Computer Newbies

General discussion

Would installing Windows Defender cause conflict w/these??

by tom4561 / January 9, 2007 3:46 AM PST

I have WinXP HomeSP2 with the following applications:
AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 paid edition-realtime protection I think.
Webroot Spysweeper 5.2 paid edition-realtime protection.
AdAware SE Personal 1.06-free edition.
Spyware Blaster-free edition.
Would there be any conflict(I have IE7). Would you advise it? Tom.
I also have Norton Internet Security 2007.(has anti-spyware feature).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would installing Windows Defender cause conflict w/these??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would installing Windows Defender cause conflict w/these??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Suggest NOT Doing so...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 9, 2007 9:13 AM PST

Windows Defender will add nothing to the group of utilities you already have and because it can also run "real time" in the background, it might cause issues with the other programs..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Grif.
by tom4561 / January 10, 2007 12:46 AM PST
Collapse -
You are BIASED...
by Ryo Hazuki / January 16, 2007 11:47 PM PST

Windows Defender *will* add more security protection to the group of utilities he already has, as no anti-spyware utility catches everything and it's very unlikely the ones he has catch everything Windows Defender catches, and the fact it can also run "real time" in the background, which means improved protection for him, doesn't cause any issues with the other programs because I use the exact same utilities all at the same time with no issues whatsoever.

Hope you inform yourself better before you give bad advices to people just because you are a Moderator and Windows Defender comes from Microsoft (and happens to have many good reviews).

Collapse -
We Are ALL Biased...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: You are BIASED...

You as well. That's what an "opinion" is all about. We all base our opinions on the experiences we've had with the programs mentioned. As long as your opinions on the "Newbies" forum are civil and you can refrain from personal attacks on users who have different "opinions" than yourself, your posts are welcomed. Please respect others as you would have yourself respected....or your posts will be removed.

Let's look again at the original post.. "Tom4561" currently has FIVE spyware removal tools on the machine with AT LEAST 3 of them running real time. Here's that list again..:

AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 paid edition-realtime protection I think.
Webroot Spysweeper 5.2 paid edition-realtime protection.
AdAware SE Personal 1.06-free edition.
Spyware Blaster-free edition.
I also have Norton Internet Security 2007.(has anti-spyware feature).

I have used all of the tools above AS WELL AS Windows Defender.. In fact, I currently have Windows Defender on the machine I am using at this moment.. I cleanup infected computers as part of my business and I actually use Windows Defender on occasion to perform that service. I also use lots of other tools to clean up those systems and I usually use four or five different tools on the same machine to double check thier results.. In all recent cases, where programs such as SpySweeper, AVG's Antispyware, TrojanHunter, etc are used first, I find NOTHING if Windows Defender is used last. And despite all those other programs having the ability to detect unwanted cookies, unfortunately, Microsoft left out that ability as well..Hmmm

That said, both Spyware Blaster and Webroot's SpySweeper frequently have problems when installed with other "real time" antispyware programs. I've seen and had experience with such problems and as a result, I've had to clean up computers that weren't working correctly when more than one antispyware program was running . It's great that your ONE particular computer is working fine with a similar configuration, but that doesn't mean most machines will work that way. In addition, you might want to read about the various spyware programs that Windows Defender/Microsoft has decided NOT to detect because of political reasons. If you read those reviews you've mentioned, you will find that most indicate that almost any of the other antispyware tools are better.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I recommend yes. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 9, 2007 7:25 PM PST

I run AdAware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster. And Defender. I did a test a short while back after some surfing. Even though I practice safe surfing, some minor things always seem to crop up. I ran all these programs to search my PC and they all found something different. These four are part of my "Anti-Spyware Suite".

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the reply.
by tom4561 / January 10, 2007 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: I recommend yes. . .
Collapse -
I'm having good luck with it
by shyrae1 / January 11, 2007 8:34 PM PST

I run XP2, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, McAfee Virus and I have had no conflicts with any of the programs I have used. I would recommend it.

Collapse -
CyberDefender & McAffee
by medangit / January 12, 2007 12:10 AM PST

Got a new PC for the family Christmas. Brought McAffee Security Center with me from the old one. We also switched to a wireless connection. (Which for us country bumkins is very cool!) And BAM! right away we got hijacked by some fake web site selling security software. Did some research and found "CyberDefender w/ toolbar" and got all cleaned and shiney. But I was a bit suprised at the things that were in my PC. Sometimes it's like having another child...I have to watch it all the time. But so far I'm very happy with the "Defender", hopefully I'm not being decieved. Anyone's opinions and/or experiences would be appreciated!

Collapse -
concerning CyberDefender
by saleh.2201 / January 12, 2007 9:40 AM PST

I recently tried CyberDefender and it really screwed up my computer. The Spywarewarrior site has just recently took it off the "bad" list. If you run Spybot Search & Destroy, you will find 30 to 40 entries as spyware and data collecters associated with this program I quickly uninstalled (good luck with that, also).I had to completly redo all firewall permissions after uninstall. BEWARE!!!

