Speakeasy

General discussion

worst Christmas sales season in years?

by Roger NC / December 26, 2012 8:17 PM PST

Sandy was a probably a lot.

The school shooting may have dampened enthusiasm.

Fear of the fiscal cliff, esp drummed into everyone every news cast, probably had as much to do with as either did. Maybe no more, but probably as much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: worst Christmas sales season in years?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: worst Christmas sales season in years?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what was aired on news I saw yesterday
by Steven Haninger / December 26, 2012 9:27 PM PST

it was just that sales didn't increase by as much as in years past. They didn't decrease either. The report also said that final figures were not in. In any event, it won't change my plans for today or tomorrow.

Collapse -
As I understand it, about 50% of the year's sales occur
by Ziks511 / December 27, 2012 12:15 PM PST

between Nov. 20 and the end of December. Perhaps it is saging this year because of Sandy, and general economic unhappiness. It is to be hoped that it will pick up in a year or two as the worst of the depression lifts. Always assuming it does that is.

Rob

Collapse -
Saging sales
by James Denison / December 27, 2012 12:22 PM PST

just need more thyme.

Collapse -
People are preparing instead
by TONI H / December 27, 2012 6:07 PM PST

for the 'new' recession that's coming in the next few months.......

Collapse -
ironically, preparing for such can also insure such
by Roger NC / December 29, 2012 12:18 AM PST

at least short term.

Don't get me wrong, people need to consider the near future probabilities as well as long term. For several decades we, Americans, have ignored planning for the future too often and too much. Some live paycheck to paycheck because it takes everything to get by. Others do it because they're not willing to wait for anything. Probably all of us have bought something sometime that cost more than we should have spent at that time. Too often the last 40 years people bought whatever whenever it struck their fancy, by any means available, even borrying to pay off loans.

It is true too that too much caution and fear will cause people to cut back so much the fear is self-fulling. Frugality can cause sales to decrease to the point that layoff occur, more people spend less, and spiraling begins.

That said, I can't fault anyone, indeed encourage people to try to save a little more. I've noticed the recommendation for emergency funds seems to have changed from 6 months income to 8 months lately by tv experts that supposely know more than you and I. Of course, they make their money because people believe they have the answer.

Collapse -
What do you expect?
by Diana Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 10:31 PM PST

The newies are talking about going over the fiscal cliff and the typical family will be paying about $3500 more in taxes and the ss going up and farmers and others losing their subsidies and extended unemployment disappearing and so forth and so forth and so forth. Did retail and the government really expect them to make Christmas a big blowout?

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.