Download.com Site Feedback

Alert

WYO Inventory Software Scam

by hhdawrs / January 15, 2013 3:29 AM PST

WYO was a free home inventory program given the top rating by CNet. Many thousands downloaded it. CNet still loves it.

WYO sent an email to all users to update to version 4.19. Clicking the link locks and hides the user's own computer inventory files. I can no longer access work started in Nov. 2011.

WYO says my computer data is not lost. All i Need to do is send them $39.99 and they will send me an unlock code.

Beware of this brazenly fraudulently company.

Hey CNet, why the delay in changing your cozyness with WYO?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WYO Inventory Software Scam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WYO Inventory Software Scam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see it's not for download today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 6:11 AM PST

How does it make them cozy?

Collapse -
WYO
by hhdawrs / January 17, 2013 4:23 AM PST

My sarcastic way of wondering why CNet continues to rate WYO so highly.

I believe high praise of the product implies the same for the supplier.

If WYO company is justified in locking users' personal computer data without any warning, would you let us know your reasoning?

Collapse -
From what I see you can rate it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: WYO

Users can rate most things. See if this allows it.

Many of those reviews/ratings are out dated. We all wish they had the time and staff to re-review all of them but for now, look to see if you can rate it. (I have your rating and rattling here!)
Bob

Collapse -
WYO
by hhdawrs / January 17, 2013 3:09 PM PST

I think I've had my say and am done with WYO. If something new happens with them, I'd appreciate a heads up.

I enjoyed our back and forth, as many seem to get nasty very fast.

Nice meeting you, and goodbye for now.
Herb

Collapse -
WYO
by demckaig / February 11, 2015 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: WYO

I paid the $24.99 in July, 2014 through my PayPal account to get back access to my home inventory data. The support agreement was supposed to last for 1 year renewable til cancelled in July, 2015. I just got a notice from PayPal that I authorized another $24.99 payment on February 6, 2015 which is 6 months early for the renew date. Watch out people! I will post the results of my unauthorized PayPal experience with WYO when it is resolved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.