Laptops forum

General discussion

Worth it to replace motherboard on HP Pavilion laptop?

by bigelowbkm / March 20, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

Hi, everyone--I need some advice, and I'm hoping you'll find the time to answer my question. I purchased an HP Pavilion dv9005us in January of 2007. My two-year warranty expired two-and-a-half months ago. I used the Pavilion mainly for freelance editing assignments, online research, general Internet surfing, e-mail, and minimal photo storage. A few days ago, I went to turn on my laptop and it wouldn't power up. I even purchased a new power cord, thinking there might be a short in the old one. Still no luck. The only light that comes on is the blue light at the tip of the power cord adapter. None of the lights on the keyboard go on, and nothing happens on the screen. On the advice of a well-meaning acquaintance, I tried a little experiment: I unplugged the box, took the battery out, and held down the power button for two minutes. After returning the battery and reinserting the cord, the Pavilion still wouldn't turn on. Please note that the machine is out of warranty. HP says the motherboard must be replaced and it will cost $298 plus tax. Do you think it's worth fixing, or should I put the $300 toward a new laptop? Thanks in advance for any assistance! Happy All best--Barbara

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Worth it to replace motherboard on HP Pavilion laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Worth it to replace motherboard on HP Pavilion laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My friends had their dv6000 series fail in warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

And the new motherboard was put it. It's well past its year warranty and no sign of trouble.

It's simple economics. You do the math, make the choices about warranty and the sad truth is that repairs can reach stratospheric heights. But you are at the breaking point of an accepted decision point which is FIFTY PERCENT OF NEW.

Here's where I've made another discovery. DISPOSAL COSTS can be daunting so call HP and see if they'll take back the old and supply a new without incurring shipping or disposal fees.

Just wondering. Will you get a longer warranty next time?

And we truly rent these things. You seem to be revealing your rent was 50 a month.
Bob

Collapse -
Please clarify response to HP Pavilion motherboard qx
by bigelowbkm / March 20, 2009 3:42 AM PDT

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I need to back up and ask a few questions. I had a two-year warranty, not just one year. Do you think a longer warranty agreement would have been a wiser choice? And regarding your comment that "you are at the breaking point of an accepted decision point which is 50% of new," does that mean the $300 charge to fix the HP is about half of the cost of a comparable new laptop? I'm weighing my options and looking for advice on whether it's worth it to invest that much money in a 27-month-old laptop (used, on average, 40 hours per week). What's the expected lifespan for a device like this used as I've described?

Collapse -
At two years your rent was 30 or less a month.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 3:52 AM PDT

But that's the issue and decision we need to make. That warranty sometimes doesn't pay off, sometimes it does. Let's skip to today, the situation and another item you may have to replace that pushes you well into over the 50 percent mark.

The battery is likely a shadow of itself. So toss that in and you should be shopping for a new laptop.

At that much use, the keyboard is likely to show some signs. Let's say I think it's time to go shopping.

"What's the expected lifespan for a device like this used as I've described?"

Two to three years. There is a hard limit of 5 built into the design but you only get there under ideal conditions.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: HP Pavilion replacement
by bigelowbkm / March 20, 2009 4:05 AM PDT

Okay, thanks. Now I need to do some serious research on a possible replacement--not another HP--in the neighborhood of $500-$600. I've been looking at Acer, Asus, and Lenovo. If you have any recommendations, do let me know.
Thanks again!
Barbara

Collapse -
Why change names?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

In that price range they all get about the same "rent." That is, you can find your story on any name. I'm typing on a HP dv6910us that I paid 550 for and at 2 years I know to start shopping.

Even desktops don't fair well as you have a failed fan, CD/DVD drive and more.

The consumers have pressured the makers to deliver low cost machines over long life machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Not happy with help desk
by bigelowbkm / March 21, 2009 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Why change names?

