Computer Help forum

General discussion

by wheelwinner / March 19, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

Hi all ~ I was working on my HP computer the other night (about 3 yrs old). I use XP and Firefox browser. All of a sudden this official looking window popped up (XP ANTIVIRUS ONLINE SCANNER it said) and telling me I had a virus and trojan horse that Norton is unable to detect. It freaked me out since I had no idea if this was a real threat or just someone trying to sell me something. I've run Norton and Spybot with no problems (other than tracking cookies which I eliminated). Do I have big troubles or not? The computer seems to be working the same as always. If anyone can help me, please know that while I am not computer illiterate or a newbie, I am also not a techie and need simple instructions.

Discussion is locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No worried
by chris_lampkin / March 19, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

Sounds like a popup either designed to take you to a website that will try to sell you something OR talk you into downloading some real virus/spyware filled software.

Collapse -
XP Antivirus Is Malware!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 6:46 AM PDT

Your Norton may not have picked it up but if you're getting those popups on the computer, then you'll need to use different tools to remove the rogue antivirus program called "XP Antivirus".. Please follow the instructions in the link below:

How to remove XP AntiVirus

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Nightmares0nwax / March 19, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

hmm yeh if its not that then its likely just a popup trying to convince you to download it. its a trojan so dont =P

you can turn on popup control with firefox.

cant hurt to try grifs advice though =)

Collapse -
Thanks All ~
by wheelwinner / March 19, 2008 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: TROJAN!!

Spoon ... I did check my browser and the popup blocker IS turned on but somehow that one got through. I'm always leery about checking (or unchecking things) which I know little about but I try to use this site to learn a little here and there. I just changed my Private Data to get rid of Cookies when I close Firefox ... is this a good move or will it cause problems?

Grif ... I read all the instructions for your recommendation and my head was swimming ... I don't know if I can handle it or will I just mess up and make things worse. I started with computers when the OS was DOS and you got an A promt! Now it is so complicated it blows my mind.

I've been using Norton for years ... tried McAfee but it messed up my computer real bad so I removed it and went back to Norton ... my son-in-law uses PC CILLAN ... do either of you have good or bad feelings about this program? My Norton runs out in another month or so.

To all who answered, I send you my heartfelt thanks. This grandma is trying to stay "with it" but it sure can be confusing.

Collapse -
problem downloading activescan
by rvboyz / June 18, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

I followed all of the instructions - athe popup has continued to occur throughout the process. Now I have registered with Panda but am getting an error message "Sorry, updating is incomplete due to an error. Please try again." and can't get past it. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Then Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 5:30 AM PDT

AFter deleting the XPAntivirus folder and running the "FixXPAV.reg " file to clean up the registry, then follow the instructions below:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
by Debbie0560 / August 7, 2008 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Then Try This...

Like others, I signed onto this forum to express my gratitude for your help. I tried to manually delete the virus, but the more files I deleted the more problems occurred. I downloaded the malware software, update and copied it onto a disk and download it to the infected computer. WOW!!! in just minutes the trojan was gone. Grif, you are truly a lifesaver. I thought I had to wipe the OS clean and loose some files. I was so elated that I contacted my friends and told them about this site. Thanks Again..... I will continue to use it for future problems.

Collapse -
No wallpaper/background - now what?
by Seticat / August 9, 2008 1:18 PM PDT

I'm getting rid of the malware and I find I no longer have a background. Just the stock blue screen. So I right click on the screen to change the display and find that there are only three tabs left and not five and no option to change the wallpaper.

I go to 'display' and still get the three tab box. Help?

I run XPPro with 2 GB RAM and Norton as an antivirus. Just ran Malwarebytes. But how do I get my background - any background - back?

Collapse -
(NT) Continue Reading Other Posts In This Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
two other programs can help to....
by dmf08 / August 20, 2008 6:35 AM PDT

Spybot1.6 And ad-aware2008
should help with the background problem, spybot will find the fake windows alert that is hiding the tabs

Collapse -
sucessfull in removing xp Antivirus 2008
by parmi4u / August 18, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

thanks a lot for ur posting man, i followed the steps the way u mentioned and i sucessfully removed the hell out of my laptop. i was using XP Proffecsional SP 3. i had Trend Micro Anti Spyware, it detected XP antivirus, but could able to fix only cookies not eveything. then i was looking for some help online. i found ur post and gave it a shot. it worked well and am back. i lost whole my weekend in fixing this. and could not sleep. do you suggest me to buy this product malawarebytes!!
Great post. thanks alot once again.

Collapse -
Great Advice
by vinylman4533 / August 30, 2008 6:50 PM PDT

Thanks Grif for those tips. I too had my computer infected by this
nasty xp antivirus 2008 bug and I have successfully removed it from my machine.

