Peripherals forum

General discussion

Would you help me with my quick survey on photo printers?

by Lg626 / May 19, 2006 2:18 AM PDT

I am making a research on photo printers and would like to have your opinion on the following questions:
1. How old are you?

2. How often do you use your photo printer?

3. What keeps you from printing more pictures?

4. Why does it seem that we print less pictures with photo printers than when we used to have to get a roll of film processed?

5. Do you use your photo printer for personal use or professional use?

6. Do you take pictures from a digital camera or from your cell phone?

7. Do you carry your photo printer around, if so for what purpose? If not, would you see an advantage in having a transportable photo printer?

8. Where would you want to have your photo printer at home for it to be more convenient?

9. Would you see your photo printer residing in the kitchen or living room or as you walked into the house to print the pictures you took that day?

10. What feature is missing on your photo printer?

11. How would your perfect photo printer look like?

12. Except printing picture, what else would you like to print on your photo printer?

Thanks for your time and big help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would you help me with my quick survey on photo printers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would you help me with my quick survey on photo printers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've had many printers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 2:39 AM PDT

From Epson, Canon and now a HP k550. I went with that since I grew tired of so-so paper handling. It wasn't that expensive either.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Printer Survey
by vikpaul / May 25, 2006 7:39 PM PDT

2. Everyday
3.The high cost of ink
4.I can pick the best one's to print
5.Personal use
6.Digital
7.No
8.It's fine where it is at the moment(Home office)
9.No
10.None
11. Like the one I have now (Epson Stylus Photo R300)
12.Nothing, my printer prints everything I need.

I hope this helps, Good luck with the Survey.

Collapse -
Photo Printers
by johnkirch / May 25, 2006 9:00 PM PDT

1. 68
2. Daily

3. Ink cost

4. Don't print the bad ones

5. Personal

6. Digital camera

7. Not likely to carry Epson 2400, Np reason for portable.

8. Office area is fine
9. No - usually use Photoshop to enhance pictures
10. nothing I need
11. Capable of large format
12. If ink weren't so expensive: Newsletter, correspondence, etc. Now use older HP 2200 for these functions

Collapse -
Printer survey
by dbaxter7 / May 25, 2006 9:38 PM PDT

1. How old are you?

Twice a month

No point in printing crappy pictures. About 1 out of every 100 I take is worthy of printing. I'm a bit particular about things Happy

4. Why does it seem that we print less pictures with photo printers than when we used to have to get a roll of film processed?
Because now you have a choice of what to print, whereas with film, you get the good, the bad and the ugly, whether you want them or not.

Personal mostly, some professional.

Digital Camera, you're kidding about the cell phone thing right?

7. Do you carry your photo printer around, if so for what purpose? If not, would you see an advantage in having a transportable photo printer?
No. None whatsoever.

8. Where would you want to have your photo printer at home for it to be more convenient?
I keep mine in my home office. I never print directly from the camera or the card, even though I have the ability, because I like to download them to my PC and tinker with exposure, etc.

9. Would you see your photo printer residing in the kitchen or living room or as you walked into the house to print the pictures you took that day?
Nope.

None that I can think of. I have a Canon Pixma IP6600D that prints great colors, and the ink is less expensive than HP or Epson. I have used Epson in the past and been very happy with them as well.

Collapse -
Photo survey
by Slasher / May 25, 2006 9:45 PM PDT

1. How old are you?
16 (my parents printer, but I use it and helped pick it out)

For photos - not often maybe 5 photos a month.

We only print the ones we really like

Well for us, it's because we can choose which ones to print. We don't print ones that are the sam eor bad ones.

Personal

Digital camera

Um...this thing isn't transportable. It's a beast (with scanner on it)

It's connected directly to the PC

As I said, we don't print many.

Well it would be good if I could crop the pictures without having to put the pictures onto the computer.

