The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

woul you get the new ipod or the new zune

by girl_techie / September 21, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

The new ipod is larger than the zune, the zune can send music between each other. I wonder what you would call the mix of the ipod and zune, the izune or the zunepod?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: woul you get the new ipod or the new zune
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: woul you get the new ipod or the new zune
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ipod FTW
by dmdzine / September 21, 2007 11:12 PM PDT

ipod all the way.... (haven't you been listening to he podcast) the zune's music sharing capabilities are limited to other zunes, and are also totally crippled and useless (shared songs can only be played 3 times before they die and can't be played anymore) and it's squircle can't compare with the ipod's clickwheel. Plus, the zune comes in brown, which should be a warning. Go to http://hideapod.com for more convincing testimony

BTW you would call the mix of the ipod and zune a b**t**d, or perhaps a diseased child

Collapse -
ipod
by metanoya / September 22, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

I have a macbook and zunes don't mix well. and i'm an apple fan girl =P

Candice

Collapse -
Neither
by Kev50027 / September 22, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

I'm waiting to get one of those new Archos devices. Those things are far better than anything Microsoft or Apple has out, offer more features for the same price, and they're cooler too!

Collapse -
Hmm
by Nicholas Buenk / September 23, 2007 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Neither

Aren't they huge, like the size of a psp or UMPC?

Collapse -
No...
by inflammable / September 29, 2007 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

No. I own an AV500... and its pocketable... it has a 4 inch wide screen and fits my tightest pants...

They are way better than an ipod or zune.. in every feature...

if you think the 605 is big for you... look for the 405.. but im used to big players like the av500 so i dont really mind...

Its half as thick a psp... and way shorter... maybe same height

and definitely smaller than a umpc

Collapse -
I bought the iPod Touch last night....
by ktreb / September 22, 2007 9:45 AM PDT

The iphoria has died off a bit, but I'm still glad I bought it. The Archos Gen 5 players are nice, though. I almost bought the 405 until Apple announced the iPod Touch. I really wanted the iPhone without the phone, and I got it.

Collapse -
iPod
by Nicholas Buenk / September 23, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

Zune is not mac friendly. Or podcast friendly.

Collapse -
zune and outside music
by girl_techie / September 23, 2007 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: iPod

Can you add music on the zune at all? I haven't heard of any software that does it.

Collapse -
Microsoft has software.....
by Nicholas Buenk / September 23, 2007 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: zune and outside music
Collapse -
(NT) Just a quick one. MP3s and CDs added fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: zune and outside music
Collapse -
Really?
by milkky / September 25, 2007 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: iPod

First I've heard "not podcast friendly". How is that? Seems to me that the podcast is just another mp3 when all is said and done, so I wouldn't have expected any differentiation.

Collapse -
podcasts
by dmdzine / September 25, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?

You could manually download all those podcasts in mp3 format if you really wanted to... I won't wait for it though... The zune has no podcast downloading/updating/syncing software, making it different from pretty much every other mp3 player on the planet

Collapse -
What about WMP11?
by milkky / September 25, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: podcasts

I don't like it so much myself--especially inability to auto-(re)tag stuff, but I've fallen into a pretty straightforward setup--I have a Zen Vision: M--no great shakes with its' software either, tho I really like the player--so I use IPodder to schedule the dl's every midnight (all as mp3's except for the CNET TV vidcast)with WMP setup for that directory and its' subs. I connect my player every morning and it synchs right up. I wouldn't have to do anymore than just connect except for the fact that I don't like some of the tags (some of the NPR stuff doesn't label as a "podcast" and my little concrete mind just can't handle that!) so I spend like 10 seconds renaming stuff before I synch.

FWIW, very automatic at this point, and it was pretty easy to get there. End up with non-proprietary stuff I can play anywhere and anytime. Haven't listened to my car radio in months! All helps keep me in my happy place.

Collapse -
Couldnt you just download...
by Magishine / October 1, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: podcasts

...a separate podcast program? There's a lot of them that will download your podcasts and put them on your player if you wish (Juice comes to mind)

Collapse -
My inability to change
by milkky / October 1, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

is apparent. Juice = IPodder. I knew that somewhere deep in my head, but the name of the program has not changed on my system, despite getting the latest updates, so I just can't seem to make the switch in the name.

Its a solid, set-and-forget program without a huge number of bells and whistles. You might have to spend a minute or two finding the 'casts sites so as to enter them in Juice, which iTunes would apparently sometimes do more easily for you (I usually get the site in one click after Google search, so I'm not even convinced of the great superiority of iTunes there), but staying away from the prorietary (and now forced upgrades?) has seemed a very good trade-off to me.

Collapse -
The whole reason a podcast is called a podcast...
by Nicholas Buenk / September 25, 2007 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Really?

Is because itunes completely automates the process.... Why if not for that I doubt many people would go to the trouble of listening to podcasts.

Collapse -
But I don't use iTunes for podcasts...

True, at one point I did, but that was pretty much all I used iTunes for at the time. I don't even own an iPod. Now I either listen to BOL from the web site or through the software that came with my creative zen. I know I may be more of an exception than the rule, but I think a lot of podcasts may be "discovered" by people on iTunes but it's not necessarily the means through which they get them.

Collapse -
As most people have ipods
by Nicholas Buenk / October 1, 2007 4:59 PM PDT

And itunes automatically downloads and puts it on the ipod for you...
I don't think many people have a reason to use anything else.

Collapse -
Got the Pod
by Renegade Knight / September 25, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

The Zune comes from a company that has both cost me money and makes software that doesn't do the job, wastes my time with false validity alarms, and doesn't offer functional support for their own problems. With that track record why the heck would I spend money on a Zune that won't sync, won't work right, won't pass validation, and won't be supported if it's broken?

Collapse -
ipod
by Exnie / September 25, 2007 10:09 AM PDT

I'm sorry, but I just can't get over the squircle... iPod for the win!

Collapse -
Zune who?
by doerrstop / September 25, 2007 11:28 PM PDT

Except for the wooters who got it for a steal, and MS employees who were banned from ipods, does anybody own a Zune? I have never seen one in the wild and if anyone asked me to squirt them a song, I think I'd punch them.

Collapse -
A Creative Zen
by Magishine / October 1, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

My wife wants a nano (Which she calls affectionately the "iFat"). I wanted a touch for a while, but I'm going to end up getting a Zen. The touch is too expensive for the amount of space it has and the Zen has more features. Also, I'm not quite ready to migrate to a touchscreen interface just yet. I'm one of those dinosaurs that likes to be able to change the track without having to look at the player.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.