Collapse -
I don't have a conflict
by rccoffee / January 12, 2007 3:41 AM PST

My OS is Win XP/Home and I have 1) Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Plus with Ad-Watch (paid), 2) Norton Internet Security 2006 with Antispyware (paid), 3) Webroot Spy Sweeper (paid), 4) MS Windows Defender(free) and 5) Bill P. Studios Win Patrol (free).

I have no conflict between any of these programs. NIS 2006 with Antispyware demanded that I uninstall Spybot S& D which I did.

The only problem that I have had is that MS Windows Defender is updated via MS Windows Update while I can check and download all the other programs manually. MS Windows Defender has never found anything and, frankly, I'm not sure that it is even effective. It just makes me "feel" safer. Perhaps CNET has tested Windows Defender and you/we could find out just how effective it is. I started out with MS Windows Anti-spyware (Beta).

Collapse -
Defender sleeping on the job?
by sandrachupka / January 12, 2007 9:43 AM PST

I also manually update a lot of my programs but Defender seems to find a lot of things to gripe about --- doesnt like anything in its territory, as a matter of fact, creeping in ... it always is asking me what to do with an update or change .. I think it is a matter of your settings .. I dont let anything fly ... hahah! I like making my own decisions as to what is allowed and not ... I am not too sure about the AntiMalware Windows has .. it never finds anything but I keep my system clean and run my anti's all the time.

Collapse -
Running Windows Defender
by Bkess / January 12, 2007 5:07 AM PST

I use Windows Defender along with free versions of AVG, Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware and SpyBot and have had no problems. I added Defender because it runs 'realtime' in the background whereas Ad-Aware and Spybot only run when executed manually. I must admit that I've never had any indication that Defender is accomplishing anything but, as one of the other responders has said, it makes me feel good knowing its there!

Collapse -
so far no
by sandrachupka / January 12, 2007 9:39 AM PST

I have basically the same anti software you do and have run Windows Defender for quite a while now with no problems or mishaps. I have also tried it with other popular anti software -- spyblaster, soyware doc, norton, mcafee, AdAware, etc etc and have no problems with any so far

Collapse -
Defender has been added into MS OneCare
by intrepi / January 14, 2007 6:56 AM PST

I'd advise you to read reviews on OneCare at the Microsoft Onecare forum before installing it or buying into OneCare. If that doesn't convince you, take a read on it at PCMag. Personally, I tried it and although it will run with other software including Ad Aware, my question to you would be why would you want it to ? If I stood in the middle of a field with a fly swatter, would you hire me to protect the USA from killer bees ? I admit it is a poor comparison and a bit of an exaggeration but none the less, it's yet another ploy MS is setting up to get a foot in the door release of OneCare which is free to download and install. It has Defender included and both are free for you to try but getting rid of it might be a bigger undertaking than installing it. Read and heed !

Collapse -
what to use
by dr-claw / January 21, 2007 5:57 AM PST

i am using f-secure antivirus 2007, spyware doctor (pctools) and
spywareblaster (javacool). i have just added the spyware blaster
and there seems to be no problems. i like the f-secure and pctools
spyware doctor as they both update daily and are both very easy to use.
i also am a beginner to pc`s about 8 months. the spyware blaster has a manual update or for a small donation to the site you can get automatic
updates. i have read many reviews and they all recommend spywareblster
(javacool)

Collapse -
No.
by Ryo Hazuki / January 17, 2007 12:03 AM PST

No, there wouldn't be any conflict (I use practically the same configuration and experience no issues). Yes, I'd avise it (and many reviews do too).

Collapse -
My Defender didn't like Norton 2006 - or vice versa
by saab 900 / January 21, 2007 9:19 AM PST

I have Norton 2006 anti virus, Windows Defender, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, Spyware Blaster, Adaware Se Personal and A squared Free. Last week Norton e mailed me with the offer of a free update to add features from Norton 2007 to my 2006 version. I decided to accept. First off Norton wished to validate my version much the way Microsoft does before offering updates. This required Active X. Straight away I got an error message referring me to Norton help desk, reply 48 hours! So I started looking at event logs here and there. In the Norton Log I found several clashes with Defender, so I turned Defender off. Still the Active X would not install. It kept looping. I would click accept, then seconds later the pc would again ask me to click accept and nothing was happening. Eventually I had to turn off ZoneLab's antispyware completely. Then Norton was allowed to proceed. So the different applications do seem to get in each other's way sometimes.
I used to have Spybot but it kept registering false positives for a particular spyware on my ZoneAlarm firewall so I uninstalled. I have also uninstalled one or two other applications in the past when they faied to detect what Adaware or ZoneLabs found. Defender has never detected anything on its morning scans. Adaware still finds cookies on its full scan that Zonelabs misses unless you run the very lengthy deep scan. More than one application is needed in my humble opinion before you can start to feel relatively secure. I often test two applications by running one until if finds something, then running another to see if it also finds the item.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.