If it were purly for printing photos, It would only be wide enough for photo paper (the small paper) and it would have a preview screen

12. Except printing picture, what else would you like to print on your photo printer?
Normal documents

BTW do here to see my printer:
http://img.clubic.com/photo/00147712.jpg

Collapse -
Survey responses
by wfairley / May 25, 2006 10:24 PM PDT

1. Age: 42
2. I use my photo printer weekly, to print 5x7, 11x14, and 11x17 photos producing artwork and pictures of friends.
3. I would print more pictures if it cost less and the paper sizes I use were readily available.
4. With photo printers, I can select which photos I want to print, but with film processing, I can't make that choice without seeing the photos first.
5. I use my photo printers for personal and professional use.
6. I use my Canon digital SLR cameras.
7. I never carry my photo printers with me, but if I could, I might on occasion carry it to visit family and friends.
8. This question is difficult to answer, because it doesn't fit any context.
9. I keep my photo printers in a room together with my other computer equipment, not in the kitchen or living room.
10. So far, the only thing I use my photo printers for is to print photos, therefore there are no missing features.
11. My perfect photo printer would look like the Epson R1800, only a little bit bigger so I could print larger formats.
12. I would like to print mugs, shirts, and etch glass.

Collapse -
photo printer survey
by jrausch45 / May 25, 2006 10:37 PM PDT

1. 48

2. Several times a month

3. Cost, although we have started to use the slide show screen saver feature to look at photos on the computer.

4. I can choose just the best photos or those I want to send to family or friends.

5. personal

6. digital camera

7. No - canon pixma iP8500 is too large to carry around.

8. It's in the office - which works out great.

9. No

10. None - I love this printer

11. ?

12. I use this printer to do most of my printing. I do have an older HP for printing long documnets (cheaper ink)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Photo printer survey
by SpamFighter / May 25, 2006 11:32 PM PDT

1. How old are you? 49 (female)

2. How often do you use your photo printer? In spurts; sometimes several days in same week, sometimes several weeks between use.

3. What keeps you from printing more pictures? Cost of ink & it seems I am always out of ink when I need it most. I have an Epson 1280 & we're considering investing in a bulk ink continous flow system for it.

4. Why does it seem that we print less pictures with photo printers than when we used to have to get a roll of film processed? I probably print more than what I had developed on film! I take many more pictures with digital camera, because I know I can delete the bad ones and I don't have to worry about wasting film. I used to not be able to take good pictures - cut heads off, or too far away, or too far off center, etc. The display screen on the digital camera has changed all that, plus I can re-center and crop to make a so-so picture look perfect. Still, with all the pictures I take now, I find slide shows on DVD & VCD a much better solution and print the best as 8x10 od 11x14 for framing.

5. Do you use your photo printer for personal use or professional use? Mostly personal, but we also do custom T-shirts with professional quality inket transfer paper & heat press. Generations photos on t-shirts very popular for family reunions & kids photo t-shirts great for birthday parties.

6. Do you take pictures from a digital camera or from your cell phone? Obviously digital camera. For now, resolution available on cell phone not worth the investment. If I could have a camera on my cell phone that had as good or better resolution than my digital camera, wouldn't keep the batteries drained, & I wouldn't have to take out a second mortage to buy, it would be nice to have less gadgets to carry.

7. Do you carry your photo printer around, if so for what purpose? If not, would you see an advantage in having a transportable photo printer? Epson 1280 is wide format printer and definitely not portable. With the six-color ink, there is a noticeable difference in quality over all my other printers. Don't see much advantage of portable printer for now; I'd still need to haul around photo paper & ink and even the small photo printers are still too awkward to carry around.

8. Where would you want to have your photo printer at home for it to be more convenient? It is currently in a corner of the kitchen (kinda of home office corner) where it is centrally located in the house and available to all our computers - networked on a separate print server.

9. Would you see your photo printer residing in the kitchen or living room or as you walked into the house to print the pictures you took that day? My camera is an older one that doesn't connect directly to photo printers, & the printer I use to print photos doesn't connect directly to camera, so I have to upload to computer anyway. I may as well crop, fix red-eye, resize, correct color or brightness, etc., before printing or print album pictures 4 on a page (8x10) cheaper in the long run over the 4x6 individuals.

10. What feature is missing on your photo printer? It doesn't have the bulk ink attachment yet, but there are several available for this particular printer - Epson 1280 may be a few years old, but still highly recommended by those in transfer business. It even has an attachment for roll paper, but I've never used the rolls. Since I like to check over my pictures on computer before printing, I don't see much need for direct camera connect or viewing screen.

11. How would your perfect photo printer look like? I guess just like it does. If I ever considered a portable, it would need to fit in camera bag or fit neatly in laptop bag with my laptop.