Collapse -
by brittsev / August 20, 2008 3:16 AM PDT

I was in a different forum about losing my wallpaper and my desktop tabs. they suggested that i check this forum out for help too.

I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with no problems. i ran a quick search,it showed i had 38 checked quarantined boxed for removal.i clicked remove and it said i needed to restart my computer. when my computer rebooted i was holding my breath worried it might not work. well so far so good i have my screen back and when i rebooted my computer it stayed normal. No "blue virus screen of death", and i didn't lose my desktop tabs. I think the key thing is that i didn't try to remove anything manual first. i just ran the program and let it do its thing.
thank you so much for all your help, i am and will always be internally great full.

Collapse -
grif, you are the best!!!
by BBEW5252 / August 20, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

I too, got it last w/e, and spent many hours trying to fix it...until I found your posts (should have tried CNET first)!

Thank God for you!

Many, many thanks!!! (a fairly experienced and careful computer user)

Collapse -
Getting rid of Antivirus XP 2008
by Harriet UK / August 25, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

Hi, I managed to get infected by the dreaded Antivirus XP 2008 and have been trying to get rid of it but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the technical side of computers and want to check if it's totally gone. First I downloaded Spybot search and destroy as recommended by a friend - this seemed to find a number of infected files which I subsequently deleted but it didn't fix the problem. The virus was clearly still on my computer and suspicious-looking pop-ups kept appearing (such as a bogus-looking McAfee Virus warning telling me to click on a link if I didn't trust the program that was trying to install - the way I believe I first got infected with the virus because I didn't realise it was a fake McAfee virus window). I then found the forums on CNET and downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which found roughly 40 infected files. I clicked on the link to remove all the infected files which it did, apart from a couple which it said it couldn't remove and so I followed Grif's instructions to restart my computer and when I did so it looks like they've all been removed. The pop-ups have disappeared and things look much better. However, my desktop is still blue but the yellow box stating my computer might be infected has disappeared, as has the Antivirus XP 2008 icon in the bottom toolbar next to the start-up menu. So far, all looks good. However, the shortcuts to the Antivirus XP 2008 are still appearing in my start-up menu, although it looks like they're just the shortcuts remaining for the program that now no longer exists.

How can I be sure I've got rid of the whole virus? Also, does the fact that my desktop is still blue mean my computer is still infected, or is that something I have to manually change again to set it to my original wallpaper? Is there anything else I should do? (e.g. run any other anti-spyware programs in case they pick up something which this one didn't?)

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but there are so many posts all saying different things so I wanted to post my own question specific to my computer and what I've done so far. Thanks for any help, gratefully appreciated!!!

P.S. My computer is a Samsung V25 laptop and I have Windows XP

Collapse -
Getting rid of Antivirus XP 2008
by Harriet UK / August 25, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

P.S. I forgot to mention that I keep getting a pop-up from Spybot Search & Destroy saying it has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.
The Category is: 'Shell Services'
Change: 'Value added'
Entry: zVFlaGG
New data: {5CBDE34E-F617-49E4-FD3F-11FC77F4F479

I'm now being a bit suspicious of everything, having clicked on a link within what I thought was McAfee only to discover that was fake and that was what installed the virus in the first place. Is this something I should be worried about? Shall I click on allow or deny change? I have no idea what it means!!! Thanks again....

Collapse -
antivirus xp 2008
by shamus53 / September 3, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

I am currently unable to access the necessary web sites (malawarebytes etc.) in order to fight this virus (xp 2008).Everytime I try to access a website my browser (firefox) comes back with the message "unable to connect".Therefore I'm unable to download the programs needed to scan and desroy this ******.Is there a way to get access to these programs using another browser so I don't get redirected as I do when I tried via google?HELP

Collapse -
Read Further In This Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: antivirus xp 2008

Other suggestions such as using a friend or family member's computer to download the needed programs has been suggested and used effectively.. Copy the antispyware program installer files to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to your problem machine.. Install the program and you're off and running.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
antivirus xp08
by C.C.M. / September 19, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

I have followed your instructions listed and it got rid of the small icon in the corner and thankfully is not popping up anymore, but when I go to control panel/ add/remove programs it is still listed there. When I try and remove it gives me an error that says uninstall has encountered a problem and needs to close. then it gives me a choice whether i want to send an error report or not. is there any way to remove this? i want to make sure it is completely gone. thanks.

Collapse -
A Little Registry Cleanup Is Needed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: antivirus xp08

IF you've removed the entire program and the only remnant is that which is left in Add/Remove Programs section, try using the registry edit in the link below to remove the remaining listing in Add/Remove Programs:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
antivirus xp 2008
by fmsam / September 19, 2008 9:53 PM PDT

like every one else here i have got the same antivirus xp 2008 pop up.

