Office & Productivity Software forum

Would a dtabase program help or some other type of software?

by djtebbz / December 4, 2012 3:15 AM PST

I work within the healthcare field and run weekly and monthly reports tracking a variety of data. As of now I run the reports and record them into an excel spread sheet and label each sheet by month. I not only create the main sheet but then generate more detailed excel sheets that pull data from the main monthly one. If I was to purchase a database program (like FileMaker Pro for example) would I be able to do this moor conveniently?

I was thinking that perhaps I could enter the original spread sheet each month then run my separate reports that pull information from the main spread sheet opposed to having to retype the data to fit the new excel sheets and graphs every month?

I hope that makes sense and that someone could be of assistance. I feel that there has to be a way to streamline these reports so I can get more detail at a faster rate and be able to clearly show the results with my corporate team. As I continue to pull data from more sources these reports become time consuming and consistently put me behind schedule. Thank you for your advice and assistance in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Would a dtabase program help or some other type of software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Would a dtabase program help or some other type of software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sounds like it might help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 3:36 AM PST

But are you also the programmer that will create this system? Sounds like you may need your company to create this for you. It's what companies do.

Collapse -
Regarding moor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 3:46 AM PST

The answer for that is a simple no. A database system is just the foundation and not a complete data entry and report system.

I rarely have to retype a thing if the data is in some spreadsheet. I can reference that or copy it to the next sheet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.