12. Except printing picture, what else would you like to print on your photo printer? I already print most anything printable on this printer, however, I generally use an older HP printer for regular documents, not because the ink cartridges are cheaper, but because they are easier to refill - no chip on cartridges.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks!! It's great keep on answering it's a huge help!
by Lg626 / May 26, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Trend of Displaying Photos
by scottyat2 / May 26, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

Too many questions .... I don't have info as to what you really want...Sorry! But this is what I forsee
to become the new popular standard.

LCD Photo Frames and Albums.

You won't need to Develope or Print Photos.
Store the Images and Time Duration of your transitional photo or photo show.
Mobile Photo Albums.
Won't need to spend a Fortune on INK or Printing,
No worry about fading or quick destruction by smoke or fire.
Always able to re-edit, change, update, resize, etc:
of your favorite moments/memories.
It might be possible for a small Movie to be runned
such as Bride and Groom running down the Aisle or Exchange of wedding Bans/Rings and Kiss.
Possiblities are Limitless.

Collapse -
Would you help me with my quick survey on photo printers?
by geekyshirl / May 26, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

I am making a research on photo printers and would like to have your opinion on the following questions:
1. How old are you? 50+

2. How often do you use your photo printer? Once or tice a month

3. What keeps you from printing more pictures? Cost of supplies

4. Why does it seem that we print less pictures with photo printers than when we used to have to get a roll of film processed? Well, with a roll of film you had to get the whole roll printed; whereas with digital pics you can pick only the pics you want.

5. Do you use your photo printer for personal use or professional use? Personal use

6. Do you take pictures from a digital camera or from your cell phone? digital camera

7. Do you carry your photo printer around, if so for what purpose? If not, would you see an advantage in having a transportable photo printer? Yes, to print anywhere and share pics with friends that I travel with.

8. Where would you want to have your photo printer at home for it to be more convenient? On my computer desk

9. Would you see your photo printer residing in the kitchen or living room or as you walked into the house to print the pictures you took that day? Neither, I like it at my computer desk

10. What feature is missing on your photo printer? The ability to print larger pics

11. How would your perfect photo printer look like? Just like my HP Photosmart 335 Compact Photo Printer.

12. Except printing picture, what else would you like to print on your photo printer? Nothing really

Collapse -
Photo Printers survey
by Barbara92021 / May 26, 2006 5:30 AM PDT

1. How old are you?

Some weeks I use my all-in-one, as often as everyday. Other weeks, it may sit dormant all week.

The cost of printer inks.

I think it is because with digital cameras, we can print only the ones we want, file the others away or delete them right off the camera before uploading to our computer. When getting a roll of film developed, every picture was developed and some of those pics were very ugly!!!

Personal

Digital camera

No, it's part of my Epson Stylus CX4800 and that is not portable.

I like it where it is - to my left when I am on the computer and very easily accessed for all things: scanning, printing, uploading pics from the camera.

No, I have a computer room.

None that I can think of.

Like it is now!

I print out everything on my printer.

Collapse -
survey on printers
by chatnurs / May 26, 2006 10:44 AM PDT

1. 33
2. at least once a week
3. ink consuption
4. because of ink costs
5. personal use
6. digital camera
7. a portable would be great, dont have one
8. with my pc
9. lounge room
10. memry card
11. like a canon pixma mp 110
12. dates, names locations, time & date

tazman_94 (scott)

Collapse -
Not that quick survey on photo printers
by don509 / May 26, 2006 11:19 AM PDT

1. How old are you? 50

2. How often do you use your photo printer? Depends on my camera usage. Every day for a few days, followed by nothing but text followed by another burst.

3. What keeps you from printing more pictures? Lack of decent content- my fault.

4. Why does it seem that we print less pictures with photo printers than when we used to have to get a roll of film processed? see #3.

5. Do you use your photo printer for personal use or professional use? Both, but primarily personal.

6. Do you take pictures from a digital camera or from your cell phone? Digital SLR.

7. Do you carry your photo printer around, if so for what purpose? If not, would you see an advantage in having a transportable photo printer? Can't carry it, and the advantage is not compelling. Don't want to carry around paper and inks too.

