Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wrong CD?

by YogiBJ / June 6, 2004 7:25 PM PDT

A few days ago seeing as I was having a few niggling little problems, I entered the command prompt >SFC/scannow< Up pops the message to insert my XP CD-ROM, which I done and then got the message > Windows File Protection. The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive<
Seeing as it was me that installed XP, and I only have one CD-ROM, then I cannot understand this message. Nobody else has access to the computer. Just for curiosity, I tried putting in the SP1 CD but got the same message.
I clicked on the 'More Information' button and the message read > Possible reasons for this problem:
* You have inserted the wrong CD (i.e. a different Windows product CD than the version installed.
* The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning. <

This has got me thinking, most of the niggling little problems mentioned earlier seem to have started shortly after installing a DVD drive, namely a BTC DVD R/RW Model 10041M.
It does appear to be working alright though one major problem with it is that every time I tried to play a DVD (film) the computer crashed, Power DVD was supplied with the DVD and every time I clicked on a button, no matter what it was for, the blue screen appeared. It plays magazine DVD's without any trouble at all. After long discussions, by e-mail, with BTC it was decided that maybe the Power DVD CD was a bad one and they are sending me a replacement. I uninstalled the programme and went looking for a freebie just to se what happened, settling for Cliprex DS DVD Player. This plays films without any bother.
I have explained all this in case there is a connection.

The only other thing I can tell you is that on the very first splash screen there is a note that reads > Secondary IDE Channel no 80 Conductor Cable installed<. No one I have spoken to seems to know what that means though they all have the same opinion, that it would not cause any of the problems described.

At present the only cure I can think of is a complete reinstall, I'm hoping somebody will tell me otherwise.

Windows XP Home (and SP1)
ASUS A7V8X-MX Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
256 MB RAM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wrong CD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wrong CD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wrong CD?
by Cetin Denislam / June 6, 2004 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong CD?

>>on the very first splash screen there is a note that reads > Secondary IDE Channel no 80 Conductor Cable installed<. No one I have spoken to seems to know what that means though they all have the same opinion, that it would not cause any of the problems described. <<

It was interesting knowing to whom you asked for this one. That message is displayed during BIOS Post and it means that you have a 40-conductor cable on the secondary IDE channel. So, change it with a good 80-conductor cable. As if it has a correlation with your BTC device, if it's installed on secondary IDE it might.

Now, before or after the cable change, let's see what letter SFC procedure looks for the windows XP files.

1. Launch regedit (click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter) and expand the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

In the right pane right look for SourcePath. It could be d:\ or e:\ etc depending what was its initial letter. Anyway, the point is that should be identical with your actual letter for your BTC. If it's not, change it accordingly.

Example: BTC is drive T:. So, you should change the SourcePath to t:\.

2. If #1 doesn't work, could be a hardware problem (errors during reading the files from BTC). Try to copy the i386 folder from the windows XP CD kit to hard disk, let's say on C.

Note

You need approximately 0.5 GB free space

Perform #1 and change SourcePath to c:\. Try to run SFC again.

This way, you'll split the problem and depending of what's happening will have additional clues for what's wrong.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Wrong CD?
by jabarrios / June 15, 2004 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong CD?

My nephew experienced some conflicts with a simular situation. He was getting Application Exeception kind of error messages when he tried to play commerical DVD movies. He had a couple of Video editing S/W packages and this was the only problem/symtom he'd get. Huge hours with Dell support didn't give him any resolution. He re-installed XP and it still occurred. I was talking to a friend who'd gone to a Microshaft seminar. There he was told about XP Service Pack 2.(YES, TWO !! - Yet to be offically released)

We tried it and magically all problems/conflicts disappeared.

"It cann't hurt" - Its buried at Microsoft's Tech forum - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9BE921B3-585E-47D9-BCC1-980879B69B34&displaylang=en

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.