Hi again,
When I initially called the HP help desk about this problem, I was given the option of paying $50 for a tech support person to "talk me through" a limited number of possible fixes (I think I could ask 4 questions). I had already told the help guy that the machine wouldn't power up--how could he expect someone to "talk me through" anything? I didn't yell at him or get nasty, but I did tell him that his idea seemed like an inappropriate solution (translate as "a scam"). He just gave me a little giggle and moved on to the $300 motherboard suggestion. If this is the way HP does business, I don't want to buy another product from them.
All best--Barbara

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

For out of warranty calls, I can safely bet that every maker will be the same. I know what you are asking for but unless it's in warranty it's pay as you go. EVEN TO TALK ABOUT IT.

Those people cost money and if you are not in warranty then there is no cash to pay for them to talk to you.

Its a business. And business is going to sound cruel, mean, nasty so be sure you know that switching companies just because of this only results in a repeat with the next company.

I hope that you understand this without getting upset with me.
Bob

Collapse -
Just so you know
by bigelowbkm / March 22, 2009 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

I'm not upset with you at all, Bob, and I thank you for your responses. What bothered me was that the help-desk person knew the $50 four-question deal would be a waste, yet he tried to sell it to me anyway. When I refused that course of action, he admitted to me that he knew it was the motherboard that needed replacing. If he knew that all along, why not just tell me from the start? It would have earned him and the company some future business.
All best--Barbara

Collapse -
ooouh ooouh!! I know this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know

"They are trained." And there are task masters that watch over them that they never deviate from "the script" or their training.

I will say that you do fair better at the Apple Genius Bar since it's one on one, face to face and people tend to treat people like people under those conditions. The nice thing about that setup is you set the tone of the encounter. If you are lucky and get a good person they apply themselves even if the situation is a bad one.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe
by Renegade Knight / March 23, 2009 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know

They don't know it's the mother board. The suspect based on expereince. It could be something else.

Collapse -
HP Presario
by ScottLaVoie / October 24, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

I had a similiar problem with my HP Presario, I paid nearly 1k for it and as soon as the waranty ran out guess what? Yep it died, get a blue light that blinks. Have figured out that it is the video card and motherboard is fried and HP had been having problems like this for some time - not sure if they figured it out or not. Initially calling HP was totally pointless, and I have since switched to ASUS myself.

Collapse -
Changing Companies
by Renegade Knight / March 23, 2009 4:47 AM PDT

HP hasn't done you wrong. Nobody else is going to do you any better as well. I've had better than average luck with HP support. Medium luck with their laptops. I'd not rule them out.

For the price the repair on your orginal laptop is fairly reasonable. I'd also consider the repair. Especially if the laptop is performing well for your needs.

If you do want to upgrade keep in mind a 500-600 laptop is a throw away machine. Expect 3 years and replace.

Collapse -
Went for the repair
by bigelowbkm / March 31, 2009 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Changing Companies

HP replaced the motherboard and the LCD bezel. Turnaround was fast. Just got it back via FedEx, and things seem to be fine. (I'm using it right now.) Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Happy Barbara

Collapse -
easy
by korkom30 / July 31, 2009 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Never hp
by sanjayp26 / September 21, 2011 3:18 AM PDT

I have bought hp a6040n ,from day one to 2 years ago they took 4 time in repair shop ,never fixed noe last time they told me out of warrenty will not repair. hp sucks i have both asus to replace hp. best computer for money works flow less no problems so ever i would suggest asus over all.

Collapse -
try this next time
by Kegtapper / March 22, 2009 8:49 AM PDT

Remove the battery
hold the power button 30 sec
while still holding, insert the power supply
you will see the lights flicker (reading default info into flash ram)
then they will go out.
Release power button, then press and restart system.

This is one of things that happens when either CMOS settings are lost, or CMOS battery dies too soon. Or a host of other issues that happen with the HANN-STAR motherboards. BTW- they make them for Acer and Dell too!

So you may be changing brands, but getting different set of headaches.