8. Where would you want to have your photo printer at home for it to be more convenient? Next to my PC.

9. Would you see your photo printer residing in the kitchen or living room or as you walked into the house to print the pictures you took that day? Please. I live in a tiny 1 bedroom New York City apt. It's in my main room, as opposed to the closet that is my bedroom. Let's not talk about a den or office unless you know tonight's Mega Million numbers.

10. What feature is missing on your photo printer? none

11. How would your perfect photo printer look like? I'm happy with my Canon Pixma 8500. Smaller would be better, but it isn't a deal breaker.

12. Except printing picture, what else would you like to print on your photo printer? I print text. I print airline boarding passes. I print mapquest maps when I'm taking a car trip.

Collapse -
I do carry mine occasionally
by dadroth / May 26, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

1. How old are you?

More for text, for photos, at least monthly. During the school year I teach one or two photo courses then they (2) get more use.

As the others have said, why print poor shots? Also, my family is spread around so they get them via email and after a visit either a file transfer before I leave or a CD via snail mail.

see above.

Primarily for personal.

Why print poor shots.

I do carry it around some. It fits in a carry on bag for protection and ease of handling. The camera makers have them, I have used Kodak's good quality, limited size and today higher per print cost.

Right where it is. Occasionally print to it over the wireless network for text files.

No.

They will come up with something, but right now on one of them I can even stick the card right into the printer, but prefer to edit on the computer.

Form has to follow function. I'd like a wider format in a smaller case at a lower price point.

I do not think I'm ready for a dedicated photo printer, though mine are somewhat as I use a monochrome laser for newsletters and manuals etc.

Now we have taken our time, how about telling us the purpose of the survey.

Collapse -
I hope it is not for commercial use!
by shafiqkhan31 / May 27, 2006 1:28 AM PDT

1.I am 70+
2. Often.
3.I can share and record in so many more ways than I did before.
4. We had very limited ways to share other than wet printing.
5. Personal use.
6. Digital cameras.
7. For me one at home is enough.
8. Anywhere out of harms way.
9. Any where in the house on a stable base.
10. Speedy results.
11. Smaller with high defination.
12. text and photos.
Enslaved by Epson though not the best, they provide human tontact when I face trouble.
Shafiq UK

Collapse -
survey answers
by albizzia / May 27, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

1 how old? 49

2 how often? When needed. approx. 30 pages a month.

3 why not more prints? No need. Can view on monitor.

4 why less digital prints than film? because all photos on film are printed, good or not, but only desired digital photos get printed.

5 personal or professional use? Both.

6 digital camera or cell phone? Camera. My phone dosn't take pictures.

7 carry a photo printer? no, not portable. Portable printers are more expensive and slower.

8 Where to put printer? near computer.

9 printer in living room or kitchen? No, computer and printer are in home office area.

10 missing feature? Doesn't have slot for SD media, cannot print directly from camera (don't really need that feature)

11 Perfect photo printer? Compact, easy to load papers, can print from wallet size up to 8.5" x 11" or larger, great print quality, slots for digital media.

12 what else to print? Documents, letters, drawings, artwork, etc.

Collapse -
For once, I feel normal
by SpamFighter / May 29, 2006 10:15 PM PDT

I don't know what this survey is for, but I find it interesting to see how similar so many of the answers are. When I see adds & articles about digital photography & photo printing, I think I'm an oddball, because I do things differently (like uploading, editing, cropping, etc. instead of printing directly from camera). But now I think the advertisers & promoters have it all wrong and the people who spend real money on digital photography are very much like me!

Collapse -
Yes, but the real money used to go to processing
by dadroth / May 30, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

Whether to a lab or on chemicles and paper, the on going profits of Kodak were not based on cameras, from the original day of the one dollar Brownie. Who said Gillette invenmted the idea of giving the device to get the expendable business? Does anybody reading this know who was first with the idea?

Kodak is trying to roll that hoop a little further with their printer dock. They are easy to print 4X6s from, but I find them klutzy uploading to the computer. No upload, no permenant file (like a negative).

It is a dye sub process, nice output; proprietary (at least for now) expendables. At 29 cents a print, they are competing against themselves and every lab in drug stores and discount stores who sometimes price 4X6 prints at less than 15 cents.

Collapse -
375 plus responses at ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2006 2:29 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.