Computer Help forum

Question

Would this setup work or break? Please respond 3:

by BlueTigerxD / February 15, 2013 1:19 PM PST

I have a Dell inspiron 519. It is all factory parts except for the power supply and graphics card, forgot power supply but graphics card is Radeon 6570 HD. Wanting to get an intel i3 for gaming, because my current processor is bottlenecking graphics card ( I think..?) My motherboard only has AM2 sockets available, so I'm getting a new one of that also. I was thinking of getting a
Intel DH67BL Intel H67 Socket 1155 mATX Motherboard w/HDMI, DVI, eSATA & GbLAN because it is cheap ($65) and using it with the intel i3 3.4 ghz processor. Is this compatible, do I need anything else? Going to purchase it tommorow, I'm a noob with computers, but I think it's compatible.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would this setup work or break? Please respond 3:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would this setup work or break? Please respond 3:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Work or break
by bob b / February 15, 2013 10:11 PM PST

It looks like the cpu and the mobo are a match.

Ram?
Planning on using the Dell supplied OS?

Collapse -
RAM/OS
by BlueTigerxD / February 16, 2013 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Work or break

Planning on just getting 2 2 gigs of RAM at Best Buy when I go in an hour. As for the OS, I'm just going to use windows Vista 64 bit that I'm using now? Keeping hard drive xD

Collapse -
Ram is ram.......not
by bob b / February 16, 2013 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: RAM/OS

Since you want to game what you want is a kit..... 2x4GB@1333.

As for the OS, I'm just going to use windows Vista 64 bit that I'm using now?
-----------------
Assuming that's the OS that came from Dell.
Notta wok.
The copy of Windows that Dell supplied is locked to the original machine.
If somehow you can get it to boot your going to get a Nasty-gram from Msft saying your a crook.

Your looking at buying a new OS.

Collapse -
Some of the Dell cases ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2013 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: RAM/OS

are proprietary so check that the motherboard stand-offs on the case match the motherboard you plan on getting.

An OEM Operating System (the one that came installed on the Dell) LICENSE is locked to the motherboard of the system. While you may be able to install the OS it will be considered pirated and subject to a $10,000 fine. The exception would be if the OEM motherboard was damaged and the replacement motherboard was the same EXACT type or the manufacturer's replacement board for a discontinued motherboard (for an AMD CPU since that is what the system came with).

You can either get a retail version of whatever OS you want or you can get a cheaper OEM version but you will be your own support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.