data transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xbox 360 data transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably the easiest way
by Jimmy Greystone / July 2, 2009 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Xbox 360 data transfer

Probably the easiest way is to just buy a memory card and transfer things to it. The videos might be a bit difficult though, and you might just be SOL on that one. I'd check the Xbox website FAQ to see if there's any suggestions on how to do this. I'm guessing, knowing Microsoft, that the answer is going to be basically, "Too bad."

There are some third party attachments that will let your store data from your 360 onto your computer, but I can't say how they would affect the warranty on any new unit you may buy.

I do share in your pain. I'm preparing to ship my 360 back to Microsoft since the optical drive is on its last legs. It can take me over a half hour of opening and closing the tray before I can FINALLY get it to recognize there's a game disc in the drive. It's a real shame that out of the current gen of consoles, the 360 has the bulk of the games I want to play, because Microsoft has continually screwed up the hardware end of things with the 360. RRoD, loud optical drives, optical drives that scratch discs, overheating video chips, optical drives that give out in under a year, the E74 issue... You can do absolutely everything right, baby the system to no end, and it will still crap out on you.

Collapse -
Saving your data
by wthilo / July 2, 2009 6:53 AM PDT

You actually don't have to do anything. The RRoD only affects the system, not the hard drive. I recommend buying an Arcade system and taking your exisiting hard drive and using that on it. You will save a hundred dollars and your data. Another option is to order from Microsoft the transfer cable (I believe it is free) to transfer your data from your current hard drive to the new system's hard drive, assuming you opt to purchase a Pro or Elite that comes with a hard drive.

Collapse -
Not with the Pro
by Jimmy Greystone / July 2, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Saving your data

That cable doesn't come with the Pro, I can tell you that. I bought one less than a year ago, and I got the console, power brick, the wireless controller, and a headset. It might come with the Elite, but it doesn't come with the Pro.

Collapse -
XBOX Transfer
by pedrojim / July 3, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

Hey ATLiens, here's all you have to do. Register your console on XBOX'S web site. Purchase your new one, any model is fine. Register your new console. On the same site is a request form for a transfer kit. Print and fill out the form and send it in. Microsoft will send you one free of charge. It's fairly simple to do the transfer. You will receive a disc and a cable. The cable connects both consoles, turn on and insert disc. It will tranfer everything automaticly. By the way I've had the Halo Edition for a year and 8 months with no problems. It's also quieter than my new RE5 Elite Edition. You've got me worried. Good luck, Jim

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.