Collapse -
forgot to add
by Kegtapper / March 22, 2009 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: try this next time

Your problem was not severe as most. Seems like it was only the MOSFETS on the frontend. Using the cheapest chips is not always the best solution.

I'd bet it was one of the Anachip AF4407/13/22/68 chips on the power in section. they keep changing the chip numbers but not improving durability or ability to hande surge/bounce. I always pull them and use Fairchild subs.

Collapse -
mosfet replacement
by quemaita / October 13, 2010 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: forgot to add

do you have any schematics or test points to check for voltages?
tx - q

Collapse -
The bad news is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: mosfet replacement

The dv6000/9000 model is now well known what the issues are. No schematics were issued so all you can do is swap chips or boards.

Collapse -
possible replacement?
by quemaita / October 14, 2010 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: The bad news is.
Collapse -
One more PDF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: possible replacement?

I'd have to have the old part's PDF in order to compare the specs with the new part.

Collapse -
original part
by quemaita / October 14, 2010 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: One more PDF
Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: original part

But there are too many parameters that fail to let this be a good replacement. Look at Id and your replacement part is lower. And Vgs is 5 volts off too.

Your choice but I don't think this is a good sub.
Bob

Collapse -
In response to "try this ..."
by bigelowbkm / March 25, 2009 10:48 PM PDT

Hi--I did try this, and I thank you for the instructions, but it didn't work. I ended up sending the Pavilion back to HP for repairs. I realize it's a gamble, but I really don't have the cash right now to purchase a higher-end laptop. I'm crossing my fingers that I've made the right decision. Will post an update when I hear from HP with more news. Thanks--Barbara

Collapse -
HP laptop
by shwnlgo / April 21, 2010 4:31 AM PDT

I have a 1-1/2yr laptop that fell if a kitchen countertop. What are your thoughts as to replacing a motherboard with a used one? The repair shop called HP and its $450 for a new motherboard (90-day warranty) versus $225 for a used one (25 day warranty). And $150 labor to install it.

Cant decide whether to get a new one if go for the repair,
Sherwin

Collapse -
When repair exceeds 50% new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2010 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: HP laptop

That's my decision point to skip repair. I soften the blow by selling off the old parts. (ebay or such.)

The drop can have damaged the LCD, hard disk so that's another reason to not repair.
Bob

Collapse -
The way the prices have come down on laptops
by orlbuckeye / March 25, 2009 11:48 PM PDT

I would never change a motherboard unless it was covered under a warranty because it's cheaper to buy a new machine.

Collapse -
Well ...
by bigelowbkm / March 26, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

People have been telling me that the $600 (out the door, including tax and warranty) I can afford to spend on a new laptop wouldn't be enough to get anything other than another "disposable" model that will only last 2-3 years. What's done is done. I respect your opinion, but I really don't need to hear that I've made the wrong decision at this point. (Please note that the topic of my first post was, "Is it worth it to replace the motherboard on my HP Pavilion?")

Collapse -
Went for repair?
by merryroger / August 10, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

Perhaps it's late and different manufacturer. But still wanted to add some.
I got a dell with video issues and of course it's out of warranty. Repair places quote me about $250 just for the parts (plus 2 hours of labor-$150). That's about $400.
$400 to repair my 3 year old laptop or add a couple of hundreds and get a new one... Of course new one might develop some issues but at least I'll have peace of mind for a couple of years while warranty is still valid.

I found this web site www.laptopsintocash.com and they offer $170 for my model.
For that money (Even just adding $400 to $170) I could get a new laptop with 4 times the Video capacity, core 2 duo cpu and twice the RAM (comparing to what I have).
Of course the issue would be with all my stuff on the hard drive, probably would have to put it on external drive...
By the way anyone knows any website with some discount coupons or promotions/deals on new laptops?

Collapse -
BEWARE THAT SITE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2009 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Went for repair?

The stories continue to pour in that you get a quote for the dollar and send it in. Then they start discounting it down to the usual 50 to 99 bucks.

Don't say you weren't told about this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.