Grif you seem to be the man so please help me. i have read some of the feeds. i have AVG and SPYBOT which have both worked fine but can not detect this current virus. i have downloaded rogueremover it found 2 problems, i deleted them yet i still have this dam virus. i then run a scan called SpyHunter, it found what seemed like all my problems. when i went to fix then it directed me to a page asking me to pay and so did the MajorGeek website.

so please help me further to cure this. ps i am no computir boff, all self taught im afraid. thanx fmsam.

Collapse -
You Didn't Try The Fix From This Thread??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: antivirus xp 2008
Collapse -
antivirus removal
by fmsam / September 20, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

i asked sir because while reading it all sounds gobble de **** to me.

my pc will not let me delete the antivirus virus.

i could not find a link for the MBAM on major geek link you gave me.

Collapse -
Use A Friend Or Family Member's Computer..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: antivirus removal

The XP Antivirus 2008 malware will frequently block the sites where removal tools exist.. You'll need to follow the steps on a separate, clean computer. There are steps how to do this further down in the thread.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
grif...thank you thank you thank you
by rox530 / September 23, 2008 4:47 AM PDT

I'm so glad that there are forums like this with very well informed members who can help. With all of the info posted here, it looks like I was finally able to get rid of this nasty thing. Thanks so much to Grif and everyone else!

Collapse -
Tried to dl Malwarebytes, got 2 run time errors??
by ln06 / August 9, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

Antivirus XP 2008 got installed on my computer last night, and I immediately googled it to find your site. I downloaded Malwarebytes, but during install came up with two run time errors. The first one is a 'vbAccelerator SGrid II Control' saying "Run-time error '0'" and the second is 'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' saying "Run-time error '440': Automation error". What can I do to fix this? I haven't seen anyone else have this problem, what is wrong with my computer??

Collapse -
Is This On A Windows 98 Computer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

Unfortunately, you've given us no information about your computer.. Which operating system? And if Windows XP, which service pack, and which version..HOME or PRO?

In the meantime, please start by downloading the Fixswen.inf file below to your desktop and once it's there, RIGHT click on the file, choose "Install" from the little menu... (It may look like it does nothing but it should fix some of your issues.)

(RIGHT click on the link below, choose "save Target As", then direct the file to your desktop.)

Next, there are some folks that are unable to actually run/install Malwarebytes because the malware is blocking it.. Instead, rename the Malwarebytes installer file to something else, like GoGetUm.exe and see if installs correctly.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Dl Fixswen, tried to install Malwarebytes, still no good
by ln06 / August 9, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

Sorry, my computer is running XP Pro, and it's an Inspiron 6000. I downloaded the Fixswen.inf, right clicked it and selected 'Install'. I then ran the downloaded version of Malwarebytes that I gave a different name to, but I still got the same run time errors. The download will run, and towards the last 25% the run time errors pop up. At the end when the install is finished and I select that I want to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, the windows for the run time errors pop up again and the program never opens. Since Fixswen hasn't fixed anything, what should I do?

Collapse -
Antivirus XP 08
by mwedzi / August 23, 2008 4:37 AM PDT

I am about to lose my mind. I feel like I've tried several permutations of several routes described to get rid of this virus and haven't been able to. I've downloaded SmitFraudFix, SuperAntiSpyWare, and Malwarebytes. SuperAntiSpyWare won't even run, andMalwarebytes always says it's unable to delete all the files. When I look at the Notepad log, it says it will delete them on reboot but if it does, they're back as soon as I open any browser (I have 3 browsers I've tried). I've run them when the computer started up regularly and in safe mode. I've done regedit to delete files I was told to delete. I've dragged hidden files that wouldn't let me delete them to the desktop as advised elsewhere and still couldn't delete some. I've gone to the start menu and deselected a file (beginning with lphc. . .) but it will be in the startup menu again upon reboot. I tried to delete the program but it generally doesn't let me. If I End Process for some suspicious processes running, I can finally see the programs (otherwise it shows a blank screen in add/remove programs) but either it does not allow me to see the program or won't let me delete it. I tried to do a system restore and there are no restore points other than today so I can't take it back to an earlier date. That file ati2evxx.exe keeps coming back along with several others that begin with lphc35, rhc75, and blphc and so forth.

I'm at a loss now. This is not my computer but my mother's and the original OS discs and whatnot were lost/destroyed in recent flood damage. She thinks she is going to have to just toss this computer. Is there anything she can do before that?

Collapse -
If You're Using Windows XP......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Antivirus XP 08

...which you didn't mention in your post, now that you know which files to manually delete, try using the Recovery Console to manually delete the problem files. You WILL need an XP disc to load the Recovery Console unless it's previously been installed on the computer.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.